Poll: Exit Poll: UK General Election 2017 - Results discussion and OcUK Exit Poll - Closing 8th July

Exit poll: Who did you vote for?

• Conservatives

Votes: 302 27.5%
  • Labour

Votes: 577 52.6%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 104 9.5%
  • Green

Votes: 13 1.2%
  • UKIP

Votes: 19 1.7%
  • Scottish National Party

Votes: 30 2.7%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 6 0.5%
  • Other

Votes: 46 4.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
If people wanted a soft Brexit then why didn't Labour get a majority what with all of the free stuff he was offering? you can't even reach 326 seats with all of the remainer parties put together. If the DUP respect the 2016 independence referendum then May has only really lost 2 seats.

They wont though, not May's ultra-hard dover shaped Brexit anyway.

They will NEVER allow the borders to be threatened, so cliff edge is out of the question now, so its bad deal or "bad" deal.

She is so incredibly weak right now, that all it would take is the DUP saying no, 5 Rebels or 5 Scottish Tories disagreeing. May after all her rhetoric will deliver on what she implied Labour would, how comforting.

Soldato
care to specify here in this 20 year old hour long video you happen to be whinging about?
The internal differences of opinion within the Labour party, the mandate to lead, the manifesto being put to labour party members... It sounds eerily like the same situation that Corbyn went through.

And no that wasn't whinging. Care to explain how it was perceived as such?

Caporegime
The internal differences of opinion within the Labour party, the mandate to lead, the manifesto being put to labour party members... It sounds eerily like the same situation that Corbyn went through.

And no that wasn't whinging. Care to explain how it was perceived as such?

Where have we heard this before? Hmm...

is a classically whinging line.

Soldato
is a classically whinging line.
I am not whining, but okay. If that is what you take from that. I was trying to point out that there were some similarities. And I did specify 8.59 in the post with the video sInce you can't be bothered to read either in answer to your initial question about specific time in the hour long video.

Caporegime
I am not whining, but okay. If that is what you take from that. I was trying to point out that there were some similarities. And I did specify 8.59 in the post with the video sInce you can't be bothered to read either in answer to your initial question about specific time in the hour long video.

you said from which is 40 god damn minutes of pointless ****.

from 20 ******* YEARS AGO!!!

Caporegime
20 years and political discourse has only devolved or stayed the same.

Perhaps people should wise up, but going off (perhaps biased, i dont know), the video on the BBC regarding Derby and what a bunch of randoms think of the result... wising up is too difficult for the average person.

Permabanned
Given how bad things are with May, and the possible worse alternatives such as Boris as PM, I decided to look back at some videos from what I personally consider the last known stable Ieadership of the conservative party, that I have seen in the years of my life time. And for me, this is none other than John Major during the 1990s. I was old enough during the 90s to remember some stability during those years. Granted, there weren't some of the situations we are faced with now, so it is hard to measure how well John Major would have dealt with the problems we face today, but I don't think he would have gave into the pressures of holding an eu referendum necessarily - people older than me may recall things I don't about his leadership and may disagree though. That said, looking back at that period, and looking back at some old videos on youtube as a reminder of his leadership, I actually think he was quite underrated, and yes I think he was actually better than Cameron in some ways.
I consider him one of the greatest prime ministers of all time:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pol...ajor-the-credit-we-so-cruelly-denied-him.html

First, let’s take economic management. Because of the Black Wednesday fiasco of September 1992, when sterling was evicted from the exchange rate mechanism, this is regarded as a disaster. But the big picture tells a different story. Under Major’s two chancellors, Norman Lamont and Ken Clarke, Britain navigated her way very surely out of the deep recession of the early 1990s.

By 1997 employment was rising, growth stable, and the deficit was well under control, meaning that Gordon Brown as chancellor inherited the most benign economic scenario for any British government of the last century. The situation was so fundamentally strong that it took three successive Labour administrations to wreck it.

Major’s second great achievement concerns Northern Ireland. Tony Blair has taken all the credit for negotiating a peaceful solution to the Troubles. Much of it is deserved. But neither Blair nor anyone else has ever properly acknowledged the role played by Major in bringing the IRA to the peace table. Given that he was dependent on Unionist votes for his parliamentary majority, this was an act of sacrifice as well as political courage.

Caporegime
It would be hilarious to see a dozen or more Tory MP's cross the floor to sit with Labour and vote down the Queens Speech. The scary thing is, it could happen and if it does, the one leg that Theresa May is standing on at the moment won't just be teetering on falling over, it'll be swept from under her completely. She'll HAVE to resign.

Mobster
Soldato
I consider him one of the greatest prime ministers of all time:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pol...ajor-the-credit-we-so-cruelly-denied-him.html

First, let’s take economic management. Because of the Black Wednesday fiasco of September 1992, when sterling was evicted from the exchange rate mechanism, this is regarded as a disaster. But the big picture tells a different story. Under Major’s two chancellors, Norman Lamont and Ken Clarke, Britain navigated her way very surely out of the deep recession of the early 1990s.

By 1997 employment was rising, growth stable, and the deficit was well under control, meaning that Gordon Brown as chancellor inherited the most benign economic scenario for any British government of the last century. The situation was so fundamentally strong that it took three successive Labour administrations to wreck it.

Major’s second great achievement concerns Northern Ireland. Tony Blair has taken all the credit for negotiating a peaceful solution to the Troubles. Much of it is deserved. But neither Blair nor anyone else has ever properly acknowledged the role played by Major in bringing the IRA to the peace table. Given that he was dependent on Unionist votes for his parliamentary majority, this was an act of sacrifice as well as political courage.

Before my time but whenever I've heard Major speak I always thought he was thoroughly decent and the sort of Conservative the country would respond well to. I don't think he ever planned to be PM and did it because he thought it was the best thing for the party after Thatcher.

If I recall correctly, he was from a very modest background and so a classic "hard work reaps rewards" kind of person.

Mobster
Soldato
It would be hilarious to see a dozen or more Tory MP's cross the floor to sit with Labour and vote down the Queens Speech. The scary thing is, it could happen and if it does, the one leg that Theresa May is standing on at the moment won't just be teetering on falling over, it'll be swept from under her completely. She'll HAVE to resign.

I've been thinking about this and although it would be a way to get rid of May, it will surely get the Tories thrown out too. Unless they plan to let Jeremy try and put his policies into action and then hope he falls on his sword? Could backfire for him or for them though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom