Fire Thread! - Stoves, Wood, Axes, Chainsaws

I built a log store from scratch last week, thought I'd share the build here!

It's put to shame by the scale of @john_smith 's :D But hopefully it'll hold up!

I built a log store from scratch last week, thought I'd share the build here!

It's put to shame by the scale of @john_smith 's :D But hopefully it'll hold up!
Nice build.

Half an hour's therapy with the Kindling Cracker and plenty of kindling to get us going when the burner eventually gets lit

IMG-20220919-152241-01.jpg

After reading about cutting kindling above it sort of got me thinking - I have always used a small chopper and now my right eye is going getting things central is dodgy.
So the idea of wacking the wood with hammer sounded better than with a axe. Also my vice is on workbench so clamping a axe in there was out as it's way to high.

So here is my latest home made bodge job. I only use scrap building timber etc for kindling - I would struggle with log splitting as there is not enough clear depth -bolts would get in way although I have chamfered the top of angle iron I have bolted it to.

Qg7rJTwl.png.jpg

Drilling those two holes in the blade was a whole day job -numerous drill bits of all sizes scrapped -2x8mm bits rubbished and two 8mm cobalt bits are not looking to good either - That blade was the hardest metal I have ever drilled in.
Obviously it's hardened steel.

Good work @DXP55 :D

You could use the one I have for smallish logs / splits but definately just using it for Kindling

Workflow has increased dramatically over the hand axe and a lot less dangerous too !

Painted my bodge job kindle splitter and while it was on floor I gave it a try and it's solid on it's own -no need to bolt it to my homemade bodge stool.
Really wish I had aquired more of that angle iron when it was being taken out.

This is why I made a kindle splitter - Cleaned my axes up - was hoping rubber handle one was Estwing but upon cleaning handle on end I found "made in Taiwan" - The other one is a Elwell and reused old handle although has a chip out of the end.

MJKjDhGl.jpg :(

Got an install date of second week in November. Looking forward to it getting done. First step in decorating the living room.

This is why I made a kindle splitter - Cleaned my axes up - was hoping rubber handle one was Estwing but upon cleaning handle on end I found "made in Taiwan" - The other one is a Elwell and reused old handle although has a chip out of the end.

MJKjDhGl.jpg :(
I was thinking about you on the weekend -- I have a set of needle nose plyers that are gummed up. They are my "favourites" - haven't used them for decades. How would I go about cleaning them? Soak them in something?

I was thinking about you on the weekend -- I have a set of needle nose plyers that are gummed up. They are my "favourites" - haven't used them for decades. How would I go about cleaning them? Soak them in something?
I am not a expert by any means -Best bet is go on Youtube and look for refurbishing hand tools -They use rust remover - or white vinegar and soda -just depends.
Mine were not rusted up but dirty with bits of rust -I used a 6" wire wheel in the grinder -then deremel with sanding tubes -then a lot of elbow grease and sandpaper.
They make it look so easy on Youtube but I think it's days of work all cut down to 30min.

It is rewarding when you have cleaned them up but I could never get the mirror finish they do.

SAS.
Cones burn well quickly but we don't have any around here.
Also if you change your fire bricks you can buy it in sheets and cut it with a hand saw - One side of mine cracked so while I was at it I cut a new one for each side and back -they are now sitting on shelf in garage ready.

PS - You did read the acorn thread ? ;)

Last edited:
ISAS.
Cones burn well quickly but we don't have any around here.
Also if you change your fire bricks you can buy it in sheets and cut it with a hand saw - One side of mine cracked so while I was at it I cut a new one for each side and back -they are now sitting on shelf in garage ready.

PS - You did read the acorn thread ? ;)

Cheers - Yeah we're lucky where we are that there are loads and always grab a few carriers full. We tend to add to the kindling rather than use as :)

ive seen the sheet on Amazon and read it's easily cut, may need some anyway of I end up installing the burner in the gazebo but good to know - cheers

lol, yes I did :Dl

Back
Top Bottom