Fire Thread! - Stoves, Wood, Axes, Chainsaws

This is Fred and he has done two shifts this week and thought it was a struggle for him so bought him a mate

The fire was on it's last legs last night but Fred was still pumping out hot air - Very impressed with them.

The black hole

zEzkRU1l.jpg
Hi Fred & Freda!

I've been considering a secondary fan for our setup, but figured them both 'pushing' out from the stove top was the best configuration - pulling air up from the rear of the stove - convection - then pushing it out. But have you noticed improved 'room' airflow with yours set like above in a push & pull config?

Have quite a small recessed fire and chimney not too unlike yours size & width wise. But I have probably twice the headroom, but the room around it is open plan so just sucks up any heat output. Will take 2-3 hours of stove time during the cold weather to really notice much difference to the room more than a couple of meters from the stove. Have a single stove fan and it works, but considering shifting more air from the fireplace would just heat the room more, it has to doesn't it?! :)

See EcoFlow do a twin 4 blade which looks like it could be a beast!

Got on it today

You guys looking like Professionals! Great work and awesome to have access to all that space/kit/plant/wood! Very jealous! :)

I built a log store from scratch last week, thought I'd share the build here!

It's put to shame by the scale of @john_smith 's :D But hopefully it'll hold up!
It's awesome, really well done! Time and again I look at the 'kit' ones and they seemed 'overpriced' before (couple of years ago) and now they're even double that price.

I may have access to some pallets through work, have considered seeing if I can get some broken ones for burning, but now also considering even purchasing a couple (as we buy them new to use) which I could use as a cheap way of buying timber for building a store... I have some felt for a roof and even some quite heavy chipboard I could use for the roof. Maybe just buy some heavy posts for the sides then use pallets for the floor & sides. Would be quite a low one compared to yours due to the space I have so could even maybe put 2 'half pallets' up as the walls, so all I'd need to build was the base and rear...

Good work @DXP55 :D

You could use the one I have for smallish logs / splits but definately just using it for Kindling

Workflow has increased dramatically over the hand axe and a lot less dangerous too !
It looks awesome, although they seem to be crazy priced for what they are?!

Found a UK distributor based in Manchester for them (for any others interested): https://fandangofiretools.co.uk/collections/all-products

Did you spot/read up any cheaper / 'knock-off' ones during your reading around?

I came across this one, made of steel rather than cast iron, but quite local to me (Bridgnorth which isn't far from some others in here!) and half the price so considering as a nice way to support some British manufacturing rather than one made in Australia and shipped over! ;)

Note: Saw a bunch of cheap ones listed on ebay from 'Belgium' but when digging into the details the sellers/registered businesses where China.

Saw a picture of someone using one of those 'grenade' log splitters, but with that secured to a log, so rather than trying to get the thing into a log (the hardest part as they're so awkward!), you smack logs down onto it. Considering that myself as have one on the shelf and hardly use it.

Last edited:
Both of the fans throw out quite a noticable amount of air which was more than I expected. We only have a small room although the dining room is behind the chimney breast and it open to lounge.

I have only just tested these on test lighting the fire so need to wait till winter starts before we really put load of wood on it - Another thing I didn't expect is they came on 10 min or so after lighting the stove and it didn't feel hot but the air from fans was quite warm.

Really if you have a big room you need a bigger log burner - Mine is only 4.5kw

@Roady yes online it ! Not cheap but will last a lifetime.

I looked at some of the cheaper ones on Amazon, eBay and Facebook and it's the old adage of buy quality and buy once

The others had varying mixed reviews and some.look very flimsy in contrast to the Kindling Cracker which is pretty much solid feedback

I saw the local distributor in Warrington way isn't far from me at all but went with Amazon for the guaranteed next day delivery and ease of returns if I wasn't happy with it ...

Regarding fans - love mine and thinking of a second !

And chimney sweep has been

IMG-20220922-142822-01.jpg

All good. He couldn't remove the fire bricks so went in through the hatch on the stove pipe.

Said it definitely needed a clean but wasn't bad at all to say it hadn't been swept in 5 years .....

Last edited:
Decided to get prepped as #winteriscoming :P

Filled up the kindling bucket

IMG-20220922-185823-01.jpg

And the log basket

IMG-20220922-190231-01.jpg

"Stacked" the stove but not too full as it will be the first burn of the season and been freshly swept

IMG-20220922-190238-01.jpg

All ready to go once deemed it's cold enough to light :D

IMG-20220922-191246-01.jpg

Or I can't resist any longer :D

It's surprising how quick you get through kindling -_ have three dustbins up garden behind oil tank and no soon as you start one it's empty although it's probably been weeks.
I usually buy fire lighter's in summer when they are on offer due to BBQ about -Got about ten boxes ranging from 60p to 99p -depends on how many are in box.

Seeing that newspaper in the stove there reminded me of the open fires we used to have at home and Dad holding a newspaper across front of fireplace to get draught under grate - didn't half go.

I assume there was no mess after sweep came and did he use thin rods and battery drill.

It's surprising how quick you get through kindling -_ have three dustbins up garden behind oil tank and no soon as you start one it's empty although it's probably been weeks.
I usually buy fire lighter's in summer when they are on offer due to BBQ about -Got about ten boxes ranging from 60p to 99p -depends on how many are in box.

