Final Fantasy VII - "Remake"

Associate
Had a weekend to digest the ending. Ultimately I'm not overjoyed with direction they are going in.

I know it gives them a chance to do new things and have new surprises, but Aerith's death is one of, if not the most, iconic scenes from video gaming. To even consider washing it aside just leaves me with a bad taste.

Also concerned that now we have 3 timelines, this is going the way of Kingdom Hearts plot complexity and that they can use the FFVII universe as bit of a cash cow for a decade rather than having the single focused plot of the original. I know the originals plot could have been told better, but I'd rather have that than Sephiroth appearing, evil plan, getting defeated on repeat.

I guess the best way I can look at it is that it's a sequel, rather than a retelling, with Aerith & Sephiroth knowing & changing the timeline. Still, I'd rather them just have retold and fleshed out the original story.

Caporegime
I enjoyed it but was expecting some kind of end game where you could explore/max everything out rather than replaying the same old chapters again, also no way am I wasting time on hard mode if it was just tougher enemies I would have gave it a go but as it stands it's just an exercise in levelling and choosing the right materia and then having to be frugal with MP during fights, where's the fun in that?

IMO they should have had a hard mode with tougher enemies and then an insane mode with the items removed.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I enjoyed it but was expecting some kind of end game where you could explore/max everything out rather than replaying the same old chapters again, also no way am I wasting time on hard mode if it was just tougher enemies I would have gave it a go but as it stands it's just an exercise in levelling and choosing the right materia and then having to be frugal with MP during fights, where's the fun in that?

IMO they should have had a hard mode with tougher enemies and then an insane mode with the items removed.

you could always remove all your materia and only use Cloud in all your fights never switching?

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

I did not bother with hard mode as I will be playing it again once it is released on steam. Managed to sell it and breakeven, so it did not cost me a penny :D

Hopefully the PC version comes with all dlc that is a complete edition, if so I will support them and buy it day one. If not will wait 6-12 months and buy it for a tenner or so.

Soldato

There's a few extra's by playing on hard.

Further weapon upgrades with a new tier
A ton of new manuscripts to max your weapons
Some bosses have additional abilities/mechanics
Additional Hard mode only VR Battles
All your gear, materia, achievements, inventory carries over to hard.

Soldato

You can't use items at all on hard mode and you can not restore any MP (except for the odd crate, mp absorb and Aerith's ability).

I'm up to chapter 13 on hard mode now. After you get used to the different way of playing (minimal magic use) it becomes easier but still a decent challenge. I've one shot most bosses but some encounters have been really tricky (hell house being one of them although I managed to one shot it the second time I killed it).

Soldato
You can't use items at all on hard mode and you can not restore any MP (except for the odd crate, mp absorb and Aerith's ability).

I'm up to chapter 13 on hard mode now. After you get used to the different way of playing (minimal magic use) it becomes easier but still a decent challenge. I've one shot most bosses but some encounters have been really tricky (hell house being one of them although I managed to one shot it the second time I killed it).

You'll have to replay chapter 9 twice to get all the manuscripts :) I thought Hell House is over rated on Hard but it's all subjective, I killed it on my second try
after the surprise of seeing Tomberrys jump out of Hell House, catching me off guard the first time. There was one boss I had a harder time with which you haven't done yet ;) and it's not from chapter 18!

Seen a few people post with the opinion that content would likely be cut in future parts. There's some new info popping up lately.

Interview from Ultimania with Nomura, Nojima and Kitase

They don’t plan to remove locations and scenes that the fans expect to see from the original in the next installments, and that the continuation of the remake will not be entirely different from the OG. Nojima even mentioned that he would like to add villages from CC. (Crisis Core)

With regards to how many parts for Remake

They have a general image of the total number of parts for the remake, but can’t talk about it now.

Nomura promised that the fans will get all the answers for the ending in the next installments, and hopefully he talk about it in a few years.

They also acknowledged speculation regarding 3 parts but wouldn't confirm.

Kitase: (How many parts?) We have a general idea of how the story will play out, but we haven't decided exactly [how many parts], nor can we confirm anything. There's speculation that it will be 3 parts, but we're just doing things one step at a time.

Regarding part 2.

Nomura: (How about the next part?) Depends on how many parts the overall story will be. If we divide the story into large parts, it'll take longer to make. If we divide it into more detailed smaller sections, then developing it will be faster. I hope to release the next one ASAP.

More info and spoilers below.

Sephiroth’s page is interesting they briefly explain 19 scenes he appears in, categorizing Sephiroth’s “true form” for each scene into 4 types:

幻: an illusion that only Cloud can see

黒マント: black-hooded figures that are seen as sephiroth

回想: recollection, Sephiroth of the past

?: a question mark explained as Sephiroth that can be seen by others beside Cloud and is not one of the black-hooded men. this question mark Sephiroth is the one that appears at the end of the Midgar Expressway during the end of the game

According to Ultimania the Sephiroth in Chapter 17 where Cloud attacks him is a black-hooded figure seen as Sephiroth.

So 4 types of Sephiroth.

1. Illusion. We know this from the original that Sephiroth can communicate with others that have the Jenova Cells.
2. Black-Hooded Figures. We again know that the Black-Hooded Figures are "Sephiroth Clones" that Hojo experimented on
3. Recollection. Memories.
4. Edge of Creation Sephiroth. We now know there was no clone when Battling Sephiroth in Chapter 18, which leads to some speculation to who/what it was.

In the last pages of the Ultimania, they reflect on “4 newly born mysteries”.

