• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Fidelity Super Resolution 2.0

Caporegime
So neither solution is as good as native for motion clarity, but dlss is much closer to native though not quite there

Native exhibits ghosting in some scenes where as dlss/FSR 2 does not. So it seems to very much depend on the scene and kind of movement, object etc. Overall, dlss looks to be better for motion if looking at "everything" i.e. temporal stability, lack of ghosting (overall if going by DF comments) etc.

At the very end of the video he showed another weird ghosting issue with DLSS too that looks very similar to that FSR example posted earlier. Makes me think it might be an issue unique to this game rather than tied to either tech.

I think it is just down to different implementations doing things slightly different to achieve certain goals i.e. if AMD were to remove all the sharpening, you would probably get closer to dlss/natives temporal stability but then obviously you would lose the extra clarity and so on.

edit:

from reddit:

The more frames you use, the more accurate the reconstruction will be, but the worse ghosting will become, and vice versa (less frames, less accuracy, better ghosting). The more you try to mitigate ghosting, the less accuracy you get during disocclusion events (moments where it basically discards previous frames and starts fresh, if it detects that it's ghosting too much).

Upscaling is just an extremely difficult problem to acceptably solve, and is actually an impossible to perfectly solve. If you're upscaling from a 0.5x resolution source, you're effectively turning 1 input pixel into 4 output pixels. No matter which way you go about doing this, there will always be certain assumptions that are made by the algorithms, that you need to correct for to produce accurate results, and these corrections will always produce unfortunate side effects then you then need to correct for again.

If you're using a spatial upscaler (ie FSR 1.0, RSR, NIS, or the default bilinear filter that the driver uses), then you're looking at other neighbouring input pixels to figure out how the image changes in the nearby area, to estimate what the output pixels would be. This estimation will always be inaccurate since you're basing it off a low resolution neighbourhood, which leads to blurry results, so you need to correct for that by sharpening it, but this sharpening can easily lead to the image looking deep fried, so you need to carefully balance it.

If you're using a temporal upscaler (ie FSR 2.0, DLSS, XeSS, TAA, TAAU, TSR, etc), then you're moving the world in slight but meaningful increments each frame to change the contents of each pixel over time, and you're using past frames to look at how the 1 input pixel changes over time, to estimate what the output pixels would be. This estimation assumes that pixels only change over time due to the slight-but-meaningful movement, but this is obviously not the case as objects can move on their own, lighting conditions can change, an object can move in front of another object and block it, etc, so you need to correct for that by feeding that information into an algorithm that can detect how much the pixel has changed and correct for it (either an analytical algorithm like how FSR 2.0, TAA, TAAU or TSR work, or an AI-based algorithm like how DLSS or XeSS work), but this algorithm isn't perfect and won't catch changes in every situation (ie residual ghosting even with the algorithm), and it's own correction may produce unwanted side effects (ie the weird black artifacts with FSR 2.0), so you need to carefully adjust the algorithm accordingly.

Last edited:
Soldato
This dude is not on the official list of sources. ;)

Do people really refuse to accept the contents of a video if it's not from one of the big channels? The video simply shows FSR 2.0 and the improvements it provides for RT performance. That is interesting for those who want to use RT.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Do people really refuse to accept the contents of a video if it's not from one of the big channels? The video simply shows FSR 2.0 and the improvements it provides for RT performance. That is interesting for those who want to use RT.

Yes. This is what you have to tolerate until it supports their narrative I have noticed, hence why its a running point to make! :p

Soldato
Wondering if someone can clear something up for me ? What's the difference between Radeon Super Resolution and Fidelity FX Super Resolution ? Is it just driver implementation vs per game implementation ?

Soldato
Fidelity FX Super Resolution lets u go beyond native res i.e 1440p mon can do 4k it just expands internally then shrinks it so it fits the monitor, better texture details, less jaggies without using aa for example, but fps loss. (edit - thought u meant vsr on this bit, my bad)

rsr, upscales from lower than native res to ur native res i.e 1024 and runs it at say 1440p mon, u get more fps with little quality loss. Edit (this is driver level fsr 1.0, not as optimised as fsr 1.0 that a game dev has put in) But has a sharpness slider that ingame fsr doesnt have usually)

Fsr 1.0, Similar to RSR but is game integrated so has better optimizations than rsr but same job more or less, just would look a bit nicer and maybe a bit faster, plus the hud/ui ingame isnt as affected like rsr does tho not too bad from what i hear.

If you have a option use fsr ingame rather than rsr.

Some ppl have said u can force rsr on media apps but ive tried with kodi and potplayer but they dont seem to make the pic any nicer from say 480 source to 1440p. Unless they force it using profiles but i dont have profiles as i choose minimal driver install as dont fancy relive and all the other crap lol. Plus rsr doesnt work on dos games, i think it needs dx9 or better and fullscreen only. Shame as id like to see what toonstruck would have looked like upscaled nicely so less low res feeling and sharper. :(

Last edited:
Caporegime
Wondering if someone can clear something up for me ? What's the difference between Radeon Super Resolution and Fidelity FX Super Resolution ? Is it just driver implementation vs per game implementation ?
They are basically the same thing, but RSR is applied at a driver level can be applied to ANY game. FSR is game side and integrated by the developer for use in that game. Other than any changes the developers make to FSR for game integration, they are identical.

RSR also has a sharpness slider so you can adjust the sharpening applied from 1-100% in increments of 1%.

Soldato
They are basically the same thing, but RSR is applied at a driver level can be applied to ANY game. FSR is game side and integrated by the developer for use in that game. Other than any changes the developers make to FSR for game integration, they are identical.

RSR also has a sharpness slider so you can adjust the sharpening applied from 1-100% in increments of 1%.

Would the game implementation not have some tweaks and optimisations over the driver level version ?

Caporegime
Would the game implementation not have some tweaks and optimisations over the driver level version ?
Yes it would have that extra benefit. The most obvious difference is that FSR integrated on a game level does not affect the UI. RSR will add some sharpening to UI elements.

RSR works really well though, it is nice to have as an option if you need more FPS in any game. It also applies an adjustable sharpening pass similar to Radeon Image Sharpening which really helps improve the IQ.

By adjusting the resolution in game when using RSR, you in theory have more than just four image quality pre-sets like you do with FSR.

With FSR the sharpening pass is often decided by the developer. Though they do have the option to make the sharpening adjustable for the user if they want to.

Soldato
Yes it would have that extra benefit. The most obvious difference is that FSR integrated on a game level does not affect the UI. RSR will add some sharpening to UI elements.

RSR works really well though, it is nice to have as an option if you need more FPS in any game. It also applies an adjustable sharpening pass similar to Radeon Image Sharpening which really helps improve the IQ.

By adjusting the resolution in game when using RSR, you in theory have more than just four image quality pre-sets like you do with FSR.

With FSR the sharpening pass is often decided by the developer. Though they do have the option to make the sharpening adjustable for the user if they want to.

Awesome, Thanks for the info :)

Back
Top Bottom