Essential Android Apps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know how to use Tasker.

I used to use settings profile but that dosn't seem to be supported anymore.Jellybean

All i want to do is to turn off my sms notifications or use a silent tone so I dont hear any texts between 00:00-08:00. I've tried llama but they still get through.

I need to get emails through a particular email address and I need the phone to ring for calls so turning it onto silent wont do.

Setting profile i could just set it so at midnight it made the sms notification use a different tone (I downloaded a silent notification) simples

Any ideas

Any suggestions for a video streaming app?

Videos are stored on my PC and I'd like to watch them on my Note II. Plex is ok but no file explorer and DLNA doesn't cut it.

Last edited:
I have just found "wifi file transfer" on Google Play Store, no mucking about with settings, just run the programme and it gives you an http address to put in your pcs address bar and it comes up with a file transfer page to do what you want with files in-between the two

Anyone know how to use Tasker.

I used to use settings profile but that dosn't seem to be supported anymore.Jellybean

All i want to do is to turn off my sms notifications or use a silent tone so I dont hear any texts between 00:00-08:00. I've tried llama but they still get through.

I need to get emails through a particular email address and I need the phone to ring for calls so turning it onto silent wont do.

Setting profile i could just set it so at midnight it made the sms notification use a different tone (I downloaded a silent notification) simples

Any ideas
I have similar in llama.

2 Profiles - 1 noisy, 1 quiet. Notification and Ringtone are 0/7 in quiet.
In profile quiet > Noisy Contacts - Set volume to 5.7 (and set some ;) )

In events:
Noisy - Conditions: between 06:30 and 23:00 when its (weekday) - change profile to noisy
Quiet - Between 23:00 and 06:30 - change profile to Silent.

You can get llama to set the notification tone by the way if it helps.

Edit: Phil - you mean like Airdroid?

I use ES File Explorer to find files on my PC, then let it open in MX Player

So you run a server on your PC which encodes videos on-the-fly to your phone? Or is it actually trying to run the full file?

For instance, I made one experimental Blueray rip that's 22Gig... and Plex can handle that due to on-the-fly encoding.

What file sizes have you been able to play without issue?

Last edited:
So you run a server on your PC which encodes videos on-the-fly to your phone? Or is it actually trying to run the full file?

For instance, I made one experimental Blueray rip that's 22Gig... and Plex can handle that due to on-the-fly encoding.

What file sizes have you been able to play without issue?

ES Fileexplorer is just that, a file explorer. You can use it to browse files on your phone and also on network locations. If you select a video (or music etc) from a network location it opens up that file in an appropriate app (BS Video player in my case) which then streams the file over the network. No encoding involved.

In the case of a 22Gig file, I should imagine the limiting factor would be wifi speed. I have no problem on my Galaxy Note 1 with compressed HD files though (e.g. 10GB film).

ES Fileexplorer is just that, a file explorer. You can use it to browse files on your phone and also on network locations. If you select a video (or music etc) from a network location it opens up that file in an appropriate app (BS Video player in my case) which then streams the file over the network. No encoding involved.

In the case of a 22Gig file, I should imagine the limiting factor would be wifi speed. I have no problem on my Galaxy Note 1 with compressed HD files though (e.g. 10GB film).
I have not been able to get 1080p files to play properly over SMB by simply using file explorers on any of the devices I have tried from multiple PCs.

They play flawlessly over DNLA.

I've just got a nexus 10, and there's just one thing I'd like fixed with an app right now. When I'm out and about, I tether it to my phone so that I can browse the net, nothing out of the ordinary. But when I get home, I want it to automatically switch to my wireless router for faster net use and not needing to worry about my data limits. Is there an app out there that will give wifi networks different priorities so that it will stay connected to my phone until it notices that my home wifi is in range and automatically switches to that instead?

Thanks!

I think this is the best answer -

Ron, I think what Google is trying to do is remove these settings from the 'ROM' into a disassociated app. Much like how they pulled Google Calendar out of the ROM so that end-users and in this case Google doesn't have to depend on lazy-ass hardware manufacturers to provide updates. Google Settings will ultimately represent the current screenshot of permissions in settings going forward for ALL handset manufacturers especially since now Google+ is installed as part of the core Android OS going anyways.

This of it this way, if third-party apps are using Google+ SSO for user authentication, and Google needs to quickly fix a vulnerability or control a break, they can do so through the Play Store Services/ Google Settings module by updating it without any manufacturer intervention in the future.

I don't really know what the guys problem is. This is what Google are working towards and will make updates much quicker and easier, which is quite often what people moan about. I wonder if the same people moan about the solutions, such as this 'app'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom