EV Car tax question.

Soldato
OP
that is strange as it does look like luxury car tax however you are right that *isn't* backdated. I guess they are updating the backend or something as it isn't finalised yet.

Soldato
OP
I’m not sure about far less polluting in this case…
locally I would say so. for instance lock yourself in your garage with no ventilation in your ipace turned on for a few hrs (oh the dream of having a garage big enough to put a modern car in but your catch my drift).

other than being bored at the end of it not much would happen.

now do the same thing again with let's say my old pug 308 eco diesel with £35 a year tax.

(ok I did say current zero tax cars so I am moving the goal posts a bit.... but even then I would not like to risk it with ANY ICE car.

Last edited:
Associate
I agree but think there are simpler, more fair ways. The general principle of tax is you hit those who can afford it - so by that basic premise, just have a luxury tax that follows bands (40-60k is £400 / 60k-80k is £600, so on....)
The issue with large and heavy cars is they ruin roads, take up loads of space and make it more dangerous for literally everyone else. A size and weight tax which benefits those who choose smaller vehicles benefits everyone.

Pretty soon the way things are going we will all be driving tanks to protect ourselves from massive cars and we will end up more and more like the US..

Associate
The issue with large and heavy cars is they ruin roads, take up loads of space and make it more dangerous for literally everyone else. A size and weight tax which benefits those who choose smaller vehicles benefits everyone.

Pretty soon the way things are going we will all be driving tanks to protect ourselves from massive cars and we will end up more and more like the US..
True, I saw a photo of someone stood next to an American pickup and they were only just a head taller than the bonnet.

Soldato
OP
I was on about my 24 yr old 283k honda insight. What happens if I sit in the exhaust chamber of the CGT powering 60% of energy of my IPACE?
true , which is why I meant local emissions. I agree we need way more clean renewable generation.... but that is even more OT for this thread than this is ;)

Soldato
true , which is why I meant local emissions. I agree we need way more clean renewable generation.... but that is even more OT for this thread than this is ;)
It's all relevant though if you want VED to be emissions based. The total CO2 output to power an OG Ioniq for 10000 miles vs a Q8 is going to be significantly different. So going back to your question of what is 'fair' why should the Ioniq driver pay the same as the Q8 driver?

If you believe the SMMT we'll have double the EVs sold into the UK in 2 years time and these will be mostly capable of covering significant mileage, not the G-Wiz, OG Leaf and Peugeot IONs that were the options a decade ago.

Soldato
VED could frontload the relative manufacturing emissions during the first 5 years, alongside luxury car tax, for ICE/bev respectively.

(e: yes - think about those chinese cars, although eu/uk? carbon border tax will level the playing field.)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
If I bought a 2nd hand EV for £10,000 would that be considered luxury?
at the moment for tax no as they are not retrospectively adding the lux car tax to EVs. going forward the 2nd hand price does not matter, it's all about the RRP price when it was new.

so for instance a June 2025 Audi fat etron will still have luxury car tax even if you bought it for 18k at 4 years old because when it was new it was over the £40k.

few would argue the Audi etron is not a luxury car. the challenge is when it comes to cars like the ID3 , which specced for long range takes it over the limit (I think). is an ID3 a luxury car?

Last edited:
Associate
at the moment for tax no as they are not retrospectively adding the lux car tax to EVs. going forward the 2nd hand price does not matter, it's all about the RRP price when it was new.

so for instance a June 2025 Audi fat etron will still have luxury car tax even if you bought it for 18k at 4 years old because when it was new it was over the £40k.

few would argue the Audi etron is not a luxury car. the challenge is when it comes to cars like the ID3 , which specced for long range takes it over the limit (I think). is an ID3 a luxury car?
This is the problem with the system as it hasn't taken into account of prices going up.

Associate
You say "this is the problem with the system", the government say (under their breath) "this is the point of the system" :p
It's just a system that has been cobbled together over and over with no rhyme or reason, so to be honest no one knows what it's for now.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the heads-up, just done mine. Meanwhile my loophole dirty diesel will only be going from £0 to £20 :rolleyes:
fingers crossed come renewal it isnt clever enough to give everyone bespoke tax charges depending on when April comes around..... the way i see it we have given ourselves the best chance of keeping cheap car tax as long as possible.

as for your diesel. make the most of it, its insane, and totally unfair, but it is why we were planning on keeping our pug 308 diesel for as long as possible - until some berk hit an ambulance head on and then pinballed into our car as well writing everything off.

Note i am not championing anyone should get rid of a perfectly functioning diesel until they are due to replace their car anyway........... just that it is wrong to treat those cars with kid gloves whilst retrospectively hammering 2nd hand EVs much harder... but i already said that so :D

Soldato
fingers crossed come renewal it isnt clever enough to give everyone bespoke tax charges depending on when April comes around..... the way i see it we have given ourselves the best chance of keeping cheap car tax as long as possible.

as for your diesel. make the most of it, its insane, and totally unfair, but it is why we were planning on keeping our pug 308 diesel for as long as possible - until some berk hit an ambulance head on and then pinballed into our car as well writing everything off.

Note i am not championing anyone should get rid of a perfectly functioning diesel until they are due to replace their car anyway........... just that it is wrong to treat those cars with kid gloves whilst retrospectively hammering 2nd hand EVs much harder... but i already said that so :D
Just remember that it is all a spit in the ocean compared to depreciation ;)

Back
Top Bottom