Poll: Exit Poll: UK General Election 2017 - Results discussion and OcUK Exit Poll - Closing 8th July

Exit poll: Who did you vote for?

• Conservatives

Votes: 302 27.5%
  • Labour

Votes: 577 52.6%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 104 9.5%
  • Green

Votes: 13 1.2%
  • UKIP

Votes: 19 1.7%
  • Scottish National Party

Votes: 30 2.7%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 6 0.5%
  • Other

Votes: 46 4.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I consider him one of the greatest prime ministers of all time:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pol...ajor-the-credit-we-so-cruelly-denied-him.html

First, let’s take economic management. Because of the Black Wednesday fiasco of September 1992, when sterling was evicted from the exchange rate mechanism, this is regarded as a disaster. But the big picture tells a different story. Under Major’s two chancellors, Norman Lamont and Ken Clarke, Britain navigated her way very surely out of the deep recession of the early 1990s.

By 1997 employment was rising, growth stable, and the deficit was well under control, meaning that Gordon Brown as chancellor inherited the most benign economic scenario for any British government of the last century. The situation was so fundamentally strong that it took three successive Labour administrations to wreck it.

Major’s second great achievement concerns Northern Ireland. Tony Blair has taken all the credit for negotiating a peaceful solution to the Troubles. Much of it is deserved. But neither Blair nor anyone else has ever properly acknowledged the role played by Major in bringing the IRA to the peace table. Given that he was dependent on Unionist votes for his parliamentary majority, this was an act of sacrifice as well as political courage.

Before my time but whenever I've heard Major speak I always thought he was thoroughly decent and the sort of Conservative the country would respond well to. I don't think he ever planned to be PM and did it because he thought it was the best thing for the party after Thatcher.

If I recall correctly, he was from a very modest background and so a classic "hard work reaps rewards" kind of person.

He was brilliant. I wouldn't mind seeing that type of Conservative leadership again. The tory party as of late has become very nasty and toxic - something I don't think John Major would have stood for or allowed.

Soldato
Corbyn provides it by losing a GE that was there for the taking? But really?
CHrist, some of you need to wake up and smell the coffee. Labour ran a fantastical giveaway campaign against a Tory party that ran the worst campaign in living memory. Labour successfully mobilised the youth and outdid the Tories at every turn (except that horrid piece of work Abbott that must have cost them some votes) and they STILL LOST THE ELECTION!
Instead of bitching about the Tory party, maybe look closer to home at Labour's obvious failings eh? How low your expectations must have been to see this as a victory...
Labour LOST by 56 seats.

I didn't vote labour and I'm not a Corbyn supporter, but I think your analysis misses the point. The conservatives did worse this time than they did in 2015, when they scraped a thin majority against lackluster Labour & Lib Dems. That's despite being the guardians/pimps of a populist brexit, and more importantly the complete demise of UKIP. A UKIP who were all nailed on to vote Tory. On paper it should have been almost impossible to do any worse than 2015.

But they still managed it.

Where do they go from here? It can only be a move to the centre, and that means a major rethink on core policy... which must include Brexit. But it appears they're doing anything but this with the DUP, and any attempt to move to the centre will rip the party apart.

They're also about to embark on a very public, painful and humiliating period of minority government, in which party splits will be writ large, and there will be soap opera levels of scheming and back stabbing within the leadership.

Labour on the other hand...

Only 4 weeks ago Corbyn was written off as an unelectable clown, with zero appeal outside the hardcore corbynistas. They're not laughing any more.

He can't be dismissed or ridiculed. He has electoral credibility. The infighting within the Labour party will stop.

He has the perfect platform to exploit the weakness of the opposition, and people now believe he can win.

The tories only have a few month to turn it round. They're ******...

Last edited:
Associate
It would be hilarious to see a dozen or more Tory MP's cross the floor to sit with Labour and vote down the Queens Speech. The scary thing is, it could happen and if it does, the one leg that Theresa May is standing on at the moment won't just be teetering on falling over, it'll be swept from under her completely. She'll HAVE to resign.

This is just about as deluded as thinking that Labour MP's were going to cross the floor to sit with Cameron because Corbyn was a leader none of the PLP liked. Utter hyperbole crap.

Mobster
Soldato
I didn't vote labour and I'm not a Corby supporter, but I think your analysis misses the point. The conservatives did worse this time than they did in 2015, wenn they scraped a thin majority against lackluster Labour & Lib Dems. That's despite being the guardians/pimps of a populist brexit, and more importantly the complete demise of UKIP. A UKIP who were all nailed on to vote Tory. On paper it should have been almost impossible to do any worse than 2015.

Where do they go from here? It can only be a move to the centre, and that means a major rethink on core policy... which must include Brexit. But it appears they're doing anything but this with the DUP, and any attempt to move to the centre will rip the party apart.

They're also about to embark on a very public, painful and humiliating period of minority government, in which party splits will be writ large, and there will be soap opera levels of scheming and back stabbing within the leadership.

Only 4 weeks ago Corbyn was written off as an unelectable clown, with zero appeal outside the hardcore corbynistas. They're not laughing any more.

He can't be dismissed or ridiculed. He has electoral credibility. The infighting within the Labour party will stop.

He has the perfect platform to exploit the weakness of the opposition, and people now believe he can win.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

The other thing of course is the youth vote which surely will increase now they have somebody who actually gets them. What can the Tories offer them?

Caporegime
They simply said other groups have different view points. Have you been there? They do clearly state the area is millions of years old.

nope not been there - how on earth could you defend that nonsense as simply saying other groups have different viewpoints... it isn't a viewpoint - there is fact and there is absolute nonsense, the fact the national trust is entertaining the absolute nonsense and putting it forward as a 'different viewpoint' to satisfy these DUP religious idiots is barmy

Caporegime
The same people that are far left but see centre people as extreme right?

That's the "left" equivalent yes. Both are bad as each other, and one of the reasons this use of "left" and "right" by so many as a way of trying to slight people is so stupid.

And that is pathetic. Anti war protests? How was that in any weay comparable to people complaining when they lost an election. FFS, if that's the best you can come up with it says it all really. Pathetic.

So now we're talking specifically about a few hundred people protesting about the election results? And there was me thinking we were discussing the EU referendum and being "sore losers"?

I see you missed the other example, which is odd as the poster prior to you that posted 10 minutes earlier than you quoted it. You know, the protestors protesting against a fox hunting ban... ;)

Face it, people protest and complain. It doesn't matter what side of the political spectrum they are on. All you're doing here is trying to smear the "opposite" side to you to make yourself feel superior and reinforce your (incorrect) beliefs.

Man of Honour
Caporegime
This is just about as deluded as thinking that Labour MP's were going to cross the floor to sit with Cameron because Corbyn was a leader none of the PLP liked. Utter hyperbole crap.
Really? There are quite a few Tory MP's who are very, very unhappy with her desperation to cling to power by shacking up with the terrorist sympathisers the DUP. If they can't convince someone to stand against her and introduce a no confidence motion, this could be the next best thing and she'd be forced to resign.

Man of Honour
Now which ones the fire and which one is the frying pan.

Neither is any better/worse than the other - both have long term outcomes that would not be positive for the country just in different ways.

People might laugh at the guy ranting on the radio but he is dead on the money on most points unfortunately few will see or accept it until many years down the road in hindsight I suspect.

Caporegime
I didn't vote labour and I'm not a Corbyn supporter, but I think your analysis misses the point. The conservatives did worse this time than they did in 2015, when they scraped a thin majority against lackluster Labour & Lib Dems. That's despite being the guardians/pimps of a populist brexit, and more importantly the complete demise of UKIP. A UKIP who were all nailed on to vote Tory. On paper it should have been almost impossible to do any worse than 2015.

While I agree that Corbyn has done fairly well, against all the odds (newspaper coverage included), I do wonder if people are not considering how strong the tactical voting in this election may have been. Votes for independents and the smaller parties were by and large wiped out in a lot of places. How much of that is people getting behind Labour as the only viable option to stop the Conservatives staying in power? Whether that was because of their Brexit view, Mays authoritarian streak or something else I don't know, but this section in general had a very different "spread" to others.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Would you care to point out which part of the post from me that you quoted is rubbish?

Interesting...you say I'm talking rubbish and then in "support" of that you post a link saying the same thing I said.

@stewski doesn't appear to really know what he's talking about here, I suspect he's only going to waste time in followup posts on this matter, he's asked for basic information he could have googled himself then when presented with it he simply claims it is 'rubbish' with no further argument. It is all rather odd.

Soldato
I consider him one of the greatest prime ministers of all time:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pol...ajor-the-credit-we-so-cruelly-denied-him.html

First, let’s take economic management. Because of the Black Wednesday fiasco of September 1992, when sterling was evicted from the exchange rate mechanism, this is regarded as a disaster. But the big picture tells a different story. Under Major’s two chancellors, Norman Lamont and Ken Clarke, Britain navigated her way very surely out of the deep recession of the early 1990s.

By 1997 employment was rising, growth stable, and the deficit was well under control, meaning that Gordon Brown as chancellor inherited the most benign economic scenario for any British government of the last century. The situation was so fundamentally strong that it took three successive Labour administrations to wreck it.

Major’s second great achievement concerns Northern Ireland. Tony Blair has taken all the credit for negotiating a peaceful solution to the Troubles. Much of it is deserved. But neither Blair nor anyone else has ever properly acknowledged the role played by Major in bringing the IRA to the peace table. Given that he was dependent on Unionist votes for his parliamentary majority, this was an act of sacrifice as well as political courage.

It's funny you say that.

Was just thinking last night, back to the times where everything felt fair and that opportunity was all over the place.

Where you could literally walk from one job to another, promotions and payrises existed with regular pay raises.

Even people on the dole wanted a piece of it all.

Turns out it was actually during and just after John Major's reign.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom