Essential Android Apps

Status
Not open for further replies.
A warning for anyone using the Facebook app. Yesterday's update apparently includes a new permission allowing it to download files without notification. More worryingly, there's no mention of this on the Play store. :mad:

Any decent podcast apps?

I have tried pretty much every podcast app on Android and iPhone and Pocket Casts is my app of choice.

Last time I checked, Pocket Casts didn't support subscription based podcasts. I like the GUI of Pocket Casts but Beyondpod is the app I use.

-edit- just to add, streaming podcasts often stalls Beyondpod, especially if it's a really long one and I try to seek quite far into it. I much prefer to download podcasts from Beyondpod wherever possible and play in an Podcast Player. Although the GUI is a bit ugly, it's simple and works very well:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...sMSwyLDEsImNvbS5qc2hpcHAucG9kY2FzdHBsYXllciJd

Last edited:
-edit- just to add, streaming podcasts often stalls Beyondpod, especially if it's a really long one and I try to seek quite far into it. I much prefer to download podcasts from Beyondpod wherever possible and play in an Podcast Player. Although the GUI is a bit ugly, it's simple and works very well:

I have to ask. If you download it in BeyondPod, so avoiding the streaming issue, why would you not play it in BeyondPod?

I have to ask. If you download it in BeyondPod, so avoiding the streaming issue, why would you not play it in BeyondPod?

Good question. I mostly listen to podcasts bleary eyed at night and Podcast Player's large simple buttons make it much easier to use. The GUI of Beyondpod when playing a podcast isn't that great and even on the tablet version, you need to press tiny buttons. If you have a look at Podcast Player, you'll see that you have to have pretty bad eyesight to miss the buttons!! Once you've used it a couple of times, you hardly have to look at the screen. I only wish there was a decent sizeable widget for Podcast Player.

Downside is that once I've downloaded a podcast from Beyondpod, the filename changes and doesn't include the date. Not sure why this happens.

-edit- just had a quick look at your review. Is there any way to have the current podcast in full screen on the tablet version like you see on the phone version of Beyondpod?

Last edited:
Hi, I would like to put videos on a Nexus 7.
I have ripped some DVD films on my PC hard drive.
So what format from DIVX to I have to convert the film to ?
I have loaded MX Media player for playing the finished format on the Nexus 7. To transfer the films I have the special USB to Micro USB cable to upload films from a USM stick.

I have loaded MX Media player for playing the finished format on the Nexus 7. To transfer the films I have the special USB to Micro USB cable to upload films from a USM stick.

MX Player can play most things so just give it a try.

Use ES File explorer to browse the usb stick, from there you can play the video. Personally I use BS Player, stick pretty much any file on your N7 and it'll play it - no converting required. MX probably will too

Personally I use BS Player, stick pretty much any file on your N7 and it'll play it - no converting required. MX probably will too

BS Player is what I use too. It's got a simple LAN mode that works well streaming media from the PC too and also the audio sync offset feature is really useful especially when streaming audio over bluetooth which created a bit of a delay.

So what would people recommend as potential Google Reader replacements? I keep seeing names like Pulse, Flipboard, News360 and a couple of others I can't recall offhand. Only use a few feeds so don't care if I can't sync/import from Reader, easy enough to set them up from scratch again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom