Poll: Exit Poll: UK General Election 2017 - Results discussion and OcUK Exit Poll - Closing 8th July

Exit poll: Who did you vote for?

• Conservatives

Votes: 302 27.5%
  • Labour

Votes: 577 52.6%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 104 9.5%
  • Green

Votes: 13 1.2%
  • UKIP

Votes: 19 1.7%
  • Scottish National Party

Votes: 30 2.7%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 6 0.5%
  • Other

Votes: 46 4.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
An Election this year would see the full weight of the labour party swing behind Corbyn, something he did not get from this election because they were expecting him to lose badly, and too many did not what to come across as being associated with him...

The youth vote may come out in force as they see that the ones who did come out and vote did make a difference.

Soldato
How would Farage have faired as our brexit negotiator? He was clearly very clued up on the subject but every time I witnessed him in Brussels he was getting laughed at, seemed to brush it off easily though and could counter very well.

No he is a total liability. They laugh at him because they don't take him seriously. I would not want him in the negotiating room. I think he would harm our negotiations.

He's been even less clear than May tbh.. and he got away with it because May pulled a load of other silly stuff out of a hat and diverted press attention away form Brexit. Corbyn has also made pledges re: immigration that would remove the possibility of single market access - you don't really have an alternative in that respect between Labour and the Conservatives.

I think Labour would make it more clear if they were either in government or there were another GE. Personally, I do think the end of free movement of people thing was just a way to capture UKIP votes. I actually do however believe they would probably aim for single market access. I think he has been deliberately vague on it all for a reason.

Man of Honour
What? Were you watching a different GE?

I have to wonder - where was the Tory campaign? compared to a traditional campaign they were almost nowhere to be seen - many of the top Tories wouldn't even talk to the BBC, etc. May ran a mile instead of debating with Corbyn leaving him almost free reign at times. In the light of a more traditional campaign things would have been quite different.

Caporegime
I have to wonder - where was the Tory campaign? compared to a traditional campaign they were almost nowhere to be seen - many of the top Tories wouldn't even talk to the BBC, etc. May ran a mile instead of debating with Corbyn leaving him almost free reign at times. In the light of a more traditional campaign things would have been quite different.

They just assumed they would win.

The tories blinded by their own arrogance.

Man of Honour
They just assumed they would win.

The tories blinded by their own arrogance.

You are missing the point of what I'm saying. - its easier to look good if you are not incompetent and unopposed - its much tougher to stand out when running against a similarly skilled or better opponent (for illustrative purposes not saying this is a 1:1 metaphor of the election).

The contrast and perception of Corbyn would have been much different if they'd been up against even say Cameron's campaign trail in the last 2 elections.

Soldato
Labour have won the next election by default. The Tories siding with the DUP means come general election time the negative press on DUP policies, agendas and history will sink them.

Every conservative I know especially those approaching or reached retirement are seriously angry about that right now.

Caporegime
You are missing the point of what I'm saying. - its easier to look good if you are not incompetent and unopposed - its much tougher to stand out when running against a similarly skilled or better opponent (for illustrative purposes not saying this is a 1:1 metaphor of the election).

The contrast and perception of Corbyn would have been much different if they'd been up against even say Cameron's campaign trail in the last 2 elections.

That's what I'm saying...they put no effort in due to assuming they would just win.

This arrogance only helped Corbyn.

Man of Honour
300000 signatures already against the Con/DUP deal...
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-petition-deal-northern-ireland-a7783021.html

edit nearly 500000 now...

There isn't a plan B for the Conservatives. They need another party's votes:

SNP? Not even worth asking. Not going to happen.

LibDem? Already said no and meant it. They know it's a poisoned chalice - look what happened the last time, just a few years ago.

Enough other MPs? Impossible to do, impossible to work with if it could be done.

So it has to be DUP even though it's blatantly the wrong thing to do in several ways. It's hypocritical given that the DUP has a much clearer and closer connection to terrorism than the much-criticised Corbyn. It's hugely unpopular and will become more so as more people in Britain learn what the DUP is like (even ignoring the terrorism thing, they make Donald Trump look like a rational liberal with their views on the environment, homosexuality, etc). It's politically wrong - the UK government is supposed to act as an independent mediator for power sharing between unionists and nationalists in NI, not openly support one side and bring it into power in the whole of the UK. That is a bad idea. NI needs the stability of power sharing. People there might not like the de facto choice of voting for one group of ex-terrorists or another group of ex-terrorists, but as long as they're balanced out there's enough stability to carry on peacefully enough.

The only questions are whether or not May (the pseudo-Presidental cult of personality "strong" candidate who now claims to have been weak enough to be completely controlled by 2 of her aides) is willing to do wrong to keep power (yes, of course she is - why would she change now?) and whether or not the Conservative party think she's enough of a liability to depose her.

Soldato
May out.
Farage in.
Election.
Farage v Corbyn .
Result = ?

So sayeth Arazistrodamus.

I am just putting that one out there, expect anything in the next week, just an opinion, which Tory MP wants to put their name forward for leadership in this **** storm, likes of Johnson and co imo wont risk it, therefore an outsider.

I hope so, i have got a few quid on Farage being next leader of the Tory party or next PM haha, odss between 100\1 and 200\1 :)

Come on.

With odds like that it'd be daft not to! :D

Soldato
Could put this in the Random Image thread but I reckon people here will get more of a laugh out of it:

duptorylogo.png

Soldato

That may be true, but Corbyn has now established himself a more credible figure and support, with a very different public opinion and image to boot. He is in a much more favourable position now than before, and if the Conservative were to now lead a 'proper' campaign, I actually think it would be far more difficult for them to do that now than before. After all, a lot of credibility in the media has been broken after the attempted smears on Corbyn. I am not sure now, how many of the public will take to believing another Tory campaign.

Permabanned
Labour have won the next election by default. The Tories siding with the DUP means come general election time the negative press on DUP policies, agendas and history will sink them.

Every conservative I know especially those approaching or reached retirement are seriously angry about that right now.

The media against the tories next election? I'll believe it when I see it.

Caporegime
I think Labour would make it more clear if they were either in government or there were another GE. Personally, I do think the end of free movement of people thing was just a way to capture UKIP votes. I actually do however believe they would probably aim for single market access. I think he has been deliberately vague on it all for a reason.

He's not been vague on immigration though and you can't have single market access without freedom of movement ergo they can't have it... to argue otherwise is simply delusional.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom