Poll: Exit Poll: UK General Election 2017 - Results discussion and OcUK Exit Poll - Closing 8th July

Exit poll: Who did you vote for?

• Conservatives

Votes: 302 27.5%
  • Labour

Votes: 577 52.6%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 104 9.5%
  • Green

Votes: 13 1.2%
  • UKIP

Votes: 19 1.7%
  • Scottish National Party

Votes: 30 2.7%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 6 0.5%
  • Other

Votes: 46 4.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
Just wanted to add another alternative pov to people complaining about the young.

You say they don't get politics... That their votes were bought and that they have no experience in life so that's why they voted labour.

Well votes have been bought to the elderly for years. That's why they have triple lock pensions. And then you get the elderly voters that don't get the internet so their only news source is the sun daily mail and sky news. They also don't get the internet so happy for it to be regulated when they have no understanding of how the internet works.

So stop blaming the young.... The elderly dont understand modern politics either.

I'd agree with that to a point, if we are talking in generalisations. As I said, UK politics involves promising people other people's money.

Caporegime
Is that the case for Norway?

I make that "record high" 29,326 from the EU in 2012

I make that 48.27 Billion Euro Trade Surplus, how someone frames these 2 things as negative to Norway and/or not controlled migration is not comprehensible.

Proportional to trade, migration from anywhere outside the EU to Norway is far higher than from EU countries, how is this either a bad deal or uncontrolled?

What on earth are you waffling about now? What does the trade surplus or the numbers of people migrating to Norway have to do with anything previously posted?

The point being made was simply that if you want access to the single market then that includes freedom of movement. You asked if this applied to Norway and were told that yes it does. You then replied that that was 'total rubbish'. It isn't total rubbish - the single market includes freedom of movement. Now you've replied with some irrelevant stats, and questioned whether full single market access is a good or bad thing for Norway. You've gone off on a tangent, whether Norway has or hasn't got lots of immigration from the rest of the EU isn't relevant - the posts you originally quoted when asking your question simply pointed out that both main UK political parties want to control immigration and have therefore ruled out full single market access.

At this point no one can state what is impossible for the UK, I can say throwing mud around and talking up disastrous outcomes like WTO deals are less likely to have an acceptable outcome for the UK.

Yes we can, the EU have already made this quite clear, you can't have full single market access and control immigration. They stated this before the Brexit vote and frankly you ought to have already been aware of this before voting in that referendum.

Caporegime
So stop blaming the young.... The elderly dont understand modern politics either.

I think to understand politics it's something you need to study just like anything else. Everyone can offer their opinion of course but I know myself that I understand very little as a whole and I'm definitely not alone on that, most of the nation takes what is said at face value to form their views especially if it's taken from the media, whether it's newspapers or social media.

Permabanned
So you admit that the young don't understand politics too? :p

I dont. I was just making a point. If people are complaining that the young shouldn't be allowed to vote then neither should the elderly. They get their news from papers and sky news which is heavily biased. They don't understand new technology. From question time the other day it sounds like half of them want to drop a nuclear bomb on a country.

So if you want to ban the young from voting because they don't understand... Lets ban the elderly too..... Ironically if that happened we would have a labour government

Soldato
They understand politics probably more than most people realise. I think it is an awful stereotype for anyone here to claim the young don't understand politics, similarly the same for the elderly as well. Can't believe there are people even saying this to be honest.

Totally, because none of us were ever young students with a vote either....

Same goes for all the pensioners voting leave when half of them will be dead by the time the real outcome will come to light. Like they were doing us all a favour?

This was a Brexit backlash.

Man of Honour
They understand politics probably more than most people realise. I think it is an awful stereotype for anyone here to claim the young don't understand politics, similarly the same for the elderly as well. Can't believe there are people even saying this to be honest.

The problem is people in general, across demographics, are dumb and irrational as a collective. Generalisations are often accurate but there are always exceptions. The one surety is that people who are members of the collectives always think the generalisation doesn't apply to them.

My position wasn't that people didn't understand politics, but they failed to understand the economic implications, which is a different argument. It applies across the demographics but to different things. For the young, it's tuition fees, for the middle, it is often immigration, and for the elderly, social care is the key blind spot. Brexit is a mess across the generations.

Soldato
May offered nothing but more pain, hardly a vote winner. And now, she's alienating even more people by trying to get into bed with the DUP!
Fallon had a very uncomfortable time on the Marr show today, the Cons better get used to all the awkward questions if they carry on down this route. I absolutely cannot wait for parliament to reconvene, the Queens speech, and pmq's. She is going to get slaughtered.

Soldato
I dont. I was just making a point. If people are complaining that the young shouldn't be allowed to vote then neither should the elderly. They get their news from papers and sky news which is heavily biased. They don't understand new technology. From question time the other day it sounds like half of them want to drop a nuclear bomb on a country.

So if you want to ban the young from voting because they don't understand... Lets ban the elderly too..... Ironically if that happened we would have a labour government

the issue there is where do you draw the line as to how young is too young and how old is too old?

we have imposed that those below 18 aren't deemed mature enough to vote, but who's too senile? is it 60, 70, 80 or 90?

Soldato
The problem is people in general, across demographics, are dumb and irrational as a collective. Generalisations are often accurate but there are always exceptions. The one surety is that people who are members of the collectives always think the generalisation doesn't apply to them.

My position wasn't that people didn't understand politics, but they failed to understand the economic implications, which is a different argument. It applies across the demographics but to different things. For the young, it's tuition fees, for the middle, it is often immigration, and for the elderly, social care is the key blind spot. Brexit is a mess across the generations.

So your position or 'generalisation' is the young collectively voted and did not understand the economic implications of what they were voting for?

Permabanned
the issue there is where do you draw the line as to how young is too young and how old is too old?

we have imposed that those below 18 aren't deemed mature enough to vote, but who's too senile? is it 60, 70, 80 or 90?

I dont think we should ban people at all. I was just playing devils advocate. Young too dumb to understand.... Well then the old are too senile. They should cancel each other out but we have a bigger elderly population.

Soldato
I dont think we should ban people at all. I was just playing devils advocate. Young too dumb to understand.... Well then the old are too senile. They should cancel each other out but we have a bigger elderly population.

i'm not disagreeing with the point, just the implementation.

i suppose you could link the right to vote for example with having some form of full time employment that generates tax revenue, of course that would likely end up with both students and retirees getting shafted as well as those on benefits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom