FIFA Women's World Cup 2023 **spoilers** [20th July - 20th August 2023]

Yeah that's right the best Marathon runners in the world tinker along for 6 months waiting to go flat out for the big race twice per year. Spoken like someone who's never run round the block, let alone 26 miles at 2m 50 sec pace per kilometre. Football doesn't get close to 90 minutes 100%. Hockey teams play 82 games in the normal season and potentially another 28ish in just under 2 months for the cup at the end of that season. So Vegas this year played Over 100 season games. Football isn't even close to the most demanding sport out there.

I will be honest I do not follow hockey but they play 60 minutes games so only 2/3rd's of a football match (Your 100 games a season becomes similar to 66 games in the league which including pre season and international some players can be playing 80 games of football easily) and it is split into 20 minute segments. Iirc you can have unlimited substitutions and obviously the playing area is a lot smaller.

I am sure you can find a sport that is as physically demanding and stamina bound as Football but my point still stands as it is up there as one of the toughest over a season, a singular game and why the women's game falls short.

I will be honest I do not follow hockey but they play 60 minutes games so only 2/3rd's of a football match (Your 100 games a season becomes similar to 66 games in the league which including pre season and international some players can be playing 80 games of football easily) and it is split into 20 minute segments. Iirc you can have unlimited substitutions and obviously the playing area is a lot smaller.

I am sure you can find a sport that is as physically demanding and stamina bound as Football but my point still stands as it is up there as one of the toughest over a season, a singular game and why the women's game falls short.
60 minutes because they stop the clock which is still longer in play than premiership football games. But yeah you proved the point even more, I forgot so much of that 90 minutes isn’t even in play. What’s the average about 53 minutes? Hockey also has a longer preseason and international games and all star games. They often play back to back games or games with a days rest.

That’s just one sport that’s more demanding than football. Hockey wouldn’t even get close to rowing or cyclin and the girls do just great there too.

60 minutes because they stop the clock which is still longer in play than premiership football games. But yeah you proved the point even more, I forgot so much of that 90 minutes isn’t even in play. What’s the average about 53 minutes? Hockey also has a longer preseason and international games and all star games. They often play back to back games or games with a days rest.

That’s just one sport that’s more demanding than football. Hockey wouldn’t even get close to rowing or cyclin and the girls do just great there too.

Yet you totally ignore they have 5 subs and can make infinite substitutions and play on a smaller play area?

Last edited:
No doubt it has but for me and many others it still lacks quality and entertainment no matter how much the pundits like to sell it.

I know what you're saying, I only started watching it about 12 years ago because there was no other football to watch but the improvement from then to now is excellent.
I would compare them to watching 15 year old males who have been to a proper football academy and seriously would I watch those matches? - well yes if I didn't have a choice because I just love football.
However some of that passing and losing the ball in the final was like watching 8 year olds, it was very poor compared to their other matches, in fact you would hear me shouting out "It's like watching a bunch of 8 year olds" numerous times.
At the end of the day if professional men's football isn't on I'll tune in to watch but it would be a very rare occasion that match will engross me to not turn over to the men's football as soon as that starts.
Once again they have come on leaps & bounds and the Nation should be proud of them for what they have done to promote football amongst females, they've all become experts now on how much better the women are :)
I don't think we are too far off a female playing for a lower league men's side.

I mean it's a family issue and I'm not an athlete training for that single day so I can't judge.

I imagine most dads wouldn't want knowledge of their death to spoil the biggest day of their daughter's life.
I would expect most people in that situation would prefer their loved ones not to know so they can concentrate on the most important day of their lives.

Yet you totally ignore they have 5 subs and can make infinite substitutions and play on a smaller play area?
It's easier to just admit football is not played at 100% for 90 minutes.

Let's cut through the BS.

Adam is football played at 100% for 90minutes?

Yes or no. Far easier to admit your statement was either an exaggeration or rubbish. The girls game in not what is because of stamina issues.

Last edited:
Unbelievable that kiss from that knacker of an FA president. Did he, even for one second, think that the worlds media wouldn't pick it up and make him look like an absolute out of touch pest?

Unbelievable that kiss from that knacker of an FA president. Did he, even for one second, think that the worlds media wouldn't pick it up and make him look like an absolute out of touch pest?
Like Greg Clarke telling select committees that girls don't like having balls kicked at them and South East Asian's prefer to play on computers than play football or Infantino's "today I feel gay......" speech, these heads of governing bodies appear to live on another planet.

One step forward, two steps back. I get getting caught up in a moment but it's clear as day he shouldn't have done it. Her initial reaction said it all and I caught the faint whiff someone had a word with her after her Insta, as her tone seemed to change and massively downplayed it afterwards.

I've only just discovered the fallout between the players and Spanish coach, that's some turnaround.

Last edited:

Far too much is being made of this. I've seen and been kissed by all sorts of people in the euphoria following an important match result. There are even famous examples of male heterosexual footballers kissing each other in the heat of the moment.

Was it a bit daft, yes. Was it "sexual assault", no.

To each their own, indeed. Unfortunately we as a society so often try and view the actions of others in the worst possible light. Wouldn't things be nicer if we were more inclined to view the actions of others in the best possible light?
Different countries have different accepted norms, if she's fine about it that's the end of the story.

Years ago my Spanish friend said when she went out with her mates if they passed a building site and didn't get a wolf whistle they'd go back and get changed :cry:

To each their own, indeed. Unfortunately we as a society so often try and view the actions of others in the worst possible light. Wouldn't things be nicer if we were more inclined to view the actions of others in the best possible light?

I'm always torn with these sort of things. Personally I think far too many people have the resilience of a wet paper bag these days and a light breeze has them crying discrimination and oppression but its very hard to walk that line so we seen to have decided as a society that no one should ever do anything that might offend someone else (unless they are the right group of course).

Should he have kissed her? No, probably not. Was it a spur of the moment outpouring of emotion and pride? I would assume so. He wasn't trying to sneak a grope and this was in front of the eyes of the world so it wasn't clandestine sexual abuse.

As you say, everything is so polarised now that people immediately jump to the hottest of takes and the worst conclusion and most extreme punishment for the most innocuous of transgressions. I hate it but unfortunately we can't do much about it.

Different countries have different accepted norms, if she's fine about it that's the end of the story.

Years ago my Spanish friend said when she went out with her mates if they passed a building site and didn't get a wolf whistle they'd go back and get changed :cry:

Thats unfortunately not the case. Now there are a lot of people who will be offended on your behalf. If they can't do that then they will be offended on behalf of other people who would be bothered by it. Everyone has to be judged by the standards of the most offended. I understand where they are coming from but I think we have can a society where people don't have to put up with sexism and abuse without turning everyone into emotionless robots petrified to offend with every action.

Back
Top Bottom