Poll: Exit Poll: UK General Election 2017 - Results discussion and OcUK Exit Poll - Closing 8th July

Exit poll: Who did you vote for?

• Conservatives

Votes: 302 27.5%
  • Labour

Votes: 577 52.6%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 104 9.5%
  • Green

Votes: 13 1.2%
  • UKIP

Votes: 19 1.7%
  • Scottish National Party

Votes: 30 2.7%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 6 0.5%
  • Other

Votes: 46 4.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Labour lost by a long way. Celebrating this loss is like celebrating a 3-0 defeat when you were expected to get beaten 6-0. The PLP and Blairites won't ever get on board with going back to the 1970s and the centrist vote won't either.

Good - I hope Labour are finally done with Progress and the Blairites - good riddance!

Soldato
Corbyn was asked by Andrew Marr on the BBC this morning if the UK could “stay inside the Single Market and customs union” as part of a Brexit deal.
The Labour leader replied: “The Single Market is a requirement of EU membership and since we won’t be EU members there will have to be an arrangement made.”
He added: “Where I frame it is we want a tariff-free access to the European market.”

Shadow Chancellor John McDonnell was even clearer during an interview on ITV’s Peston on Sunday less than an hour later, confirming Labour would not seek for the UK to remain in the Single Market.

RP: Now, we’ve got the Brexit talks also scheduled to start Monday week. There are analyses of the current makeup of the Commons which would suggest that a majority of MPs would now be in favour of, in a personal sense, of Britain remaining in the European single market. Could Labour itself, given your manifesto, support continued membership of the single market.

JM: I can’t see it being on the table in the negotiation but…

RP: But if it got back on the table…

JM: I don’t think it’s feasible but we’ve been clear all the way along. Ours is a ‘jobs first Brexit’, everything we can do to protect our economy. That must mean tariff-free access to the single market, that’s going to be our…

RP: So you would, just to be clear on this because I think this is very important to people, you would support the prime minister, if Theresa May remains prime minister during these talks, you would support her in her determination to get us out of the European single market.

JM: Let’s be clear: we are respecting the decision of the referendum. We are democrats…

RP: Yes, but the decision was about leaving the EU, it wasn’t about leaving the single market.

JM: I think people will interpret membership of the single market as not respecting that referendum. However, what we’re saying very, very clearly; we had the contrast in this general election. Here we had the Conservative Party going for a ‘race to the bottom Brexit’ and undermining our economy. We always said it would be a ‘jobs first Brexit’…

RP: No, I understand that but it is clear… I think that you are absolutely saying that Labour remains wedded to the idea of leaving the single market.

JM: It’s access. Access to the single market on a tariff-free basis.

Which part of the transcript leads you to believe they'll be pushing to keep the UK in the Single Market?[/MEDIA][/I]
No you said they'd leave the single market due to nationalisation plans, I see no support of that.

Additionally I support face saving all round by saying we have been dropped by the EU from the single market whilst retaining tariff free trade.

Should the EU go for such a deal, I'll argue Corbyn and McDonnell have played a blinder in terms of subtle negotiation, because mud slinging and no deal better than a bad deal isms are going no where.

Man of Honour
LOL complete and utter rubbish, Ruth told May to ************ and not come anywhere near scotland during the campaign.

They are autonomous when it comes to devolved areas but when it comes to matters concerning England or the UK they are under the control of the larger party - though as a discrete block in their own right they have a certain amount of power to defy the party whip.

Soldato
Labour lost by a long way. Celebrating this loss is like celebrating a 3-0 defeat when you were expected to get beaten 6-0. The PLP and Blairites won't ever get on board with going back to the 1970s and the centrist vote won't either.

Lost by a long way my ass, the first past the post syatem is what is screwed, tiny swings to labour MPs in a few seats and Labour would be in, that's why the tories do not want another election because corbyn will get it.

Conservative

Votes 13,667,213 Vote Share 42.4

Labour

Votes 12,874,985 Vote Share 40.0

Man of Honour
Lost by a long way my ass, the first past the post syatem is what is screwed, tiny swings to labour MPs in a few seats and Labour would be in, that's why the tories do not want another election because corbyn will get it.

Conservative

Labour

End of the day we have that system as poor as it is and under that system they lost by a long way - in any other election it would have been seen as a moderate to crushing defeat with the leader almost certainly going.

Personally don't agree with the system at all but that is another matter.

EDIT: Personally I don't think our political system is relevant at all to modern day Britain - the main two parties are far too polar with the bulk of the population almost equally split between them so whoever is in power will not reflect very well the overall country or the best way forward for the population as a whole.

Permabanned

Conservative

Labour

If you count the left wing parties votes to the right wing..... Left wing got way more votes too...

It was really terrible for May. The FPTP system just hides it a bit better. If corbyn had about 3000 more votes he could have formed a government.

Associate
No you said they'd leave the single market due to nationalisation plans, I see no support of that.

Additionally I support face saving all round by saying we have been dropped by the EU from the single market whilst retaining tariff free trade.

Should the EU go for such a deal, I'll argue Corbyn and McDonnell have played a blinder in terms of subtle negotiation, because mud slinging and no deal better than a bad deal isms are going no where.

Oh I see, sorry I thought you were talking about something else.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politic...at-no-one-will-tell-you-we-cant-while-were-eu There could be some 'complications', according to the link. Certainly, it seems easier to achieve out of the EU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom