Poll: Exit Poll: UK General Election 2017 - Results discussion and OcUK Exit Poll - Closing 8th July

Exit poll: Who did you vote for?

• Conservatives

Votes: 302 27.5%
  • Labour

Votes: 577 52.6%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 104 9.5%
  • Green

Votes: 13 1.2%
  • UKIP

Votes: 19 1.7%
  • Scottish National Party

Votes: 30 2.7%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 6 0.5%
  • Other

Votes: 46 4.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
The incredible irony of this is that, currently, councils are borrowing enormous sums of money and investing it into commercial property, hoping for a greater rental yield than than rate of interest on the loan. This is a business that most councils know nothing about too...

Not surprising though, we've geared the entire British economy to speculative practices rather than accumulative ones... oh how sad it will be when the speculation dries up.

Caporegime
Not surprising though, we've geared the entire British economy to speculative practices rather than accumulative ones... oh how sad it will be when the speculation dries up.

when is that going to happen? people have been speculating since before Biblical times

Caporegime
Well during the glorious inflationary years people weren't dumb as **** spending 110%+ of their earnings.

re: speculation - here is Jesus kicking money changers out of the temple

1zs9PH6.jpg

re: people blowing all their cash - ever heard of the story of the prodigal son?

Mn3wNyt.jpg

speculation has happened for thousands of years, people blowing all their cash or ruining themselves has happened for thousands of years... this is nothing new

the idea of 'speculation' drying up is incredible fanciful - speculation predates capitalism and will likely still be around even if capitalism disappears or is replaced

Caporegime
re: speculation - here is Jesus kicking money changers out of the temple

1zs9PH6.jpg

re: people blowing all their cash - ever heard of the story of the prodigal son?

Mn3wNyt.jpg

speculation has happened for thousands of years, people blowing all their cash or ruining themselves has happened for thousands of years... this is nothing new

the idea of 'speculation' drying up is incredible fanciful - speculation predates capitalism and will likely still be around even if capitalism disappears or is replaced

Odd way to acknowledge history by using biblical sources, but ok.

The problem with speculation now is that the government should not be doing it at all, let alone the fact that too many people speculating means the economy is on some pretty thin legs, so the people who save money are shafted into submission.

Caporegime

not particularly - I'm not claiming that Jesus existed or that those specific events/stories happened but rather that the things you mentioned were able to occur back then, these weren't alien concepts to people back in the day either - i.e. speculation and people getting into debt or blowing everything

The problem with speculation now is that the government should not be doing it at all, let alone the fact that too many people speculating means the economy is on some pretty thin legs, so the people who save money are shafted into submission.

I didn't claim the government should be speculating - though criticism say local authorities over their treasury management is a bit different to claiming that speculation will end/dry up

Soldato

The Bible was written over a period but arguably most of it is approx 2000 years old. Unless you think the parable quoted were fanciful of concepts unheard of at the time then I would suggest it is good evidence that usury and fecklessness existed a long time ago.

Soldato
not particularly - I'm not claiming that Jesus existed or that those specific events/stories happened but rather that the things you mentioned were able to occur back then, these weren't alien concepts to people back in the day either - i.e. speculation and people getting into debt or blowing everything

I didn't claim the government should be speculating - though criticism say local authorities over their treasury management is a bit different to claiming that speculation will end/dry up

Shall we critise national government at all for selling council housing until there is virtually none whilst simultaneously giving none of the profit back to councils for new house building and in fact attempting to replace local councils entirely with not able to survive off the government teat fake "private" housing associations?

Caporegime
Shall we critise national government at all for selling council housing until there is virtually none whilst simultaneously giving none of the profit back to councils for new house building and in fact attempting to replace local councils entirely with not able to survive off the government teat fake "private" housing associations?

if you like, I'm not sure what relevance that has to my post re: speculation in a wider context

Soldato
if you like, I'm not sure what relevance that has to my post re: speculation in a wider context

I'm just suggesting, on this thread I would like that issue acknowledged, a little bit ahead of some biblical imagery of speculators, as it is somewhat more relevant to the current UK housing market and the distinction between our two main parties approaches to solving those issues?

Caporegime
I'm just suggesting, on this thread I would like that issue acknowledged, a little bit ahead of some biblical imagery of speculators, as it is somewhat more relevant to the current UK housing market and the distinction between our two main parties approaches to solving those issues?

I'm sure there are lots of things that can be acknowledged on this thread, it is rather general after all - you're free to post your thoughts, you don't need to quote a post that has little relevance to what you want to say.

Soldato
I'm sure there are lots of things that can be acknowledged on this thread, it is rather general after all - you're free to post your thoughts, you don't need to quote a post that has little relevance to what you want to say.

You establishing speculation is "as old as the hills" in a discussion on home building in the UK, when clearly the application of a speculative approach at the housing market has been misapplied, disastrous and offered at the cost of state sponsored building (as were the pyramids if we need to get into pointless establishment of ideology through ancient history) pretty much demands a response, if you don't see how it relates to your biblical posts, that's no biggie, you can move along.

Caporegime
You establishing speculation is "as old as the hills" in a discussion on home building in the UK, when clearly the application of a speculative approach at the housing market has been misapplied, disastrous and offered at the cost of state sponsored building (as were the pyramids if we need to get into pointless establishment of ideology through ancient history) pretty much demands a response, if you don't see how it relates to your biblical posts, that's no biggie, you can move along.

Cool, I was just commenting on the idea of speculating drying up in a general sense... if you want to post about housing or whatever then go ahead. My post was a more general one, hope you understand :)

Soldato
Cool, I was just commenting on the idea of speculating drying up in a general sense... if you want to post about housing or whatever then go ahead. My post was a more general one, hope you understand :)

TBH I can't remember if you have previously suggested that sale of social/council housing without realistic replenishment, was the largest error of the Thatcher era?

If you did, I may even agree. Despite the pointless back and forth on getting an answer to a question, I'm not totally opposed to taxation/regulation changes to help the issue of under occupied housing, however we often jump to only simplistic tax/charges as a solution and I cant always agree it is the best or even a fair solution.

I can park where/when I like, I have pots of cash.
Congestion charge is no problem, I'm a footballer.
I'll have a second home where I please, I'm a billionaire.

We have many rules and laws where we do not simply fine people for all unacceptable behaviour and with good reason, an increasing gap between rich and poor allows a handful to do virtually as they please, at the expense of the majority, if we do not regulate such things fairly unrest occurs!

Soldato
No, but it does mean some of his policies or actions are those that white supremacists support (the muslim travel ban for example).

Do you think the words "radical authoritarian nationalist" are an unfair description of his administrations actions?

Caporegime
TBH I can't remember if you have previously suggested that sale of social/council housing without realistic replenishment, was the largest error of the Thatcher era?

I'm not sure it was necessarily the biggest (maybe one of) but I do disagree with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom