Poll: Exit Poll: UK General Election 2017 - Results discussion and OcUK Exit Poll - Closing 8th July

Exit poll: Who did you vote for?

• Conservatives

Votes: 302 27.5%
  • Labour

Votes: 577 52.6%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 104 9.5%
  • Green

Votes: 13 1.2%
  • UKIP

Votes: 19 1.7%
  • Scottish National Party

Votes: 30 2.7%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 6 0.5%
  • Other

Votes: 46 4.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Just to give some history, in 2005 Michael Howard won an extra 33 seats than his party won in 2001, that's three more than Corbyn won this time - even assuming he wins Kensington. Howard resigned with dignity shortly afterwards.

Caporegime
Just to give some history, in 2005 Michael Howard won an extra 33 seats than his party won in 2001, that's three more than Corbyn won this time - even assuming he wins Kensington. Howard resigned with dignity shortly afterwards.

Yeah you keep tooting that horn.

Associate

Yes, but Labour with the result of that election had a 66 seat majority.
Forcing a hung parliament is a very different outcome, and also the vindication of Corbyn when some claimed he would be an electoral disaster for Labour.

Permabanned
Even if I voted tory I would be extremely annoyed. What a waste of time money and stability. For all the talk of getting a good deal for Britain... They never seem to put Britain before their own party. I would have more respect for them if they didn't call an election. How can anyone vote for a party that puts its country second?

Soldato
Yes, but Labour with the result of that election had a 66 seat majority.
Forcing a hung parliament is a very different outcome, and also the vindication of Corbyn when some claimed he would be an electoral disaster for Labour.

imagine his entire party united behind him, and Diane Abbott locked in a cupboard for the duration of the campaign :p

Man of Honour
Didn't the Greeks have a problem with their young inexperienced rulers - hence their fall?

Pretty much the par for anything with inexperience - the young tend to think things stand on their own merit and don't see the value of the things propping them up/made it possible in the first place. (Until they learn the hard way).

Soldato
Labour got every vote they possibly could with the big youth turnout. Free tuition fees I suspect was the one that drew them in. Unless that vote is sustained it could just as easily fall heavily too. By the next election these people will be 5 years older and will have different priorities.

Once things settle I would not be surprised to see a leadership challenge in labour too. It was a missed opportunity for labour.

Much of the labour proposals weren't deliverable and much of the conservative ones were too brutal to core voters. If the conservatives go for a happy middle where it is realistic and not punishing then we could see a significant number return to them. They need policies that directly tackle the labour ones. They took the electorate for granted and it caught them out.

Soldato
So happy that Corbyn will never ever have the chance to be prime minister. A truly frightening prospect.

It's even sweeter to have wiped out Angus Robertson and Alex Salmond.

...and that stops indyref2 for quite a few decades.

Not a bad day after all.

Soldato
Strong and stable boys, we got our climate change deniers the DUP in one corner and Theresa May in the other.

I'm feeling it.

didn't Arlene Foster run some corrupt racket to do with green energy in NI and got rumbled ? If that's true what the hell is May thinking, not only going to bed with Terrorists, but corrupt ones at that............... lol

Soldato
Labour got every vote they possibly could with the big youth turnout. Free tuition fees I suspect was the one that drew them in. Unless that vote is sustained it could just as easily fall heavily too. By the next election these people will be 5 years older and will have different priorities.

Once things settle I would not be surprised to see a leadership challenge in labour too. It was a missed opportunity for labour.

Much of the labour proposals weren't deliverable and much of the conservative ones were too brutal to core voters. If the conservatives go for a happy middle where it is realistic and not punishing then we could see a significant number return to them. They need policies that directly tackle the labour ones. They took the electorate for granted and it caught them out.

Yes, today's first time voters will be 5 years older next time and their views and priorities may change. But there are always new first timer voters at every election, the key is reaching out to them.

How was this a missed opportunity for Labour? Everyone had them down on the canvas, out for the count, 20 points behind in the polls. facing total obliteration etc. Would anyone have predicted this result a month ago? If it wasn't for some bizarre results in Scotland and fair few Tories hanging onto their seats by very narrow margins (just hundreds of votes in many cases), things could have ended up even more different.

The Labour Party needs to unite behind Corbyn now and I suspect it will. I'll hold my hands up and admit I wasn't his greatest fan before the election campaign, but I think he ran a great campaign, a good mix of old school getting out there on the stump and harnessing social media.. Now if he'd only campaigned with similar passion for Remain ......

Soldato
So happy that Corbyn will never ever have the chance to be prime minister. A truly frightening prospect.

I suspect he will be around at the next general election, which Tory he'll be facing will be interesting as I suspect a revolving door is likely to be appropriate for that position.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom