Fire Thread! - Stoves, Wood, Axes, Chainsaws

All fitted, my god it's hot in the living room now.
Even on the lowest it's putting out an insane amount of heat. Wife loves it of course.
The oak I got is all saying 11% guessing that's plenty good enough.
Log store arrived today as well so got that to build at weekend.

Last edited:
So I regret getting nothing but oak, it's incredibly difficult to get going well.
Once we're down to half I'll get some birch as well.

The pallets it comes in is all split up as kindling a surprising amount as well so that's a bonus.

So I regret getting nothing but oak, it's incredibly difficult to get going well.
Once we're down to half I'll get some birch as well.

The pallets it comes in is all split up as kindling a surprising amount as well so that's a bonus.
Is your stove a wood burner or a multifuel one?

Ours is Multifuel, we use a bed of taybrite then wood on top. (Oak or hawthorn if I can get the latter)

Isn't it just? I made that rookie error last year.

This year I got 50% birch, use a birch to get going and oak goes on once established.

What are you using for fireflighters? I can recommend these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Natural-Eco-Wood-Firelighters-Kindling/dp/B07FF436N5/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_sspa?crid=2C3C92NQJTPUE&keywords=firelighters+for+wood+burners&qid=1669473983&sprefix=fireligh,aps,111&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9zZWFyY2hfYXRm&psc=1

Although tumble drier fluff and paper are pretty good too.

Last edited:
Isn't it just? I made that rookie error last year.

This year I got 50% birch, use a birch to get going and oak goes on once established.

What are you using for fireflighters? I can recommend these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Natural-Eco-Wood-Firelighters-Kindling/dp/B07FF436N5/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_sspa?crid=2C3C92NQJTPUE&keywords=firelighters+for+wood+burners&qid=1669473983&sprefix=fireligh,aps,111&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9zZWFyY2hfYXRm&psc=1

Although tumble drier fluff and paper are pretty good too.
Something very similar to those that I use for my pizza oven.

Blow torch works as well to get the kindling going.

Can you use the BBQ style firelighters, the white powder like blocks? Got a few of those as well.

I would suggest, in my limited experience, if you have a wood burner only, no. If you have a multifuel burner, I would imagine that would be ok.

I only use firelighters with a few sticks to light my stove - I dare say you could light the fire with just firelighters but I have never tried.

If you want a few sticks just use hand axe and chop corners off a log -providing the wood is thin it will burn.

PS -- I have just tried lighting my stove with just one firelighter -The white BBQ ones - I used one piece and two logs -The logs are rubbish sweet chestnut -They look great -all cut to same length and split straight but they are crap to burn -They are charcoal wood -its what they use to make charcoal and the ash they leave behind is unbelievable.
The firelighter did get them to glow but never came to flaming away so pulled top log off and put a few sticks under and it's roaring.

Those BBQ firelighters are 90p a box of 20 or £1.50 for 40. - I just buy them in summer while they are cheap and have about 15 boxes in shed.

There is a bloke up road who is selling bags of sticks for about £1.50 but it's easy to do your own - if you see a bit of wood on your travels just stop and pick it up or if in a skip stop and ask -Any old piece of dry timber will do the job.

Last edited:
Also popped into the local fireplace showroom and got a quote to install this into the kitchen

IMG-20221007-103850.jpg

Prices have definitely gone up and even I place the order now, his next installation slot is February !

Took a call from the showroom and there's a delay in getting the stove. Current estimate mid / end of Feb. Current install date 31st Jan. No guarantee on the delivery date :(

However after a five month wait he has had a few if these delivered

IMG20221121092609-01.jpg

Purevision 180 degree window and what a piece of (more expensive) kit

Can swap to this one (reserve that stove) and keep the install date, which we decided to do :)

Last edited:
Love the huge glass area on that one! Do you mind sharing what it cost?

EDIT: I only just realised the scale of it compared to the door behind it, that thing is huuuuge!

Last edited:
Thanks and yes, it's a good size !

Screenshot-2022-11-28-11-10-55-25-40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

The room it's going into will take / need it. The vaulted ceiling at its highest point is almost 5.5m

IMG-20220915-073850.jpg

CGI of the install

IMG-20220915-073850-01.jpg

It is expensive (around £2.5k for the stove alone) but has to be right as it's probably the most used room in the house :)

Last edited:
Took a call from the showroom and there's a delay in getting the stove. Current estimate mid / end of Feb. Current install date 31st Jan. No guarantee on the delivery date :(

However after a five month wait he has had a few if these delivered

Purevision 180 degree window and what a piece of (more expensive) kit

Can swap to this one (reserve that stove) and keep the install date, which we decided to do :)

Amazing stoves, only had chance to fit few due to the cost, but it does come with active baffle and multifuel. Just make sure you familiarise yourself with the active baffle, as only purevision stoves have these.

Heads up to nooby's - We had a wasp in house this morning so beware when you bring logs in and put them in log basket -the heat wakens hibernating wasps and they come out of hiding.

It was buzzing away behind bedroom blinds.

Amazing stoves, only had chance to fit few due to the cost, but it does come with active baffle and multifuel. Just make sure you familiarise yourself with the active baffle, as only purevision stoves have these.

Thanks and yes, they gave me a quick run through in the showroom but said they would walk me through once fitted

I now know who to ask if I get stuck too ;)

Cheers :D

Heads up to nooby's - We had a wasp in house this morning so beware when you bring logs in and put them in log basket -the heat wakens hibernating wasps and they come out of hiding.

It was buzzing away behind bedroom blinds.

Good shout - unusually get grief for bringing spiders and other creepy crawlies in with the logs :cry:

Back
Top Bottom