Poll: European Grand Prix 2017, Baku - Race 8/20

Rate the 2017 Azerbaijan Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Caporegime
What Hamilton did or didn't (data says didn't) its irrelevant.

He lost control with rage and it needs to be handled.

I'd say dsq from next race myself and points. Clear message needs sending out that this is unacceptable

Soldato
Losing control of yourself in an F1 car is inherently very unsafe not just for him but the other drivers, you can point to his history but what matters is the present and future.
And the present is that he got annoyed and banged wheels with Hamilton at slow speed and that he hasn't made such a move before. To say he lost it and had no control at all over the situation is a little narrow minded - if he was so annoyed that he lost all control he would have taken himself and Hamilton out of the race (and would certainly be disqualified).

Soldato
Button vs Wehrlein just a couple of races ago shows how dangerous a side shunt in these cars are even at slow speed. If Hamilton used his brakes with Vettel along side that could have been a big accident, especially if other drivers assumed like Vettel that coming out of that corner is an acceleration zone. Intentionally hitting another car like that is not on at all. Being one of the representatives of the GPDA he should be made an example of, that the FIA takes safety seriously.

Soldato
If the FIA were looking for an easy cop out they just have to have another look at the shunt at notice that he did indeed overtake under a safety car, albeit by a couple of inches, and hey presto give him an additional 5 second added time penalty which would put him behind Hamilton in the final standings for Baku.

Man of Honour
Interesting article. Good points on how Vettel totally dodged the issue and played it down. Whether he was told to do that, or on his own volition, it shows a lack of regard for safety and his actions. If he'd owned up, said he made a mistake, it'd probably have been a lot better for him.

Caporegime
Buxton seems to be one of the few who while he has friends and likes the drivers, is willing to risk losing said friend/driver as a source by calling them out on their ****. Other reporters are so scared that lets say Ferrari will cut them off from media stuff that they won't be too negative even in the worst situations and will not ask the hard questions.

Other media people are trying to play it well down now while during the race I'm fairly sure different viewpoints were being given. For me though the point stands that, if the second part never happened, Vettel would have been punished for hitting Hamilton from behind under a safety car anyway, for which he wasn't actually punished.

Man of Honour
Wow, can't believe they are going to review this. They should too. Absolutely disgraceful and a terrible example to set to any road user or racing driver. Shame they rushed the initial decision.

Caporegime
Other media people are trying to play it well down now while during the race I'm fairly sure different viewpoints were being given. For me though the point stands that, if the second part never happened, Vettel would have been punished for hitting Hamilton from behind under a safety car anyway, for which he wasn't actually punished.

Really he should have had 3 penalties on the day, penalty 1 for not paying attention or jumping the gun and shunting Hamilton, penalty 2 for hitting Hamilton from the side whether intentional or not, that's 2 separate instances of dangerous driving. Penalty 3 for overtaking under safety car which although marginal was fairly clear. Or better still it should have just been a black flag for being a monumental idiot and lesson to everyone that it's simply not acceptable. I think F1 of today though they're too conscious of not ruining the show.

Soldato
That is an absolutely great article by Buxton. I've not commented in here yet, but feel that similar to Buxton it is irrelevant Hamilton had an issue. More the fact vettel was lightly punished for a potentially massively dangerous manoeuvre. It sets a really bad precedent for lower series and for young drivers around the world.

In my opinion the right punishment is dq from Baku with keeping pen points as 9. The lack of remorse is also something that needs to be addressed even if that is the team telling him to do so. Which may have been in his head following the red flag, altho that did seem more likely he was completely oblivious to what he had done.

Man of Honour
He should have been black flagged, irrelevant of what led to his action. The fact it made news headlines is even worse for the FIA. It isn't the first time recently that Vettel has acted in anger. If he had paused and thought for a moment he would have realised that Hamilton had zero reason to 'brake check' him.

Soldato
I can see Vet having his points stripped from the last race. Lots of public back lash with the way he acted and his comments afterwards. To go without further punishment would be like an open door for others to act the same.

Man of Honour
I can see Vet having his points stripped from the last race. Lots of public back lash with the way he acted and his comments afterwards. To go without further punishment would be like an open door for others to act the same.
Public back lash shouldn't have any effect on the penalty, since we don't decide the penalties.

Back
Top Bottom