Fire Thread! - Stoves, Wood, Axes, Chainsaws

Does this look okay for a wood store?

Last edited:
These are good stove top fans, really good customer service too

Anyone recommend any good splitting mauls or methods to split logs? Got myself a good size piece to use as a base, but need to start breaking down some of my stash.

What diameter and up do people generally like to split their logs at to use in an open fireplace to maximise heat?

These are good stove top fans, really good customer service too

Would you say this does a particularly better job than the cheaper ones you can get on Amazon?

Regarding moisture meters, any recommendations? Cheap & cheerful?

Have got access to some broken pallets through work, should see far more of them through winter (busier time) but they'll have been used for loading plants on, so dirty and wet. Then discarded to the side of a loading yard left in the rain etc. I've been given the green light to some 'wrongly sized' ones to build a log store for myself from, but the guy also said welcome to any others to break up for woodfuel as all they do is burn them to get rid of them anyway! :o

Anyone recommend any good splitting mauls or methods to split logs? Got myself a good size piece to use as a base, but need to start breaking down some of my stash.

What diameter and up do people generally like to split their logs at to use in an open fireplace to maximise heat?
Sounds technical. Generally anything bigger than my fingers & thumbs circled I split. So anything bigger than around 6" diameter (I've got small hands).

Basically if they're too big to fit on my stove I hit them with my axe/maul until they're small enough to fit! ;)

Would you say this does a particularly better job than the cheaper ones you can get on Amazon?
It's a Sterling engine, so quite a lot more technical, far harder to produce (very mechanical), so far more expensive, but also loads more fun. Some of the ones with exposed engines are awesome! :D

The cheap amazon ones just use a heat exchanger to generate electric to power a fan. The sterling uses heat transfer to drive a piston that drives the fan.

Last edited:
Regarding moisture meters, any recommendations? Cheap & cheerful?

Have got access to some broken pallets through work, should see far more of them through winter (busier time) but they'll have been used for loading plants on, so dirty and wet. Then discarded to the side of a loading yard left in the rain etc. I've been given the green light to some 'wrongly sized' ones to build a log store for myself from, but the guy also said welcome to any others to break up for woodfuel as all they do is burn them to get rid of them anyway! :o

Sounds technical. Generally anything bigger than my fingers & thumbs circled I split. So anything bigger than around 6" diameter (I've got small hands).

Basically if they're too big to fit on my stove I hit them with my axe/maul until they're small enough to fit! ;)

It's a Sterling engine, so quite a lot more technical, far harder to produce (very mechanical), so far more expensive, but also loads more fun. Some of the ones with exposed engines are awesome! :D

The cheap amazon ones just use a heat exchanger to generate electric to power a fan. The sterling uses heat transfer to drive a piston that drives the fan.

Ah I didn't realise that it was a bit more 'mechanical'. They look quite cool don't they. Having looked at the clearance on the log burner we may have soon I'm not sure we could fit something as big as this above the burner though. I wonder if there are any low profile versions knocking about.

Ah I didn't realise that it was a bit more 'mechanical'. They look quite cool don't they. Having looked at the clearance on the log burner we may have soon I'm not sure we could fit something as big as this above the burner though. I wonder if there are any low profile versions knocking about.
One of the links above to the 'bay I found they did a 'dual fan' version from, looked quite low profile. Should be able to get height dimensions somewhere. Lots of cheapy options around there and the rainforest and I imagine they're much of a muchness when it comes to quality. They generally have to be metal/alloy to withstand the heat. The exchangers are just a hotplate design with really nothing to go wrong, 2 wires to the fans and then the fan motors are just cheap and probably easily replaceable, or if you could put your own bespoke metal frame together somehow to mount the fans.

Last edited:
Just in process of cutting down a Pine tree in front garden (loads of acorns on it)-It's only about 7-8ft high so trimmed off each branch -cut bits off but kept a few of the thicker branches. - Bought a very short handled lopper for this -what a cracking bit of kit
All I have to do now is cut trunk down -It's not big - probably 5-6" round so today got my electric chainsaw out to sharpen tips.

I never neglected my petrol ones like this one - I could hardley pull chain round so in end took side plate off and found the chain- adjuster and everything else covered in oil soaked sawdust - It looked like it was moulded around chain and cogs -Always wondered why chain didn't seem to have much oil on it.

Worst bit was the sap -just like resin (it probably is) stuck to everything -even got it in my hair.

Glad we did bulk of it yesterday as it's raining today.

Arada Holborn 5 Wide-screen has been delayed so been offered a Heta Inspire 45 instead. Anyone know if it's worth it? Or wait.

Sorry for not responding sooner, I have to say it’s the only fan I’ve had, I think we’ve had it over 6 years now its never had any issue until last year when the bearing went but they replaced it free of charge

Arada Holborn 5 Wide-screen has been delayed so been offered a Heta Inspire 45 instead. Anyone know if it's worth it? Or wait.

I have a Heta Inspire 45. Been in for just over 3 years, absolutely no issues. Can't comment on the Arada but depends how much you want that one I suppose.

I have a Heta Inspire 45. Been in for just over 3 years, absolutely no issues. Can't comment on the Arada but depends how much you want that one I suppose.
I actually prefer the more modern look of the Heta the wife prefers the more classic looks of the Arada. Spec wise the Heta looks to be a bit better with a higher efficiency.

All the building work is done just the fire and flue to go in now.

Guy mentioned oiling the slate to protect it and give a nicer finish.
Is baby oil okay my dad says it would be ideal even wd40 or olive oil.

Coming along nicely.

Its getting expensive as well, ordered a 6ft x 6ft woodstore, and a load of oak logs to fill it.

Last edited:
Hi guys, I currently have an open fire with a swept chimney. I also have a sealed chimney that hasn't been used for a fair while. What's the craic on getting a log burner fitted to where the chimney is blocked off? How much is a log burner?

Back
Top Bottom