Essential Android Apps

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about something like Viewranger?

You can download 1:25000 OS maps and it will follow your route using GPS, so you don't need to be in range of a 3G transmitter at all, if that is the sort of thing you are after.

It might at least be worth a look anyway.

I tried this the other day but without it being online the maps are not detailed when you zoom in, nor does the GPS seem to work? :(

Hmm, my message notifications seem to be delayed with go sms, shows that the message arrived at a certain time yet when I was on my phone at said time, nothing popped up, happened more than once.

Shame as I was really liking it again with that theme and "lite mode".

So sliding messaging reinstalled, will monitor it and see if the same happens.

You could.. you know.. root and flash CM10.1 ;)

You'll never have to fart around with custom sms apps and themes again :p

As said before, too much faff required :p Although I am getting very bored and tempted to root etc. now :p

go sms tends to use an approximate time for messages unless you enable 'strict' timestamps I think... try that (unless it was a good ten/twenty minutes out lol then it won't help that)

Yeah it would have been at least 10 minutes out :( Will reinstall again just to make sure though.

Does anyone use imedia lite?! I'm using it on my nexus 7 to stream to my lg TV but once in a while when watching a film, it will just stop, forcing me to exit the app, and restart it and fast forward t to where I was.

What's the best alarm app guys? Friend of mine recommended Gentle Alarm bit it doesn't look very pretty from the screen shots. Just want to be able to fade in mp3s,and maybe easily swap between loud and quiet alarms (I sometimes wear earplugs :p)

I use alarmdroid. Works really well with loads of options. I have all my alarms gently fade in over several minutes, and I can turn it off by simply flipping the phone over. :)

As said before, too much faff required :p Although I am getting very bored and tempted to root etc. now :p

How? If you are experienced it would probably take 10-15 mins to root and flash a ROM. If you are new to it and following a guide etc maybe 1 hour?

How long do you spend fiddling around with configuring apps and themes etc? Probably about the same amount of time I'd expect :p

He needs to find a rom, download it, download the tools he needs to flash, carefully study the instructions to make sure he does not brick his phone, carefully go through the steps of unlocking - rooting - flashing, donwload all his apps again, confirgure all his apps again, realises he has to play though half of the games he's started playing from the start again, install some root apps, tweak the rom settings, set up his homescreen again and because he now can backup all his apps with a program.

Oh and I didn't mention, that horrible wait where you don't know whether it's in a boot loop or not, gets me every time.

I think I'm finally going to root my ONEX so I can use datasync on my tablet and phone :)

Last edited:
He needs to find a rom, download it, download the tools he needs to flash, carefully study the instructions to make sure he does not brick his phone, carefully go through the steps of unlocking - rooting - flashing, donwload all his apps again, confirgure all his apps again, realises he has to play though half of the games he's started playing from the start again, install some root apps, tweak the rom settings, set up his homescreen again and because he now can backup all his apps with a program.

Oh and I didn't mention, that horrible wait where you don't know whether it's in a boot loop or not, gets me every time.

I think I'm finally going to root my ONEX so I can use datasync on my tablet and phone :)

root first (if possible - it should be) - then use titanium backup to backup all your user apps + data. Such a useful app.

flash a rom - restore all apps + data. All you need to do is configure the main phone settings + email etc.

All those cons you've listed, and you're going to root anyway :p

He could always root his current rom and do a titanium backup. No data loss :)

edit: kona beat me to it.

How? If you are experienced it would probably take 10-15 mins to root and flash a ROM. If you are new to it and following a guide etc maybe 1 hour?

How long do you spend fiddling around with configuring apps and themes etc? Probably about the same amount of time I'd expect :p

I'm thinking it's more the having to update them etc everytime a new version comes out... That's pretty much the only thing putting me off doing it, although I'm getting more and more tempted if there is some really worth having benefits.

root first (if possible - it should be)
You say that, but that has not been the case on phones or tablets I have rooted. Unlock/root requiring a wipe.

All those cons you've listed, and you're going to root anyway :p

He could always root his current rom and do a titanium backup. No data loss :)

edit: kona beat me to it.
I was speaking RE customization though, I'm going for the functionality :P

Oh and... What's up with Sworcery... It plods along being all great and ploddy then I get to this trigon thing and now it's all of a sudden a challenge, lost to it three times >.<'

Last edited:
I'm thinking it's more the having to update them etc everytime a new version comes out... That's pretty much the only thing putting me off doing it, although I'm getting more and more tempted if there is some really worth having benefits.

5 Minute download once every week or so, flash over the top of current rom.

Hardly a hassle :)

5 Minute download once every week or so, flash over the top of current rom.

Hardly a hassle :)

Oh WOW! I thought it'd be the entire install process over and over :p

So does that mean it'll leave all settings as per before the update?

I've been looking at CM10 but read on a few places that camera/bluetooth might be a bit iffy on it on the One S?

Oh WOW! I thought it'd be the entire install process over and over :p

So does that mean it'll leave all settings as per before the update?

I've been looking at CM10 but read on a few places that camera/bluetooth might be a bit iffy on it on the One S?

Unless the dev specifically says that a full wipe is required (rarely), you can just flash over the top and wipe any cache if you feel the need.

I'm not sure on the state of CM10/10.1 on the One S, but that sounds similar to the S3. I don't use the camera and bluetooth that often to worry about it though :)

Also if you switch between different dev roms you should wipe afaik - esp if it's between aosp/oem/aokp.

As I said before though wipe is a non issue thanks Ti-backup. Make a Nandroid too just incase anything goes wrong so you can go straight back to your old rom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom