Fire Thread! - Stoves, Wood, Axes, Chainsaws

Introduced the new toys to the rest of the gang :D

IMG-20220911-131039-01.jpg

Anyone used these?

They look similar to what I use (post #302), but at twice the cost.
They are brilliant though.
All look similar to the ones Aldi sell as well.
They should all be forced to put the calorific value so you can work out what's best.

These look even cheaper.

The heat output is on the websites of the above.
Yeah just wish all sites did the same for all fuel. Plus none of this liters of logs and do it in kg.
I'm just looking for a clean burning best value for the output fuel.
The compressed heatlogs seem good especially the hardwood version that's cleaner burning.
Get some logs for effect as well I guess.

Does this look alright.

Items
Installation
1 @ 770.83
Flue Materials
1 @ 562.50
Slate Hearth
1 @ 166.67
Grey Split Chamber
1 @ 333.33
Light Set
1 @ 108.33
Arada Holborn Widescreen
1 @ 1,208.33
Oak Beam
1 @ 150.00

Lit the log burner tonight - It's not been on since chimney was cleaned so giving it a try - Also I bought a fan months ago so needed to see if that worked - It's only a 4" fan as I only have 7" headroom - very surprised at the amount of hot air it is moving and how soon it came on - around 100C.
Just going to order another for the other side of stove - They should make a noticable difference.

PS. would you believe it - Sold out! -- Found it -name change to EcoFlow mini

Decided to give the stove a clean and fit a new rope to the door before it's running 24/7 this winter.
Dirtbusters stove polish got some decent reviews and after a thin coat (I'll do another) over the main body it looks pretty decent.
I'll fit the rope tomorrow and do the same to the door..

v8xwwCH.jpg

If your sweep is like one I had it will be worth every penny - I can't believe I used to walk along ridge tiles with rods under my arm and shove em down the chimney standing on one leg. (bungalow )
Also when he had finished I couldn't find one speck of soot. How things have changed. :)

Were a bungalow too and first sweep since installed in 2017 (I know!!) So will be interesting to see if there is any difference and the state of the flue!

In other news had the green light from the Mrs to get a second burner! To go in the kitchen

Now

IMG-20220915-073850.jpg

Digital imagery of proposed installation

IMG-20220915-073850-01.jpg

:D

At old house we had a Little Wenlock in the kitchen - you wouldn't believe what went on it.

It replaced a Rayburn which was worn out and dusty - Our first delve into stoves but then in the 80s wood was free - people coudn't give it away.

A neighbour two doors away had tree cutters in today but they don't give it away anymore.

This is Fred and he has done two shifts this week and thought it was a struggle for him so bought him a mate

jesW3Mll.jpg

Meet Freda.

DZHcSUXl.jpg

The fire was on it's last legs last night but Fred was still pumping out hot air - Very impressed with them.

The black hole

zEzkRU1l.jpg

That by the way that is a steel box the fire is sitting in - Over the years on all the other stoves the surround has cracked even though it was asbestolux - Only regret is not knocking out a bit more of the chimney breast for a bigger box - but it is fine for our small lounge.

When this was up and running the first time we noticed the wall behind the fireplace (in dining room behind) was getting quite hot even though the gap between box and brickwork inside chimney was filled with vermiculite and above was filled with cement/vermiculite mix.

Unfortunateley the builder put 8" crock chimney liners upside down so eventulally we had tar water coming down side of chimney wall.
Out it all came -Flue liner installed and all put back and no more tar water.

One other thing I did was get a sheet of metal and fix it to back of box (you can see a line level with top of fans) Left a gap top and bottom - also put vent into dining room so now no hot wall behind and nice warm airflow due to metal plate heating up and convecting air from vent tube and from vent in floor under the stove.

Back
Top Bottom