FIFA Women's World Cup 2023 **spoilers** [20th July - 20th August 2023]

It's funny isn't it, not once when watching women's skiing or athletics do I think "Buh-but itz not lyke da menz one".

Problem with football is it is played on an absolutely massive pitch so levels and difference in those levels is off the charts.

Skiing and Athletics bar marathons last a fraction of the time. You are talking less than 5 minutes in most cases. Football is 90 minutes of 100% flat out. It is very unique in that respect and has to be one of the most physically demanding sports out there.

If they made the pitches smaller the women's game would be far more entertaining.

Literally no other sports compares the 2 so why does football have to have the same boring chat.
Tennis did when Women were talking about equal pay for doing less work. It's moved passed that now and I'm sure football will too. Oddly outside of the forums the ones driving the comparisons in my social media circles are women. They are the ones constantly banging on about it, not men. I barely know a man that watches or talks about it. Even listening to Talksport on Friday they were terrified to even comment on the England woman's manager being lined up as a possibility as the mens manager because they knew how it would be perceived despite how laughable it is.

Where I live the Girls grassroots game is funded at a massive level compared to the boys. I mean laughable levels of difference but it's got the girls playing and off their phones for a few hours so it's great to see.

Football is 90 minutes of 100% flat out. It is very unique in that respect and has to be one of the most physically demanding sports out there.
It isn't 100% flat out and it isn't one of the most physically demanding sports out there. They play Ice Hockey 100% flat out, but because of that they manage shifts of 1 and half minutes or performance massively drops. Cross country skiers, Rowers, Cycling, even just look at Paula Radcliffes pace over a marathon and try and tell me football is 100% flat out for 90 minutes. Even Crouch on his podcast used to say you will often see footballers sprint for a corner or throw in to get their numbers up for assessment :D

Jeez come in here hoping for some decent analysis and it’s the boring 30/40 year old men comparing men’s to women’s game. Literally no other sports compares the 2 so why does football have to have the same boring chat.

My Social Media is full of it with nearly all women and some men saying how the women are way better than the men and so on.
These idiots need taking down a peg or two by some people (not me) because as you say the two are different, no way could that women's team compete with a very lower league side.
Treat it for what it is, a bloody good job done in Women's football.

It isn't 100% flat out and it isn't one of the most physically demanding sports out there. They play Ice Hockey 100% flat out, but because of that they manage shifts of 1 and half minutes or performance massively drops. Cross country skiers, Rowers, Cycling, even just look at Paula Radcliffes pace over a marathon and try and tell me football is 100% flat out for 90 minutes. Even Crouch on his podcast used to say you will often see footballers sprint for a corner or throw in to get their numbers up for assessment :D

You train for a bike race or a Marathon a couple of times a year. Footballers are playing every 3 to 4 days now at the top. I really struggle to think of anything as demanding over a 12 month period.

Problem with football is it is played on an absolutely massive pitch so levels and difference in those levels is off the charts.

Skiing and Athletics bar marathons last a fraction of the time. You are talking less than 5 minutes in most cases. Football is 90 minutes of 100% flat out. It is very unique in that respect and has to be one of the most physically demanding sports out there.

If they made the pitches smaller the women's game would be far more entertaining.
Fair point is fair.

Yesterday for the very first time I saw some stats come up while I was watching the Man City match.
At around 80 minutes it gave the top 4 players who had run the most Km and Foden was at 10km.
Somebody like Foden should easily do 5K in 20 minutes, I did 18.44 on a Park Run in 2012 at age 54.

This really, there's no doubt the Women's game has got better in the last 10 years, England's goalkeeper being one inch taller than Messi and playing in the same goal as the men use just put's me off.

She's shorter than I was playing under 13 football, and we played in smaller goals.

Yesterday for the very first time I saw some stats come up while I was watching the Man City match.
At around 80 minutes it gave the top 4 players who had run the most Km and Foden was at 10km.
Somebody like Foden should easily do 5K in 20 minutes, I did 18.44 on a Park Run in 2012 at age 54.
I can do about 18.44 metres in 5k minutes

I'm not sure why people cant have an opinion on whether they enjoy watching something or not and its no different to expressing a view on a particular film etc. This isn't some reddit echo chamber. Its almost like if you criticise womens football you obviously hate women or something.

I agree re making the pitch smaller and also the goals, might make it more entertaining...suggest that though and its probably sexist.

Its vastly different to other sports so cant make a comparison.

At the moment its very mediocre and it just doesn't make for entertaining viewing imo.

This really, there's no doubt the Women's game has got better in the last 10 years, England's goalkeeper being one inch taller than Messi and playing in the same goal as the men use just put's me off.

She's shorter than I was playing under 13 football, and we played in smaller goals.

When Sam Kerr for Australia scored her goal against England your post is bang on, I think all male keepers would have got that no problem.

At the moment its very mediocre and it just doesn't make for entertaining viewing imo.

It's a good job you didn't start watching it years ago, women's football has come on leaps & bounds.

Last edited:
I agree re making the pitch smaller and also the goals, might make it more entertaining...suggest that though and its probably sexist.
I actually think the pitch size is ok but yeah the goal sizes should be reduced a little to account for the smaller goalkeepers in womens football generally speaking. As for being sexist, wouldnt let that bother you, its 2023, can barely say anything without someone somewhere throwing an *ist at you.

When Sam Kerr for Australia scored her goal against England your post is bang on, I think all make keepers would have got that no problem.

It's a good job you didn't start watching it years ago, women's football has come on leaps & bounds.
No doubt it has but for me and many others it still lacks quality and entertainment no matter how much the pundits like to sell it.

It wasn't a good game for England. They seemed to laid back with back passes. Then the goalkeeper kicks the ball off the side of the pitch for a throw in.

If a team can't score a goal in a game then they don't deserve the win.

Spain were more dynamic, moving around, crossing play.

You train for a bike race or a Marathon a couple of times a year. Footballers are playing every 3 to 4 days now at the top. I really struggle to think of anything as demanding over a 12 month period.

Yeah that's right the best Marathon runners in the world tinker along for 6 months waiting to go flat out for the big race twice per year. Spoken like someone who's never run round the block, let alone 26 miles at 2m 50 sec pace per kilometre. Football doesn't get close to 90 minutes 100%. Hockey teams play 82 games in the normal season and potentially another 28ish in just under 2 months for the cup at the end of that season. So Vegas this year played Over 100 season games. Football isn't even close to the most demanding sport out there.

Back
Top Bottom