Fire Thread! - Stoves, Wood, Axes, Chainsaws

So how much did is required to keep a stove going all day just ticking over?

How long will 1m3 last.

On that luxury wood place they come in either crates or 30l nets. The nets would be very handy for now. But how many.

Last edited:
So how much did is required to keep a stove going all day just ticking over?

How long will 1m3 last.

On that luxury wood place they come in either crates or 30l nets. The nets would be very handy for now. But how many.

We bought 70 nets a couple of years ago but this year we went for a full crate. You’re definitely paying more for having them in nets. If you have a log store I wouldn’t bother paying the premium for the nets.

Keeping the stove on all day depends on the size/output of the stove. Ours is 10.6kW and I’m yet to master keeping it just ticking over enough to output some heat but keep it hot enough to add logs every hour.

I think last Winter it would burn through 3-4 logs every 45 minutes.

We bought 70 nets a couple of years ago but this year we went for a full crate. You’re definitely paying more for having them in nets. If you have a log store I wouldn’t bother paying the premium for the nets.

Keeping the stove on all day depends on the size/output of the stove. Ours is 10.6kW and I’m yet to master keeping it just ticking over enough to output some heat but keep it hot enough to add logs every hour.

No log store yet, it'll all be going on the garage for this winter.
It's a 4.9kw.

Last edited:

Sounds like you have way too much draw going on there.

You should be able to adjust the airflow until you have just enough to keep the burn going without banking the fire completely.

Sounds like you have way too much draw going on there.

You should be able to adjust the airflow until you have just enough to keep the burn going without banking the fire completely.

If I reduce the airflow it peters out. Only had it one year so will play around again with it this Winter. But last year it seemed to burn through logs quite quickly and if I reduced the number of logs it couldn't sustain the heat, and if I reduced the airlow a fair bit it wouldn't stay hot enough so opening the door would cause smoke to come out instead of up and adding a log wouldn't get it burning again.

Last edited:
Fred and Freda were going at it hammer and tongs last night - Odd thing was Freda actally started it first - unusual for a woman.

10.6Kw is a massive stove -you need plenty of wood on there to get it hot and I mean hot - once there you can close it down slowly untill you get it ticking over and then you must keep that temp up for new logs to burn but not run away. When it's died down too much just undo door latch and open door a fraction to get a bit of air in and it's drawing again before you fully open door -shouldn't puff smoke out then.

At my old place I had a big stove like that but at the time I could get trailer full of logs for £10 or so -- so we just threw them on - I am glad now that this one it's only 4.5Kw - three big logs fills it so it's quite easy to control - Got it sitting at around 250-300c
:)

I think this is the best I can find.

£345 for 1.7m3 of Oak ready to burn.

I'm not looking forward to needing to carry it all up the drive and through the garage though.

Last edited:
I think this is the best I can find.

£345 for 1.7m3 of Oak ready to burn.

I'm not looking forward to needing to carry it all up the drive and through the garage though.
Surely the 2.35m3 for £380 they do is better value?

https://www.buyfirewooddirect.co.uk/product/large-crate-kiln-dried-mixed-hardwoods/

I mean all of the prices make my eyes water, but I'm fortunate and used to getting it for free from the farm.

Last edited:
Cubic metre (in 1m lengths) or “stere” of firewood here is now €70 collected, up €5 from last year.

Compressed wood pellets have tripled in price over the last 12 months and stocks are running low across France. Something of a kick in the dangly bits for all those green thinking types that were advised to rip out their perfectly good (sometimes only 2-3 years old) oil and gas boilers over the last few years and replace them with pellet feed burners.

Everyone who ripped oil/gas CH systems out and replaced them with ground or air sourced heat pumps at least is protected by a 15% electricity price cap for 2023, but the average of €5K - €7K cost of doing so could have purchased year‘s worth of heating oil or gas.

We'll obviously but I think that will be a bit much for this winter and it's got to fit in my garage. I also plan to get some compressed wood fuel as well purely for heat.
0.5m3 is not a massive amount extra to store is it and you'll soon get through it.

Did another tub of kindling today and my Mrs is off to see her elderly father and am sending what I have chopped up with her, for him

IMG-20221008-093307-01.jpg

Took about 40 minutes which I didn't think was bad at all.

Also popped into the local fireplace showroom and got a quote to install this into the kitchen

IMG-20221007-103850.jpg

Prices have definitely gone up and even I place the order now, his next installation slot is February !

Got bored so went rummaging .....

I had a load of gravel boards delivered a while back to clad two sides of the gazebo and they lifted it off onto two timber skids. I thought they were some chunky softwood, but they weight an absolute ton and definately hardwood. About 5" square and 4 foot odd long

IMG-20220915-134407.jpg

They've been in the garage and device to process them so started off sawing into burner friendly lengths

IMG-20221009-132738.jpg

Then split them down

IMG-20221009-133859.jpg

Initially started with the x7 hand axe, but it's a chopping axe and was way too much effort, so broke out the big boy, which was overkill but enjoyable :D

IMG-20221009-133911.jpg

Quick test with the moisture meter

IMG-20221009-134056.jpg

Not the dryest, but pleasantly surprised and will be getting burnt mixed in with some dryer stuff.

Back
Top Bottom