Poll: Erik ten Hag Sack Watch & Next Manchester United Manager?

To sack or not to sack

• Total voters
Man of Honour
OP
People will twist any article to suit their preconceived view. I think what is clear at this point is the media have no idea what is going on, a far cry from what happened under the Glazers. They're just repeating the same points in their daily Utd articles now for engagement.

Quite possibly, but James Ducker will look an idiot if they sack him tomorrow. He's one of the better journalists.

Soldato
aka, if we get turned down from our 1st/2nd/3rd choice of replacement he'll stay, what club briefs the press that they are continuing to review the managers position. Either sack him or confirm he's there for the start of the new season.

Last edited:
Don
People will twist any article to suit their preconceived view. I think what is clear at this point is the media have no idea what is going on, a far cry from what happened under the Glazers. They're just repeating the same points in their daily Utd articles now for engagement.
Every single national and local outlet covering Utd are reporting the exact same thing by chance? And despite the constant negative speculation that these reports cause and despite it going on for weeks, Utd haven't refuted them either on or off the record despite them not being true?

I think what is clear is this story has come from somebody inside the club. That's how these things work. Had an odd journo reported this story then you could put it down to fabrication or somebody just guessing but when every outlet is running the same story and this story is running for weeks without any denial then you can safely say there's truth to it or at least somebody wants it reported.

Caporegime
Every single national and local outlet covering Utd are reporting the exact same thing by chance? And despite the constant negative speculation that these reports cause and despite it going on for weeks, Utd haven't refuted them either on or off the record despite them not being true?

I think what is clear is this story has come from somebody inside the club. That's how these things work. Had an odd journo reported this story then you could put it down to fabrication or somebody just guessing but when every outlet is running the same story and this story running for weeks without any denial then you can safely say there's truth to it or at least somebody wants it reported.
What like the stories he was going to be sacked regardless of the cup outcome? In the end they've been making up stories for years about us because it drives engagement. Remember when several publications claimed ETH had lost 50% of the dressing room?

Caporegime
I don't know about that. I think that being a manager at the top clubs in the world is almost always a hiding to nothing. There is a reason there is a managerial merry go round at at the top level. The following teams go through managers all the time.

Barca
Bayern
RM
United
Chelsea
Dortmund

There are honestly very few top teams that have long term stable managers. Liverpool until recently but they will probably be added to the above list now. City because they have had Pep for ages but when he goes (probably after next season) they will struggle. Atletico Madrid with Simeone. Can't think of many more.

Managers last a few years these days quite often.
Arsenal have had 3 managers in 28 years, and will very likely hit at least 30 years with that number.

Don
What like the stories he was going to be sacked regardless of the cup outcome? In the end they've been making up stories for years about us because it drives engagement. Remember when several publications claimed ETH had lost 50% of the dressing room?
So you believe that every outlet has run with the same story by absolute chance and that Utd are happy for them to report this despite it being completely untrue?

And I'm not aware that every outlet claimed ETH would be sacked the day after the final regardless of the outcome (didn't that story come from somebody at the Guardian that doesn't cover Utd?) or that ETH had lost 50% of the dressing room. Can you link to examples of this?

Caporegime
So you believe that every outlet has run with the same story by absolute chance and that Utd are happy for them to report this despite it being completely untrue?

And I'm not aware that every outlet claimed ETH would be sacked the day after the final regardless of the outcome (didn't that story come from somebody at the Guardian that doesn't cover Utd?) or that ETH had lost 50% of the dressing room. Can you link to examples of this?
One person releases an article, the rest copy and reword it. Especially as the 'exclusive' basically says nothing has happened yet lol. The same thing happened the day before the cup final, one person wrote that ETH was going to be sacked and suddenly there were 20 more articles about it from all the usual suspects. If this was a media brief from the club it would be all the high tier reporters and all in a very short space of time.

Don
One person releases an article, the rest copy and reword it. Especially as the 'exclusive' basically says nothing has happened yet lol. The same thing happened the day before the cup final, one person wrote that ETH was going to be sacked and suddenly there were 20 more articles about it from all the usual suspects. If this was a media brief from the club it would be all the high tier reporters and all in a very short space of time.
The same thing didn't happen before the cup final though. One journalist, who doesn't cover Utd day to day reported that ETH will be sacked regardless of the result (and still most probably will) but that story was not run by all the journalists that cover Utd all season (yes it was re-reported by others but not those close to Utd). This story however is. Whether it's James Ducker, Mark Ogden or Laurie Whitewell, the journalists that cover Utd day to day, who get fed stories by the club all year round are all reporting variations of the same story, that the club are carrying out a review and deciding on the managers future. And despite this same story being reported and re-reported for weeks, Utd have not once denied it. It's quite clearly been briefed by somebody at the club.

Now you can be upset with them for dragging the story out without any real updates if you like but as above, it's a safe bet that it's true or at the very least somebody at Utd wants it being reported. If this wasn't true then somebody at Utd would have told the press by now that it's not.

Soldato
Who is going to replace him? Next season is a write-off anyway, apparently, as we have no money to spend in the summer? Not as much as we need anyway, the club needs an overhaul.

Random thoughts:
First season was good but Rashford played well above his usual level because he needed new contract and other teams fell below their usual standards, so was it really that good or a one-off?
Won two trophies in two seasons (how can the players turn up in the final? OK City were poor, but the United players still turned up)
Injuries this season definitely haven't helped but then neither has ETH, perhaps we should have settled playing for draws instead of leaving ourselves wide-open?
Perhaps the players aren't good enough to play the way he wants to play but then Antony etc are his purchases (unless he had no choice but to take them? and it's not like he does the fee negotiations)
Has he lost the dressing room?

I'm 50/50, can see the case for keeping him and getting rid.

As I said in the other thread, he's being made a scapegoat IMO, the players are the bigger problem, by far. We'll be here again in two years time with the next manager, as someone else said on here.

Soldato
Now you can be upset with them for dragging the story out without any real updates if you like but as above, it's a safe bet that it's true or at the very least somebody at Utd wants it being reported. If this wasn't true then somebody at Utd would have told the press by now that it's not.
Maybe with them all working from home, they were too busy watching Netflix to tell the press its untrue

Soldato
Spent £400million

Finished 8th

Worst league position in Premier League history

Conceded the most goals

Scored the lowest amount of goals

Finished on minus goal difference

Most losses at Old Trafford in a season

Bottom of their Champions League group

Yeh ETH deserves another season, as far as I can tell from the above (not the quoted stats), because there is no one else right?

We are are better off keeping ETH as no one stands out to replace him!?

Do me a favour, he's got to go!

And let's not forget, this was a misreble season, also, what does he bring to the table apart from being a nice guy? I've not seen anything...

Mr Potato Head needs to stay away from the club.

The players don't want to play for him. They will play in a cup game/s as you know. They can (ie play for themselves).

League form was absolutley dire. If there was one suggestion that next season would be better with ETH then great, has there been lol? Has there ****.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Spent £400million

Finished 8th

Conceded the most goals

How many of that 400 million was available for selection?

We didn't concede the most goals. Believe it or not considering how poor we were with double digit different centre back partnerships and a gazillion back 4 combo's we had the 5th best defence in the league!!!!

Worst premier league position in history yes but our points total under wreck it Ralf was lower. 19/20 we finished 3rd with 66 points. Only 6 more points than this season. If you look we have been hovering around 60 points for years. In the 11 years since Fergie left we have made more than 70 points on just 3 occasions. Once with Jose, Ole and Erik. When you take into account our massive injury problems this year it could easily have seen us getting 70+ points again.

We finished on minus goal difference because we had a 75 million pound player who cannot be bothered to perform and had to be sent out on loan, We had 1 recognised striker who was out for vast chunks of the season who is still a kid learning his trade. Martial barely made double digit appearances this season. At one point our leading goal scorer was Scott Mctominay.

Champions League was a mess yes but that was basically all on Onana. He did come back strong towards the end of the season though.

Last edited:

fez

fez

Caporegime
League form was absolutley dire. If there was one suggestion that next season would be better with ETH then great, has there been lol? Has there ****.

I would be astonished if next season isn't better. We were missing 3 of our first choice defence for most of the season. With the right recruitment this summer I think we could have a decent season next year. That recruitment needs to largely be independent of EtH though. If they don't think there are better options out there then they should give him a one year extension to his contract and let him have next season.

No matter who we get in, we need to buy a few key players this summer. And hope that the rest of the squad can stay fit.

Hey, maybe this year is the year we finally get Frenkie De Jong and Ten Hag ball will achieve lift off?

Soldato
How many of that 400 million was available for selection?

We didn't concede the most goals. Believe it or not considering how poor we were with double digit different centre back partnerships and a gazillion back 4 combo's we had the 5th best defence in the league!!!!

Worst premier league position in history yes but our points total under wreck it Ralf was lower. 19/20 we finished 3rd with 66 points. Only 6 more points than this season. If you look we have been hovering around 60 points for years. In the 11 years since Fergie left we have made more than 70 points on just 3 occasions. Once with Jose, Ole and Erik. When you take into our account our massive injury problems this year it could easily have seen us getting 70+ points again.

We finished on minus goal difference because we had a 75 million pound player who cannot be bothered to perform and had to be sent out on loan, We had 1 recognised striker who was out for vast chunks of the season who is still a kid learning his trade. Martial barely made double digit appearances this season. At one point our leading goal scorer was Scott Mctominay.

Champions League was a mess yes but that was basically all on Onana. He did come back strong towards the end of the season though.
Context.

Obviously we didn't concede the most goals with regard all teams!!

And yes Onana did make some huge mistakes but came back strong at the end of the season (despite another mess up vs City in the cup final?).

We have had injuries, so have other clubs.

No faith in ETH, nothing to give me any confidence that will change that tbh.

But if you are onside with him (without VAR) then I respect your opinion.

As said, and I think I have made my point clear enough many times by now. I don't think he will bring this United team forward.

Soldato
@adam cool dude

Lets run away from reasoning and excuses and this and that.

Do you honestly think ETH will manage United to be a better team than the mess that they are now?

I mean seriously?

Not a dig, but I can't see it.

Soldato
Spent £400million

Finished 8th

Conceded the most goals

Yeh ETH deserves another season, as far as I can tell from the above (not the quoted stats), because there is no one else right?

We are are better off keeping ETH as no one stands out to replace him!?

Do me a favour, he's got to go!

And let's not forget, this was a misreble season, also, what does he bring to the table apart from being a nice guy? I've not seen anything...

Mr Potato Head needs to stay away from the club.

The players don't want to play for him. They will play in a cup game/s as you know. They can (ie play for themselves).

So do we sack any manager that wins trophies but doesn't get top 4 every season? What precedent does that set?

We all know that the drop off between our first and second 11 is massive.

Remember the start of last season, before we bought players in?

Last edited:
Soldato
So do we sack any manager that wins trophies but doesn't get top 4 every season? What precedent does that set?

We all know that the drop off between our first and second 11 is massive.

Remember the start of last season, before we bought players in?
It's a cup for god's sake.

Look at the week in week out.

Back
Top Bottom