Essential Android Apps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well yep, but how would it navigate you somewhere without gps? It gives you a route, it can't know where you are on that route to navigate you.

Unless I'm missing something, I can't imagine another way it could work?

Well yep, but how would it navigate you somewhere without gps? It gives you a route, it can't know where you are on that route to navigate you.

Unless I'm missing something, I can't imagine another way it could work?

Yes it would need GPS to navigate you. That i concede but if the maps tile is saved in "My Places" and the route is within that tile (or saved tiles) then why does it need a data connection for navigation?

Ah sorry, I see your point. Apologies, I missed your bit about turning on airplane mode. Just tried that and as you say you then can't do the route. I agree, makes offline maps fairly pointless.

Not completely pointless I guess, as having a map could still be better than nothing, but still not great.

I think you/people are forgetting what a MAP is. Offline maps is a MAP. Like this:
6a00c2252963c0549d00fa96a5b9f60003.jpg

What do you expect it to do? How can you call if fairly pointless when it works perfectly as a map. Of course an OFFLINE (normal) map isn't going to connect to your GPS....

Maybe I'm grumpy right now but it gives the impression you're like a young child who gets mad that all screen surfaces are not touch screens.

I think you/people are forgetting what a MAP is. Offline maps is a MAP. Like this:
6a00c2252963c0549d00fa96a5b9f60003.jpg

What do you expect it to do? How can you call if fairly pointless when it works perfectly as a map. Of course an OFFLINE (normal) map isn't going to connect to your GPS....

Maybe I'm grumpy right now but it gives the impression you're like a young child who gets mad that all screen surfaces are not touch screens.

Why on earth wouldn't ot connect to your GPS?

Why on earth wouldn't it connect to your GPS?

Exactly!
If GPS is ON then the maps app does use your GPS for location. Why couldn't Google make it so that the offline maps could use your location to navigate you (if you had the tiles saved to your phone) when you have no data connection? It makes no sense for it to need a data connection when the data is already on the phone.

In reply to the other comments, yes it is an offline map for you to browse but its no good for navigation.

If im making a 2hr journey and have saved the relevant tiles before making my journey then it should use that data stored locally on my phone rather than using my data connection. I'm not getting mad, I'm just talking sense. The benefit is that you wouldnt use your data connection hence saving allowance and you would also save battery life.

Last edited:
saving allowance and you would also save battery life.

You're in a car, charge your phone. Having data on for 2 hours is irrelevant anyway when you're using GPS with the screen on the whole time.

If you already have the map tiles downloaded the amount of data used to calculate your route is pretty much negligable as well.

The only reason for offline navigation is signal issues.

battery isn't draining any quicker for me with the waves one running, with fairly high visual tweaks.

My battery has been dropping pretty quick since I installed Wave Live Wallpaper. Now, I also upgraded my ROM, so it could be ROM related, but GSam tells me Nova has been munching battery, which I assume is what it would say if it's the Live Wallpaper? (The LWP itself isn't listed at all)

My battery has been dropping pretty quick since I installed Wave Live Wallpaper. Now, I also upgraded my ROM, so it could be ROM related, but GSam tells me Nova has been munching battery, which I assume is what it would say if it's the Live Wallpaper? (The LWP itself isn't listed at all)

Might be your ROM. I am using both Nova and Wave but neither even show up in my battery list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom