Essential Android Apps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right people, one of my mates has just got a white S3 the other day. But he wants the clock and weather widget app like on my One X and also on his lockscreen he wants the same sort of weather widget.

I dont know if anything like that exists?? or will he have to root and put a custom rom on his S3??. Anyone have any ideas??

Beautiful widgets with a theme is probably the closest you will get, nothing will be exactly like the HTC widget as HTC take exception too people copying their stuff.

Can i add my domains email address to Gmail? I have a gmail account but don't use it. I cant see anything in the app. It does look better though

You can do all of this by logging into GMail on a PC then go to Settings > Accounts

With LCN i have it setup on their side to forward to my gmail, then i can reply from the LCN address, just depends what you want

Last edited:
Yeah going to stick with sense gallery I think. On the sense gallery when viewing a video you can take a snapshot/photo at the same time, which is a pretty big feature for me, plus you can change the speed at which the video playbacks for the slow motion videos, which is very useful as you can imagine :p I also can't use the audio enhancer effects on that gallery app :( I love the minimal UI of that gallery app though, but overall the sense UI is more functional and nice looking as well at the same time.

On Android regardless of the gallery you use, it prompts what you want to play the video back with, just choose Sense player, you then have the best of both worlds, ICS gallery + editing, and Sense Gallery video playback features.

I do the same when it comes to Samsung based app video playback as Samsung's player has additional EQ options and whatnot.

And popup video... ;)

On Android regardless of the gallery you use, it prompts what you want to play the video back with, just choose Sense player, you then have the best of both worlds, ICS gallery + editing, and Sense Gallery video playback features.

I do the same when it comes to Samsung based app video playback as Samsung's player has additional EQ options and whatnot.

And popup video... ;)

Yeah I suppose I could do that............... :p

Sort of person who hates having two apps that do the same things pretty much though, I just like having one app for a certain task :p :o

If you own the domain then its much easier to create a Google Apps account and email address with it than it is to faff about setting up a pop address and then configuring gmail to access it.

That said the other accounts setup is great. I use gmail to send and receive all emails for 3 gmail accounts, 2 hotmail accounts and 2 pop accounts.

What do people use for IM clinents? Just started Meebo and been told they have been bought by google and the app will stop working on the 11th July :(. It's a shame as it was by far the cleanest app, with just simple text and no pointless graphics or gimmicks. What do other people use for connections to gmail and msn messenger, and Skype if there is one out that that allows it?

n64oid works brilliant for me on my Play. It's not on the market anymore but if you google around you can find it.

For you rooted phone users, give this DNS changer a go: https://play.google.com/store/apps/...1bGwsMSwxLDMsInVrLmNvLm15dGVjaGllLnNldEROUyJd

Decided to randomly give it a go, noticed no difference on my home wifi but on my mobile network everything was a lot snappier. And here I thought it was just O2's network being slow... on their own DNS checking my allowance and balance never loads but this loads it instantly ;).

The only downside in getting gmail to check your pop3 account is that the email is checked once per hour and this is not adjustable.
Its not checked per hour, but on a basis depending on the frequency of the emails you receive. If it fetches many mails, then it'll check more frequently for you. You can get around it, so it checks more often, by automating fake emails to your domain so its constantly fetching something - or so I've heard. Alternatively, and what I use, is to forward all your incoming mail from your domain to your Gmail account...

Is there a 'Power' type App that will keep my Screen illuminated when the Phone is plugged into Power (either USB or AC/Car charger), but still dims the sleeps the screen when on Battery!.

I'd like to keep my Clock/Desktop/Weather Updates visible on My Desk when plugged into my PC.

Is there a 'Power' type App that will keep my Screen illuminated when the Phone is plugged into Power (either USB or AC/Car charger), but still dims the sleeps the screen when on Battery!.

I'd like to keep my Clock/Desktop/Weather Updates visible on My Desk when plugged into my PC.

There is but don't use ones that have a static screen on all the tome as that will result in screen burn.

I use Kaloer Clock to display the time and in screensaver mode it will move the time around the screen to avoid screen burn.

Assuming the version of ICS you've got on your phone is the same as the One S
In setting -> Display and gestures there is the option for Stay awake (Screen will never sleep while charging)

Simon

Assuming the version of ICS you've got on your phone is the same as the One S
In setting -> Display and gestures there is the option for Stay awake (Screen will never sleep while charging)

Simon

I've got that set but the screen goes very dim after 30 Seconds (it's still there if I look closely :D

Which is bad on AMOLED as you can get screen burn.

I've got a Sony Xperia Arc (not S) which has a plain old LCD (Bravia Engine blah blah blah) not an AMOLED :(

Nae Problems... I'll just have to stab the 'Home' button to light the screen up when I need it!1 :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom