Poll: Erik ten Hag Sack Watch & Next Manchester United Manager?

To sack or not to sack

• Total voters
Soldato
To be fair it makes a fair degree sense to do as is being reported. Interview some candidates and see how they shape up against the incumbent. They have given ten Hag the respect of not being sacked without a full process. They may even have told ten Hag they plan to speak with other candidates as part of the review. Lets see what this week brings. I suspect there will be a decision one way or another.
It does yes but I'm just generally unconvinced by the whole operation, from the initial investment (ideally the Glaziers should have sold) to the current status with the leaks etc.

Soldato
One thing's for sure, if they do now decide to keep Ten Hag and he somehow manages to make any sort of half decent start to the season, it'll be a minor miracle. The longer the uncertainty continues the more the cards are being stacked against any kind of successful continuation to his time at Old Trafford.

Personally, I didn't think there was a standout candidate to replace him. And seems maybe Ineos are in a similar boat, given they seem to be hedging their bets as much as possible. The longer they take, the more I think they'd have been better to back him now and quietly work on getting their ducks in order between now and January.
Couldn't agree more on all points made.

Last edited:
Soldato
Why not? You have got to be kidding with that first point. Because of everything we're seeing right now. Your own fans already beginning to turn on Ineos, calling the club a laughing stock and Mickymouse FC, let alone what rival fans are saying. You cannot compare the managerial position of one of the biggest football clubs in the world with <random position> at <random company> because those roles do not come with 0.0001% of the public scrutiny and they don't have 25 multimillionaires with massive egos working under them.

The message that all this sends out is loud and clear and it's that Ineos don't rate ETH. Anybody that doesn't believe that is kidding themselves. ETH has already struggled to deal with egos and tarts in the Utd dressing room and having his position undermined all summer will only make his job 10x harder next season, should he still be in a job.

And whether this particular story came from Utd's or Tuchel's end (I've seen Oli Kay, who has connections at Utd, in The Athletic write a variation of the same story) I'm not sure however there's been non stop stories around ETH's future from journo's at Utd's end. But anyway, I was merely thinking out loud. I struggle to see why Utd have allowed this to play out in the media the way they have and the only certainty I can take from this is they don't back ETH.
We've been Mickeymouse FC for ages though, this isn't anything new. It's business as usual. Banterchester United (not the first time I've used this).

Last edited:
Soldato
Every fanbase has idiot fans, United have the biggest fanbase so have a lot of idiots. If you're judging INEOS by what a few idiots are saying then wow. We'd never get anywhere if we fail every time a fan says something stupid. I'm pretty sure INEOS don't give a **** what a minority of morons are saying on the internet and will take the time they need to make the decision, not rush to a decision to appease people that have no patience.
Are you calling me an idiot?

Would you say the club is well run club? You can't call someone an idiot for pointing this out, surely? :cry: Well, I suppose you can...

Don
Every fanbase has idiot fans, United have the biggest fanbase so have a lot of idiots. If you're judging INEOS by what a few idiots are saying then wow. We'd never get anywhere if we fail every time a fan says something stupid. I'm pretty sure INEOS don't give a **** what a minority of morons are saying on the internet and will take the time they need to make the decision, not rush to a decision to appease people that have no patience.
Firstly I think I speak for every non Utd fan when I say I agree with you that Utd have lots of idiot fans :p ;)

Whether Ineos are concerned about appeasing them or not I'm not sure but surely they care about what is good for the club and as div0 points out and I've repeatedly said, what is going on now is clearly not good for ETH if he were to remain in charge, which is why I've drawn the conclusion that it's crystal clear that Ineos don't see a long term future for him.

Caporegime
Firstly I think I speak for every non Utd fan when I say I agree with you that Utd have lots of idiot fans :p ;)

Whether Ineos are concerned about appeasing them or not I'm not sure but surely they care about what is good for the club and as div0 points out and I've repeatedly said, what is going on now is clearly not good for ETH if he were to remain in charge, which is why I've drawn the conclusion that it's crystal clear that Ineos don't see a long term future for him.
We have no idea what has been said to ETH. He said they've talked and he knows where they stand and he's gone on holiday. Seems a bit silly to draw conclusions when you've not been in any of the conversations.

Don
We have no idea what has been said to ETH. He said they've talked and he knows where they stand and he's gone on holiday. Seems a bit silly to draw conclusions when you've not been in any of the conversations.
I don't need to have been involved in any conversations. It's just common sense Shami. You don't spend weeks interviewing other people for your managers job if you believe that manager has any long term future at the club. Other than a few Utd fans clutching at straws, everybody on the planet now believes that Ineos (at best) have serious doubts over ETH's ability to manage the club going forward and that is not good for Utd.

Caporegime
I don't need to have been involved in any conversations. It's just common sense Shami. You don't spend weeks interviewing other people for your managers job if you believe that manager has any long term future at the club. Other than a few Utd fans clutching at straws, everybody on the planet now believes that Ineos (at best) have serious doubts over ETH's ability to manage the club going forward and that is not good for Utd.
So you think they should have what, sacked him without having a clue who to appoint next? Given him a new contract if they weren't sure if he was the right man? What would have been acceptable to you and "everybody else on the planet"?

Don
So you think they should have what, sacked him without having a clue who to appoint next? Given him a new contract if they weren't sure if he was the right man? What would have been acceptable to you and "everybody else on the planet"?
No and I've never said anything of the sort but I do think that they should have been in a position to make whatever decision they were going to make by now. Which comes back to my initial post, why have they allowed it to drag on? There must be a reason and I'm not naive enough to believe they're just seeing if there's anybody better out there before deciding on ETH.

Caporegime
I guess for once in recent history it looks like they are taking their time and assessing their options. Surely that's much better now the season is over than knee jerking a reaction one way or another after winning a trophy. Not a fan of the man but he deserves a fair shot with fitter players after winning something in this City era.

I'm also not a fan of what he did with the Sancho situation but he atleast did what the actual united fans wanted which was to be tougher on the players attitudes. They might as well see out his contract.

Last edited:
Don
I've given you reasons, you've ignored them. Now you're calling me naive for thinking different to you. Different rules for mods right :)
I've not ignored them, I think they're ridiculous and do you really want to go down that road after you've labelled members idiots?

Don
I didn't label any members idiots, I made no personal insults. Not surprising you're deflecting though.
And I didn't label you naive. And pull the other one Shami. I've wrote reasoned posts throughout and you've now gone down this petty road rather than engage constructively. It's what you do though.

Caporegime
And I didn't label you naive. And pull the other one Shami. I've wrote reasoned posts throughout and you've now gone down this petty road rather than engage constructively. It's what you do though.
Yep, calling the opposing argument naïve is very constructive and grown up. Pat on the head for you. Feel free to put me on ignore if you want and stop replying, remember I can't put you on ignore and ignore your nonsense unfortunately.

Don
Yep, calling the opposing argument naïve is very constructive and grown up. Pat on the head for you. Feel free to put me on ignore if you want and stop replying, remember I can't put you on ignore and ignore your nonsense unfortunately.
Far more grown up than calling people idiots for not agreeing with you Shami. It seems irony is lost on you.

And I don't need to place you on ignore. I can and will post freely on this forum without the fear of upsetting you. You getting your nickers in a twist is entirely your problem, although it does sometimes (very often in fact) become my problem when I'm having to regularly delete posts of others mocking and ridiculing your nonsense. But if you have a problem with anything you can report it rather than derail a thread because you're upset with somebody saying something bad about Utd.

Soldato
Whether they're doing a thorough review or considering their options, it's obvious they don't rate ETH. All of these stories clearly point in that direction.
It would be pretty surprising if they were super-duper happy with him after limping to 8th in the league. Is it meant to be breaking news that the teams performance was awful this season and the new owners have question marks about his future?

Back
Top Bottom