1. What does Aerith know?
2. What is the objective of the Whispers?
3. Who is Sephiroth that appears in the end?
4. What does Zack’s victory mean?

They briefly explain each of the mysteries above.

Regarding the whispers/arbiters of fate

“we should wonder about the future of Cloud and the others since they destroyed the Whispers and crossed the wall of Destiny”

Regarding the 3 whispers of fate in chapter 18

In Chapter 18, there are three Whispers of Fate (Rubrum, Viridi, and Croceo) who use a sword, hand combat, & a gun. These three share the same fighting style as Kadaj, Loz, and Yazoo from Advent Children. Whisper Croceo has a move called “Velvet Nightmare” = name of Yazoo's gun.

Character Info

According to the Ultimania book, Andrea Rhodea and Jules are actually siblings. Jules is Andrea's younger brother.

Ultimania book has officially revealed the ages of Rufus and the Turks:
Rufus: 30 years old
Tseng: 30 years old
Reno: 28 years old
Rude: 30 years old

Reeve: 35 years old

Additional content from Crisis Core sounds awesome.

Last edited:
Soldato
You'll have to replay chapter 9 twice to get all the manuscripts :) I thought Hell House is over rated on Hard but it's all subjective, I killed it on my second try
after the surprise of seeing Tomberrys jump out of Hell House, catching me off guard the first time. There was one boss I had a harder time with which you haven't done yet ;) and it's not from chapter 18!

Seen a few people post with the opinion that content would likely be cut in future parts. There's some new info popping up lately.

Additional content from CC sounds awesome.

Yup, I've got all the manuscripts from chapter 9 now. I'm definitely happy to see the back of that chapter. I messed up the dresses so replayed it a lot!

Oh God, not looking forward to that then. Haha.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
By the way wanted to ask:

What was the difference in price for the hand massage? I paid 3K I think it was, I thought that maybe my stats would go up or some other perk. Maybe all I unlocked was Clouds sexy time noises? Lol

Soldato
By the way wanted to ask:

What was the difference in price for the hand massage? I paid 3K I think it was, I thought that maybe my stats would go up or some other perk. Maybe all I unlocked was Clouds sexy time noises? Lol

It's to do with the possible outcomes for Clouds dress and side missions during that chapter.

Soldato
I wish there was a proper NG+. I really want to play through the game again straight away. I've used chapter select to do that but it's far too easy so far.

I would like to play hard mode, but some of the changes just don't seem fun to me.

Caporegime
Yeah the MP rationing is a real deal breaker for me, I'd love to give the game a try on a harder setting but it's just not worth the stress having to manage MP. It's like FIFA having a harder setting where you can only shoot 5 times during a match due to the absence of a better AI, it's just a cheap way to make things more difficult and zaps enjoyment out of the game because you can't play how you want to but rather are forced to play in a certain way.

Last edited:
Soldato
Why are people not just using the spoiler thread instead of littering this one with hidden spoilers? It's really frustrating for someone who hasn't finished the game yet.

Soldato

Why are people not just using the spoiler thread instead of littering this one with hidden spoilers? It's really frustrating for someone who hasn't finished the game yet.

Don't click the tags? Don't read the thread before completing it? Stop being mad that members are courteous enough to apply spoiler tags so far after release? The game has been available for for 3 weeks now, with some having their physical copy for about a month. Every game thread doesn't need multiple threads for spoiler/non spoiler discussion, especially at this point.

Soldato
Don't click the tags? Don't read the thread before completing it? Stop being mad that members are courteous enough to apply spoiler tags so far after release? The game has been available for for 3 weeks now, with some having their physical copy for about a month. Every game thread doesn't need multiple threads for spoiler/non spoiler discussion, especially at this point.

But the point is that there is a spoiler thread already for this so why not just use it?
No matter how much people try to be courteous by using spoiler tags there is always the 'implication' of something that may or may not happen in the text surrounding it. It's happened loads with podcasters who try to pussy foot around spoilers but always imply something with their wording.

Setting a time frame of 3 weeks to a month for a 40+ hour game to delve into spoilers isn't exactly a long time for a lot of people.

Soldato
But the point is that there is a spoiler thread already for this so why not just use it?
No matter how much people try to be courteous by using spoiler tags there is always the 'implication' of something that may or may not happen in the text surrounding it. It's happened loads with podcasters who try to pussy foot around spoilers but always imply something with their wording.

Setting a time frame of 3 weeks to a month for a 40+ hour game to delve into spoilers isn't exactly a long time for a lot of people.

Yeah, perhaps. Except you didn't buy it on release and spend a lot of time posting/active here. Something tells me you can make the time rather than complaining about others here. God help you browsing YouTube or Reddit for FF:R content.

I get about 2hrs gameplay a night a few times a week so no I'm not completed at all.

Completely fine, you aren't complaining about others engaging in the games discussion.

Soldato
Yeah, perhaps. Except you didn't buy it on release and spend a lot of time posting/active here. Something tells me you can make the time rather than complaining about others here. God help you browsing YouTube or Reddit for FF:R content.

It was released on the 10th and I got it on the 13th, hardly a massive amount of time. Even if you could get in 2 hours a day thats 40 hours since release day, according to HLTB a leisurely playthrough of the story + extras takes around 55 hours, but 40 hours is a number I've heard thrown about a lot.

Who are you to judge how much game time people can get in? Some people have full time jobs and families to look after and why would I be browsong Reddit or YouTube looking for FF7 content?

Back
Top Bottom