Seeing that newspaper in the stove there reminded me of the open fires we used to have at home and Dad holding a newspaper across front of fireplace to get draught under grate - didn't half go.

I assume there was no mess after sweep came and did he use thin rods and battery drill.

Yeah, that big green bucket I've filled is massive but that one kindling bin has made a dent in it!

We collect paper during the year (Amazon packaging is fantastic :D) and use that instead of fire lighters.

Sometimes light some and sit on the topmost the logs to help warm the flue

Yep, sweep used a drill, rods and a mahoosive vacuum. Very tidy, slight sooty smell in the stove, but only to be expected

All good and very impressed :)

You know what to do @{SAS}TB!

giphy.gif

:cry: :cry: not just yet ....

#soon :D

So this year I need to invest in a fire guard and the little one will no doubt be walking, she’s already close to it. Can anyone recommend a good baby proof fire guard?

Our store is full now, mixture of oak, ash, birch and Hawthorne. Store is approx 4.2 x 2 x 2m - should just about see us through winter.

Still need to block pave the front and gravel around, will get round to it one day…luckily it’s not the main garden.

I like the idea of using the trays for smaller wood, where'd you get them from?

Thats a neat log store -made a good job of that. I have trays similar to those which are supermarket baskets -They stack and I have a roof on it -I made our cat a summer house but he didn't use it so roof sits perfect on top of the trays.
I use them for scrap wet wood and also the bits from log deliveries.

Today I took my trailer to get a load of logs -The loads I have delivered come on flat trailer with low sides so know how much is there - The log man filled it and we (wife) went and filled trailer up -We stack it and most of it went on although it half the size of log mans but we stacked it on trailer -I put sheets over top and it will stay in there to it's needed. Had two big rubbish bags full and few loose in boot.
This is load I had from him last time -Gone up from£95 to £105. Oak and Ash.

Ms1mg8pl.png.jpg

So this year I need to invest in a fire guard and the little one will no doubt be walking, she’s already close to it. Can anyone recommend a good baby proof fire guard?
Try googling "childproof fire guards" There seem to be quite a few out there.

Can't recommend as have no kids.

I lit our fire tonight for the first time in the 2022/23 Autumn/Winter season. It's not cold up here; windy, but still mild. Although it is starting to cool down slowly. So, I didn't need to light it, I just wanted to :D

My pride and joy (please note: we don't use the sockets behind the stove. The installer said the sockets will be fine, just don't use them. On my to-do list is terminate the cables and get rid of that socket):
YJCBPwK.jpg.png

Another reason I wanted to light the fire is to burn off the remnants of the sweep's soot saturated gloves, from the internal ceramics, when he swept back in July. I also use the "Scandinavian" method of lighting the fire - firelighter and kindling on top of the logs. The theory being the flame is closer to the flue, so rising warm air hits the flue sooner and establishes the air flow circuit quicker. I'm still not sure if I'm convinced on that tbh:
9Wp9Dco.jpg.png

Fire starting to catch well, door left slightly ajar for a little additional airflow:
hOqMeb1.jpg.png

Last year I was 100% oak, which I soon learned is a right 'mare to get going. This year I'm 50% birch, which catches a lot easier. 1 oak and 1 birch log in the base of the fire. Threw on another birch for good measure :cry::
bCs4V0s.jpg.png

Some people in this thread have named their fans. I am no exception. Everyone, meet ***** McFanface :cry:, and she's just kicked in:
dvULdD5.jpg.png

With the fire well and truly underway, I've closed the air vent almost fully, where the heat and 'dancing plasma' are plentiful:
HOY8FNw.jpg.png

The final, and more sincere reason for lighting, is I'm getting back into photography. Camera set up on a tripod in front of the stove. I took 165 pics this evening, a few with the camera on Auto, but the vast majority on different, manually set, ISOs, F stops, shutter speeds and brightnesses. Owing to the lighting, or lack thereof, I had to use some very high ISO settings, which is why some of the pics appear grainy/'noisy'.

I can't wait for winter. Just having the stove on, whether it's cold or not, adds a certain ambiance to your room. I enjoy sitting in front of the fire in winter, accompanied by a nice Single Highland Malt.

Cheers,

FB..

Last edited:
Thanks to anyone who mentioned kindel splitter which gave me the idea of trying to make one.

I did make one but it does have a few flaws -One being the angle iron I bolted the kindle splitter to gets in the way of a long split so have to push wood to the right to get it to run over the slope I ground on top of angle iron. The second problem is it's only suitable for easy to split logs - like any soft wood or straight grained hard wood and definately none with knots.

As I use the logs any I find with straight grain and short I will put aside just in case as at the moment I have quite a bit of building timber to cut up.

10 min trial

ag4KpbUl.png.jpg

Pretty all our kindling is plant / tree cuttings / branches etc from the garden which I let dry in the top of the log stores. Surplus moves into the garage where I got a load of banana boxes stuffed full. I haven't had to chop logs for ages and with a decent sized garden, just the annual pruning turns up plenty of material.

Really small stuff goes in the garden recycling bin or onto the compost heap, but anything decent I keep for the log burner.

Well looking at the fans as the one i picked up from Aldi last year is a bit rubbish... but found this instead :)

Back
Top Bottom