Poll: Exit Poll: UK General Election 2017 - Results discussion and OcUK Exit Poll - Closing 8th July

Exit poll: Who did you vote for?

• Conservatives

Votes: 302 27.5%
  • Labour

Votes: 577 52.6%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 104 9.5%
  • Green

Votes: 13 1.2%
  • UKIP

Votes: 19 1.7%
  • Scottish National Party

Votes: 30 2.7%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 6 0.5%
  • Other

Votes: 46 4.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I don't see the benefits of a soft brexit. Is it not the worst of both worlds? We pay to be part of the single market, and we have FOM and all of the red tape that is associated with being a part of the customs union still. Weren't the only downsides?

The only difference between soft brexit and remain is that we no longer have a seat at the EU table, no? We might pay a tiny bit less, but surely the saving isn't worth the loss of influence?

I was a remain voter, but now brexit is happening, then IMO it needs to be hard. Rip the plaster off, no halfway house will do.

Man of Honour
I don't see the benefits of a soft brexit. Is it not the worst of both worlds? We pay to be part of the single market, and we have FOM and all of the red tape that is associated with being a part of the customs union still. Weren't the only downsides?

The only difference between soft brexit and remain is that we no longer have a seat at the EU table, no? We might pay a tiny bit less, but surely the saving isn't worth the loss of influence?

I was a remain voter, but now brexit is happening, then IMO it needs to be hard. Rip the plaster off, no halfway house will do.

No, the harder the brexit the worst it is, it doesn't suddenly get better, the ideal would be to stay, Soft brexit would stop the economy imploding but is worse than staying a full member, hard brexit is economic suicide, its very much no deal is many times worse than bad deal.

Soldato
Man of Honour
Do we actually have a government at the moment?
Theresa May's seemingly acting like nothing happened and Corbyn's acting like he's days away from being PM.
well not days away, he's basically saying hes going to win the GE when its called. Which the current polls agree with him, Tories have taken a hammering, again due to palpatine May. The longer tory allow May to continue the more I expect them to get hammered. ATM if they saw sense they could easily turn it around and win a majority at a GE, but they are just in denial.

and well we have a government, just not one which can really do anything without cross party agreements.

Man of Honour
Surely that's not confirmed until next Monday?

What happens if it all goes **** up at the Queen's speech?
has a government ever failed a queens speech? its a formality no one else can numerically challenge them and if they are willing to go as a minority then that's that.

last happened in the 70s and lasted a couple of months before dying.

Man of Honour
has a government ever failed a queens speech? its a formality no one else can numerically challenge them and if they are willing to go as a minority then that's that.

Rarely been a reason to test what happens if it "fails" mind.

Last edited:
Associate
Lost by a long way my ass, the first past the post syatem is what is screwed, tiny swings to labour MPs in a few seats and Labour would be in, that's why the tories do not want another election because corbyn will get it.

Conservative

Votes 13,667,213 Vote Share 42.4

Labour

Votes 12,874,985 Vote Share 40.0

He didn't even win the popular vote, is what you are saying? His seat return is in line with Gordon Brown and that is despite some other parties helping Labour out by not running in some seats and tactical voting being pushed as a method for keeping the Tories (who ran the worst campaign in living memory) out. This is a defeat for Labour, their third one in a general election. Corbyn just isn't going to appeal to the voters he needs to win a general election.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

No, but there have been plenty of instances where the proposer has had to accept amendments by rebels and the opposition to get it through.

It could be very humiliating for May (she's prob used to it now though).

Associate
He didn't even win the popular vote, is what you are saying? His seat return is in line with Gordon Brown and that is despite some other parties helping Labour out by not running in some seats and tactical voting being pushed as a method for keeping the Tories (who ran the worst campaign in living memory) out. This is a defeat for Labour, their third one in a general election. Corbyn just isn't going to appeal to the voters he needs to win a general election.

It's weird to me. Labour supporters acting like they've won the World Cup - Gordon Brown levels of support, vs the weakest manifesto the Conservatives have launched in decades with the most unappealing leader in recent times. It could be argued they missed an open goal by not gaining a majority - either way you can be sure the next leader and manifesto from the Cons will appeal to more people.

Either way, GE likely within 2 years so I guess we will find out soon enough.

Caporegime
Yes, but except in very rare circumstances, it would be unusual for under 16's to have the ability to earn enough to pay tax on earnings.
Well, yes, but that's not what you said. The ability to pay tax is based on having income, not on age. It would be more accurate to just refer to people being old enough to work for a living.

Anyway, this is academic as I agree with your overall point - voting age should be 16.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom