Essential Android Apps

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just got a nexus 10, and there's just one thing I'd like fixed with an app right now. When I'm out and about, I tether it to my phone so that I can browse the net, nothing out of the ordinary. But when I get home, I want it to automatically switch to my wireless router for faster net use and not needing to worry about my data limits. Is there an app out there that will give wifi networks different priorities so that it will stay connected to my phone until it notices that my home wifi is in range and automatically switches to that instead?

Thanks!

Don't you turn tethering off at home? That would be all you need to do, and you probably should do too anyway.

Don't you turn tethering off at home? That would be all you need to do, and you probably should do too anyway.

Well, there's never been any real reason to. I get in, plug the phone in to charge, and that's it. Is there an issue with leaving tethering turned on that I don't know about?
And in that case, is there an android app that will disable tethering when the phone comes in range of my home wifi and disables it when it leaves the range? :D

Well, there's never been any real reason to. I get in, plug the phone in to charge, and that's it. Is there an issue with leaving tethering turned on that I don't know about?
And in that case, is there an android app that will disable tethering when the phone comes in range of my home wifi and disables it when it leaves the range? :D

use power toggles to switch each off as appropriate

Does anyone know how to use the "Top Contacts" widget you get on Xperia phones when using another launcher??

I've done a factory reset today and for some reason its not showing up as an available widget while I'm using Nova launcher!?!? I'm certain it was working before I did the reset!!!!

Any ideas???

Stick with the sense browser if you have ICS/sense version 4 on your phone, it is the best IMO.

If you don't then I recommend dolphin or quick ICS browser (better than ICS browser +)

i have just switched over to opera browser on android and home computers

i like the full screen browsing after turning the navigation bar off and it takes you directly to most full sites instead of mobile ones

I have not been able to get 1080p files to play properly over SMB by simply using file explorers on any of the devices I have tried from multiple PCs.

They play flawlessly over DNLA.

I felt obliged to double check I wasn't talking crap so I just ťried streaming a 9.8gig 1080p 130min film. It played smooth as you like and frankly, looked beautiful on my 720p SAMOLED screen :D

There are apps that can do things based on other things, so I'm pretty positive you could make your phone turn off tethering when it detects your home network, and enable it after. That would solve your issue.

Latest chrome beta (25) scores pretty well in browsermark:

917648698.png

Dolphin was pretty close with 2847 and AOSP scored 1605. AOSP ran the demos in the highest fps though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom