Final Fantasy VII - "Remake"

Soldato
Three things I'm worried about:

1. How they handle the episodic thing.
2. The combat system.
3. Tetsuya Nomura being the director.

Regarding the episodic point; there's a (hopeful?) rumour floating around that it'll be done in two major parts with the end of the first game being the death of Aerith. Personally I'm fine with that as it does make sense on a plot level and how it sets up Episode 2.

However I can still see them "adding" content later like what they're doing with FFXV. I can see them releasing a semi-completed first episode but missing features like Gold Saucer, Chocobo Breeding, Summons, Fort Condor, Cosmo Canyon, "NEW Vincent/Yuffie backstory!" etc, and then releasing "content pack" DLC and dribbling them out until episode 2 arrives and repeating the process over again.

If I had to bet I'd say this is 90% going to be the case :(

Caporegime
Honestly I’d be totally fine with some end game content that wasn’t in the original, it’d have to make sense, but it shouldn’t be a problem.

An expanded world is worth some money, there is also some leeway midway through the story for additional areas to open up.

I don’t want to just replay ff7 in HD, the original is fine enough, myself and plenty of other people want something different, I’m sure the majority in here agree.

Though tbh, what I’d really want is an expanded ff12 universe... that world map was gorgeous.

Soldato
FFXII was a weird one for me. It felt stupidly long, but also didn’t feel like there was much in it, like, it felt like I got to the final dungeon very quickly.

I’d be happy with added stuff to FF7. :)

Soldato
If the rumour about it being a 2 part thing is true then I'm wondering how Vincent and Yuffie will be handled.

I can see them being in the main game but it will be barebones, like they'll have lines and do what they must "minimum" for the main plot to work. However their individual stories will be released as DLC following the first game... which I guess I'm OK with if they do it right.

For example Yuffies DLC could be about Wutai. They might swerve Wutai in the Remake and do something else with it in DLC, like expand the battle arena in Pagoda tower or something.

Vincents DLC could expand on the Turks,Lucrecia and on Hojo's experiments.

They're obviously going to change events around and cut some out, I just hope they still adhere to the old story and don't change the history.

Last edited:
Soldato
All to be taken with a pinch of salt, of course:

-Game is in fact 2 parts. Part 1 ends exactly as Aerith is let down into the water after her death and a fade to black.

-Materia is shown in ALMOST all weapons. They do not appear in accessories nor do accessories appear on your character model. Different weapons will however appear on your model for example Rune Blade will be on Cloud’s back if equipped and exploring.

-Different weapons have different triangle heavy hits (does not cost an ATB charge) Buster Sword has Punisher Rune Blade for for example has Cleave. You use these heavy hits after a string of regular hits. Regular hits are chip damage and the main damage will be from heavy combo finishers and the of course the massive LIMIT BREAKs.

-Using Magic will consume ATB along with MP. You get more bars as the game progresses.

-Summons will work for the most part as cut scenes like the original, they do not fight with you on the field. There is 1 new Summon Amarok and appears to be a wolf and causes darkness in addition to damage.

-Over-world map is almost seamless. There are some “zones.” There will be roads and methods of transportation. It is open world. Vehicles like the Tiny Bronco work almost exactly the same only being able to go in lighter water. There will be items available occasionally on the field. Chocobos will of course be obtainable after the farm.

-They have really made an effort to make each town feel lived in, and feel like there is a reason why each place is like the way it is. Each town is very unique from the last. Cosmo Canyon and its occasional dust storms are a stark contrast to the streets of Midgar. Upper Junon feels very much more like a military installation than Midgar as well.

-Sephiroth is very limited in what is shown of him until the Kalm flashback. Before this you only hear his voice or see glimpses of him during Clouds breakdowns.

-The HP shown during the state of play is not indicative of what their HP should/would be normally during those times. Simply for Dev showcasing.

-There will be demos on the game floor with PSN demo following shortly after for people at home directly after E3.(Playstation Plus required)

-Monster redesigns for a lot of the enemies but most will remain recognizable. Some do not make an appearance. For example there was no ghost enemies in the train yard.

-Shin-ra HQ wont have quite as many floors to explore but MORE to do on the floors you do go to so it still feels like your fighting through a lot to get to the top.

-The design for Tifa is also true to the original outfit, her face appears to be mostly similar to her Advent Children design but slightly more western. Materia also shows up on her gloves.

-Cait Sith seems to be pronounced “Ket” Sith but has undergone no major design overhaul. His fighting style is more close up, and does have his BARS for a LIMIT BREAK.

-Golden Saucer will have some games that are not playable(yet) because they are essentially replaying a part of a later story mission. Some will be playable right when you arrive. They want it to feel more grand and provide a break from the main story beats while still eventually having to incorporate the story into it later.

-Red XIII has clones Cobalt XIV and Indigo XV you must fight before he joins your party in Shin-ra HQ

-Cid does not appear to be smoking but you see evidence that he does. He is clearly upset with Shera but toned down the aggressiveness as they felt it was unnecessary.

-Yuffie and Vincent are no longer optional. You can miss them up until a certain point where they then become mandatory to get. You automatically get Yuffie if you have not gotten her before Rocket Town for example.

-Cloud will have a dress and wig in one particular scene. But its fade to black getting in/out of it.

-Honey Bee in requires GIL to get into instead of a membership card.

-Squatting mini-game returns.

-As these are FULL games each will be in fact priced at 59.99 USD

-Signals have gone out to retailers to prepare for pre-orders.

https://wccftech.com/final-fantasy-vii-remake-playable-demo/amp/

Associate
As long as Golden Saucer is not some DLC and it's still part of main game i'm good, the opportunity to battle the "Weapons" is not a thrown in DLC too and you can battle them in your own time then that be good too.

Associate
not to sure about this bit

As these are FULL games each will be in fact priced at 59.99 USD

i hope they dont make aload of stuff DLC making the full experince cos

Soldato
As much as I want this part of me was hoping they would scrap this episode idea, I think I'll just wait till its all out and get it then in a complete package of some sort

Soldato
I think I'll just wait till its all out and get it then in a complete package of some sort

Patience of a saint. As much as that's a lovely idea, I don't think I could wait any longer than absolutely necessary to play this game, in any format.

I've never taken a day off for anything media related, but this is going to be a first :)

Associate
Patience of a saint. As much as that's a lovely idea, I don't think I could wait any longer than absolutely necessary to play this game, in any format.

I've never taken a day off for anything media related, but this is going to be a first :)

same for me, as much as i have my doubts i will be getting the limited edition and take a couple of days off work

Soldato
I just think waited this long what's another year or 2 by there standards haha.

I could have course change my mind as its all ages away either way

Soldato
Looks like they might have lost turn based combat, which will be a big loss :(

They have defo lost it, we knew that ages ago. As long as it's not a copy of FF15 battle system it might be ok.

Something more like Crisis core would do and not feel too out of touch from the original series.

Time will tell though.

Back
Top Bottom