Essential Android Apps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you also Cleared the "Google Services Framework" to force an update at any time!?!

If you have, you need to delete your Google Account from your device and log into it again!... I had this problem following the recommendation on how to force my Nex4 to update to 4.2.2 slightly ahead of schedule!! After re-building the acount on the phone it worked no probs!! :)

Anyone know of an app that can be used to quickly upload (ideally through the Share menu) files - mainly photos - to a network location/NAS? I'm often taking photos with my phone that I then want to immediately access on my PC, at the moment my long way around is to upload them to Google Drive, but it's not instant by any means.

I do use an app on my Tab that syncs any given folder on it to one on my NAS, but I'd prefer something that uses the Share menu as it'd be more convenient.

Anyone know of an app that can be used to quickly upload (ideally through the Share menu) files - mainly photos - to a network location/NAS? I'm often taking photos with my phone that I then want to immediately access on my PC, at the moment my long way around is to upload them to Google Drive, but it's not instant by any means.

I do use an app on my Tab that syncs any given folder on it to one on my NAS, but I'd prefer something that uses the Share menu as it'd be more convenient.

Drop Box uploads your photos automatically when your on a wifi connection (i imagine that you would be as you want access to them on your PC which would mean your at home).

Install Drop Box on your PC and your photos will already be there.

The problem is that means uploading via the internet, which takes longer than it would if I could store them locally.

I'm on a 3Mbps connection so the upload/download times become an annoyance.

The problem is that means uploading via the internet, which takes longer than it would if I could store them locally.

I'm on a 3Mbps connection so the upload/download times become an annoyance.

I think dropbox supports lan sync, so it will use your home network in place of internet when it's available. (Not sure if this supports wifi).

But even if it doesn't, it should still be fast. As soon as your phone connects up to your home network, it will start uploading and downloading the photos. Given that you may walk in the house, get yourself a cuppa, turn on the pc, etc., it's very likely most of the syncing will be done by the time you need them.

I tried that on my nexus 10, and it kept force closing when launched, and couldn't complete a sync job. Don't know why.

The app I use for syncing between w2indows shares and android is SyncMe Wireless

But all the synching apps I've used aren't instant synching - they synch once a day, or upon certain triggers - like when plugged into a charger, or connecting to a wireless network. If you take photos after the trigger, you have to wait till the enxt trigger (which could be the next day) for it to sync, or run it manually.

Dropbox syncs after every photo taken.

Not sure on Sygic but I use it for ebooks etc. If you can change voices in Sygic then Im fairly sure it would work. Someone who uses it will/should be able to answer that one.

I think dropbox supports lan sync, so it will use your home network in place of internet when it's available. (Not sure if this supports wifi).

But even if it doesn't, it should still be fast. As soon as your phone connects up to your home network, it will start uploading and downloading the photos. Given that you may walk in the house, get yourself a cuppa, turn on the pc, etc., it's very likely most of the syncing will be done by the time you need them.

I'll give Dropbox a look in that case.

It won't be fast if it has to upload the the internet though, that's why I'm looking for something that can use my NAS. I'm taking photos on my phone and want to be able to access them from my PC immediately, rather than waiting a minute to upload, then download them again. BT have somehow managed to know 1Mbps off my sync speed over the weekend ("You're still within your promised speeds sir" so I'm now down to 2Mbps.

That's the one I use on my tablet. Works well but I was hoping there'd be an app that lets you just use the share menu otherwise it's going to be trying to sync an entire folder's worth of stuff each time.

Ah well, I'll keep looking.

GMusicFS is awesome.

It grabs all your metadata for your Google Music tracks, then adds them to a mounted virtual drive.

Then you can use Poweramp etc to play the tracks as normal, but you're actually streaming them :)

For the point-and-click adventure fans among us, may I recommend Yesterday

I've been playing it since yesterday and I think it's brilliant!

The version I've linked is ad-supported to make it free, There is an ad-free version as well but it's £4 and I don't find the ads THAT annoying anyway :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom