F1 2017

Caporegime
Yeh exactly what happened to the smaa + taa setting? That worked best for me in the last one.
Why can't u select hrd either when iv got the screen for it? Works in hitman and others.

Yes I used that in the old one and it was good. The AA is truly awful in this - REALLY blurry.

Also, a few graphics settings are puzzling me. Is HBAO or ASSAO better?

Also what iare TRST shadows?

Man of Honour
OP
Problem with Logitech pedals is they have very little resistance on the brake. My G27 has an uprated spring (Nixim mod) so it's easier to find the sweet spot of pressure.

I'll be firing this up when I get home, anyone explored setups for the logitech wheels yet?

I took out the brake spring that came with the pedals. Way too much resistance.

Associate
Yes I used that in the old one and it was good. The AA is truly awful in this - REALLY blurry.

Also, a few graphics settings are puzzling me. Is HBAO or ASSAO better?

Also what iare TRST shadows?

Yeh somehow it looks far worse than the year before so far. And ffb is just as bad.
Sound of cars exact same too, no throaty pops like real ones.

Initial impressions arnt good but I know the career will be cracking when into it.

Caporegime
Yeh somehow it looks far worse than the year before so far. And ffb is just as bad.
Sound of cars exact same too, no throaty pops like real ones.

Initial impressions arnt good but I know the career will be cracking when into it.

I just fired up 2016 to compare and the graphics in 2017 are better. The colours are better and the lighting is a lot stronger.

The AA is bad though so I really hope they can update it with a better AA implementation.

I guess consoles are just holding everything back too much now. Everything on full at 1440p and my 1080ti is barely breaking a sweat. That is a shame because I bet it could look incredible if allowed to harness the full power of todays top gpus.

Anyway, gameplay wise I am very happy. The traction physics seem much better. 2016 whilst good was still very unforgiving and unpredictable in terms of traction (and lack of it). This feels much better and you can detect the odd squirm from the rear now and then and correct it quite nicely with small twitches on the wheel.

I like that there is a proper difficulty slider from 0-110 now. I have set it to 95, with all assists off and started career mode. I might be a little off the pace from the timings, although I was able to complete the regular qualy pace programme. Although that is a bit worrying as I was half a second of Alonso (teammate) in practice 1 and his time was on the SS and I was on US so whilst I completed the qualy prog, I was still half a second down on my teammate on slower tyres. I therefore hope all the timings aren't out of whack like some of the previous titles...

Caporegime
I just fired up 2016 to compare and the graphics in 2017 are better. The colours are better and the lighting is a lot stronger.

The AA is bad though so I really hope they can update it with a better AA implementation.

I guess consoles are just holding everything back too much now. Everything on full at 1440p and my 1080ti is barely breaking a sweat. That is a shame because I bet it could look incredible if allowed to harness the full power of todays top gpus.

Anyway, gameplay wise I am very happy. The traction physics seem much better. 2016 whilst good was still very unforgiving and unpredictable in terms of traction (and lack of it). This feels much better and you can detect the odd squirm from the rear now and then and correct it quite nicely with small twitches on the wheel.

I like that there is a proper difficulty slider from 0-110 now. I have set it to 95, with all assists off and started career mode. I might be a little off the pace from the timings, although I was able to complete the regular qualy pace programme. Although that is a bit worrying as I was half a second of Alonso (teammate) in practice 1 and his time was on the SS and I was on US so whilst I completed the qualy prog, I was still half a second down on my teammate on slower tyres. I therefore hope all the timings aren't out of whack like some of the previous titles...

Further to this, it appears there is a big with the practice times and as someone pointed out on this thread I think in practice the ai are setting times with full track evolution.

http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/46803/a-i-in-practice-is-way-too-fast

In Aus I couldn't get anywhere near anyone yet was doing ok with the practice programmes. Then in Qualy I was within a few tenths of Alonso (teammate) which is where I want to be.

Associate
Just finished Aus, loving the feel of the cars, Ai qually pace is still much faster than race pace which is really annoying.

Seems really good so far just hope they sort out the aa.

Soldato
I can not get on at ALL with the brake pedal on the G920......I'm putting so much force into braking but not getting anywhere near stopped in time for corners etc.

Horrendous. I know it's early days with a wheel but can't seem to find any decent settings/setup for the brakes........all over the show.

Caporegime
I can not get on at ALL with the brake pedal on the G920......I'm putting so much force into braking but not getting anywhere near stopped in time for corners etc.

Horrendous. I know it's early days with a wheel but can't seem to find any decent settings/setup for the brakes........all over the show.

Tried calibrating to half travel and lying to the PC and saying it's full travel then the old 'rolled up sock behind the pedal' trick?

Caporegime

Hm, sounds weird. I am using a Logitech wheel, but a driving force GT and the braking is fine.

Associate

Go to calibration in the settings and bump up the " brake saturation" look at the brake pedal slider and adjust the saturation till the brake slider reaches 100% with the right amount of pressure that suits you

Last edited:
Permabanned
Physics are an improvement for sure, still simcade but a step in right direction,

Overall it's the best one they've released, it's just a shame that as everything else improves the graphics seem to get worse every year... jaggies everywhere and overall it's just really messy to look at. Wonder if running Nvidia DSR might improve things ?

Netcode is improved but still poor

Associate
How on earth do you do the fuel management program in practice? Every time I put my foot on the accelerator it plummets into the red!

Finished Australia last night in 7th but I think I spent more time restarting my sessions in practice to complete the objectives than actually racing!

Also, any tips on engine wear? I blew my engine up in the 3rd lap of the 2nd race, so that was fun.

Soldato
Go to calibration in the settings and bump up the " brake saturation" look at the brake pedal slider and adjust the saturation till the brake slider reaches 100% with the right amount of pressure that suits you

cheers - that's helped a fair bit - had to fire it up to 90% saturation which is a bit mental but much better feel about it. Need to investigate the removal of the plastic thing in the pedal that a lot of people speak about.

Man of Honour
OP
cheers - that's helped a fair bit - had to fire it up to 90% saturation which is a bit mental but much better feel about it. Need to investigate the removal of the plastic thing in the pedal that a lot of people speak about.

Really easy to do and essential. More time consuming than technical. The pedal was perfect once I did this.

Caporegime
How on earth do you do the fuel management program in practice? Every time I put my foot on the accelerator it plummets into the red!

Finished Australia last night in 7th but I think I spent more time restarting my sessions in practice to complete the objectives than actually racing!

Also, any tips on engine wear? I blew my engine up in the 3rd lap of the 2nd race, so that was fun.

Takes some practice but mainly you need to lift before big braking zones and brake later. I managed it after a few tries and it actually came in really handy in the first race as i was running rich for a bit too long and needed to lift and coast for the last few laps to conserve fuel!

Commissario
G920/G29 down to £159 this weekend at Currys/PC world - I'm going in tomorrow to claim £40 back from them as they will price match within 7 days.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/lo...e-20-off-pc-gaming-accessories-currys-2773823
How does that work? I bought the wheel/shifter combo on the 21st for £199, can I just go back in and claim the difference?

/edit - I just used the online chat thing and they told me they don't price match with themselves but if I go in store and ask, the manager might be prepared to do something. I'm heading off now.

Last edited:
Soldato
How does that work? I bought the wheel/shifter combo on the 21st for £199, can I just go back in and claim the difference?

Yeah - Customer services told me it's 7 days from purchase. If you bought in store - just go in with your receipt, if you bought online, I think you call them.

Need to go in before Monday as the deal is only for the bank holiday weekend.

Back
Top Bottom