• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Fallout 4 CPU benchmark thread(need some Zen3 and Zen4 results!)

I remember these Techspot charts lol. I dunno where they tested, but I remember people screaming RAM DOESN'T MATTER! And even in Overclock.net in overclocking thread for RPL, I've had people say or tell me, 'why are you OCing? CPU perf doesn't even matter for games'.

I think reducing shadow draw distance to medium values fDirShadowDistance=3000 rather than 20000, iDirShadowSplits=2 rather than 3 helps a lot for slower cpus. There's also the Shadow Boost mod on Nexus which can dynamically lower shadow draw distance, though I don't think it touches idireshadowsplits. Corvega was an early meme in terms of performance, but Faneuil Hall's perf is driven in large part by shadow detail/distance.

7800x3d is going to be so interesting for FO4. I might wait for Arrow Lake or Zen 5 3d, and then the improvements ought to be massive again. When I saw 55-83% increase in perf in games, the numbers looked like fan fiction BS. But with bench results from so many people for Oblivion and FO4 all showing larger than life gains, I had to believe the gains are far larger than reviews show. 7800x3d's not going to be massively behind RPL in general single thread perf, so it doesn't have my issue with 5800x3d either. Will perf live up to expectations or did zen4 already took some of those gains with the front end changes? Will they price it well? We'll find out!

unknown.png

unknown.png

edit:
Btw I think the color coding for my new CPU is wrong. :p

I have the issue is that I like making big settlements,so it really hammers performance. I once built a massive skyscraper at Abernathy Farm with dozens of NPCs. Performance was rather interesting! :cry:

But Sim Settlements 2 does seem to add more CPU load because there is so much more scripting going on with it added.

@KompuKare Still no Zen4 results! :(

Last edited:
I have the issue is that I like making big settlements,so it really hammers performance. I once built a massive skyscraper at Abernathy Farm with dozens of NPCs. Performance was rather interesting! :cry:

But Sim Settlements 2 does seem to add more CPU load because there is so much more scripting going on with it added.

I have 2 large settlement save files for benchmarking, but I might have a new version ready before I upgrade out of RPL, whenever that is. I have to think about how big/dense I want it to be. I wonder if building in that "triangle of death" around Abernathy Farm/Sanctuary/Red Rocket will bring down frame rates further. :D

We can go CRAZY in terms of settlements, but just how crazy should we go for benching? As crazy as is realistic, or even further, just in case?

Last edited:
I have 2 large settlement save files for benchmarking, but I might have a new version ready before I upgrade out of RPL, whenever that is. I have to think about how big/dense I want it to be. I wonder if building in that "triangle of death" around Abernathy Farm/Sanctuary/Red Rocket will bring down frame rates further. :D

We can go CRAZY in terms of settlements, but just how crazy should we go for benching? As crazy as is realistic, or even further, just in case?

It's bad enough building in two of those locations at the same time! Three would be definitely be a cinematic experience!

Well, what can we do? Go back to the Zen4 owners thread and beg!?

TBF,I am surprised we got so many Ryzen 7 5800X3D results!

I can do some Zen4 results ;)

But i also see that i already have done some runs with my older 5950x system over at a other forum that isn't included on the leaderboard yet..
5950x @ ~5050mhz together with tight CL13 timings pushed to the edge of stability

Diamond City = 113.6 fps @ 8027 drawcalls
Corvega = 83.9 fps @ 11738 drawcalls

(all settings shown in last screenshot below)

I can do some Zen4 results ;)

But i also see that i already have done some runs with my older 5950x system over at a other forum that isn't included on the leaderboard yet..
5950x @ ~5050mhz together with tight CL13 timings pushed to the edge of stability

Diamond City = 113.6 fps @ 8027 drawcalls
Corvega = 83.9 fps @ 11738 drawcalls

(all settings shown in last screenshot below)
That would be great. Will be interesting what you score as your Oblivion score was very impressive!

Ah, I must have missed that one. Only though of the Thread post column afterwards and without it gets hard to keep track of everything!
pHvsVIl.png

This seems to be the best i can do.. Need v-cache for 1st place :)

7950x with one CCD disabled (8 cores only)
6400MT/s tight manually tuned timings
2133mhz FCLK, UCLK1:1MCLK

S1 FPS = 147.1FPS
S2 FPS = 108.8 FPS
Average = 127.95FPS

= +29.5% faster than my max tuned 5950x :)

Last edited:
This seems to be the best i can do.. Need v-cache for 1st place :)

7950x with one CCD disabled (8 cores only)
6400MT/s tight manually tuned timings
2133mhz FCLK, UCLK1:1MCLK

S1 FPS = 147.1FPS
S2 FPS = 108.8 FPS
Average = 127.95FPS

= +29.5% faster than my max tuned 5950x :)

Well, "only" #8. Unsure why I'd keeping track of the ratio of S1 vs S2, but S1 is the weakness of your setup.
z4yv7Oz.png

Still, since S2 has more NPC whereas S1 is probably more raw draw distance, I think good S2 scores are more important especially for @CAT-THE-FIFTH's monster AI settlement gameplay.

Strange that your setup was by far the fastest in Oblivion, but FO4 is different. You never know, maybe it is ideal for SSE?

Strange that your setup was by far the fastest in Oblivion, but FO4 is different. You never know, maybe it is ideal for SSE?
Seems like Oblivion is so old that it will already run inside L3 cache on Zen3/4.
5800x3d which see pretty much no benefit over regular 5800x indicate this to be the case..

In Fallout4 there is a large difference between regular and v-cache version of Zen3 = game is bandwidth/latency bottlenecked around the 100mb datasize.

Below screenshot a comparison between my 5800x3d and 7950x in the MicrobenchmarkGui memory benchmark
(why cant we upload any pictures on this forum?)

Last edited:
Seems like Oblivion is so old that it will already run inside L3 cache on Zen3/4.
5800x3d which see pretty much no benefit over regular 5800x indicate this to be the case..

In Fallout4 there is a large difference between regular and v-cache version of Zen3 = game is bandwidth/latency bottlenecked around the 100mb size.

Below screenshot a comparison between my 5800x3d and 7950x in the MicrobenchmarkGui memory benchmark
Untitled.png

Ratio: 0.8185404339250493 (0.82 rounded up)
Avg 138.3

5874Mhz HT OFF
32-33-32-32 2N Tight Subs
Windows 11 22H2 ( HAGS OFF )
Thanks, that moves you two places up!
L7RP3w4.png
The top 5-7 are all pretty close now. Your latest is actually the fastest by a bit for S1 which should be the drawcall heavier (or AI lighter) save.

In Fallout4 there is a large difference between regular and v-cache version of Zen3 = game is bandwidth/latency bottlenecked around the 100mb datasize.

I see here your CPU is at 5.996ghz. I have you down for 5.82ghz for Oblivion. Did you run different OC or is my info wrong?

I got as far as this page after buying and installing the game - http://enbdev.com/mod_fallout4_v0311.htm

Selecting 'download' just takes me to this page - http://enbdev.com/
Yes, unsure why that dev does that. I guess they don't want file leaching but it's not like their landing page has many adverts.

However, all is not lost. Go to
and then to download (linking to download directly does not work) and then pick Fallout 4 (there's only one FO4 unlike Skyrim which has Normal, SE, and VR to confuse people!).

Yes, unsure why that dev does that. I guess they don't want file leaching but it's not like their landing page has many adverts.

However, all is not lost. Go to
and then to download (linking to download directly does not work) and then pick Fallout 4 (there's only one FO4 unlike Skyrim which has Normal, SE, and VR to confuse people!).
Thanks.

Might be worth updating the first post with http://enbdev.com/enbseries_fallout4_v0478.zip

In the Nvidia drivers,you can search for Fallout4 and make sure instead of VSync being on it is turned off

Where in Nvidia drivers do you search? I just have the driver installed (526.86) and nothing else, no profiler or anything

Linking to the actual download for ENB won't work as they detect that and just serve you a "leachers!" page.

Don't recall where it was in the Nvidia drivers (think it's pretty easy to find the AMD ones), but I think you need at least their control panel to set it.

Back
Top Bottom