Fire Thread! - Stoves, Wood, Axes, Chainsaws

So i am in the market for a stove fan again as mine gave up the ghost last night (might have been as I was running it quite hot), but alas Amazon have said they will give me a refund if I send it back to them so i'm on the look out for a new one.

My current one is one of these dual fan jobbys:

It did a decent enough job but before I dive back in and order the same thing (or similar) I've spotted there are sellers with 4 blade versions and also sellers with 6 blade versions (mine was the 5) which got me thinking would one of those versions be any better?

I did originally think I needed something low profile but on reflection anything under 8inch/20cm tall will work. Any reccos or are they all much of a muchness?

So i am in the market for a stove fan again as mine gave up the ghost last night (might have been as I was running it quite hot), but alas Amazon have said they will give me a refund if I send it back to them so i'm on the look out for a new one.

My current one is one of these dual fan jobbys:

It did a decent enough job but before I dive back in and order the same thing (or similar) I've spotted there are sellers with 4 blade versions and also sellers with 6 blade versions (mine was the 5) which got me thinking would one of those versions be any better?

I did originally think I needed something low profile but on reflection anything under 8inch/20cm tall will work. Any reccos or are they all much of a muchness?
Sorry, just seen this

I have two of these on the lounge stove

NETTA 4 Blade Woodburner Stove Fan - Silent Operation - Eco Friendly Circulation - Efficient Heat Distribution - Ideal Log Burner Fan and Woodburner Fireplace Fan - Black https://amzn.eu/d/79vuFHX

Reasonable price and good quality - just a shade over 20cm though

I've recently moved into a new property with a couple of fireplaces. I've just had a chimney inspector round to check them out, and he says they're good to be used, which I'm very excited about!

I'm in a smokeless zone. What's the best smokeless fuel to burn? I'm more keen on wood than coal, unless the price difference is astronomical. Thanks!

Bit of a pain with our installation, for the fitters back because the slate hearth has cracked and the sides have come loose from the chimney wall.

They're blaming the floor, which is a suspended wooden floor.
They're telling my wife that I will have to go under the floor to fix the slight bounce in the floor.

In my mind they should have brought this up at the beginning and quoted to reflect any work or simply tell us why they can't fit it.

I don't even know how to sort that out, I'm 99% sure the joists are directly on brick work so no wedges to tighten up.

Last edited:
Surely the onus is on them to check these things first, and as you say report to you with any problems found.
Exactly and the floor is no more bouncy than any other suspended timber floor I have ever seen.

I will go under and have a quick look if there are wedges that I can tighten up but other than that it's not really my problem is it, if everything is tight it's correct.

Doesn't sound right

And assume you haven't been walking / putting any other weight on the hearth?
No, at most one of the children night have stood on it.
I'm home now, and it's all been removed the majority of the fire place is concrete underneath, I presume a concrete slab sat on the walls underneath the house.
The slate does overlap onto the floor boards which do move so I'll take a look at them.

Another issue they say is we just be burning incorrectly as the flue is really dirty all the way up.
I've used a mix of oak below 20% and these

99% of the time with the vent fully open. Those nestros split in half.
So what could be wrong?

I was going to say the majority of the hearth should have a solid concrete slab / base underneath

The flue is nothing to do with the hearth and unrelated and sounds like a diversion tactic

How thick is your slate hearth?

I was going to say the majority of the hearth should have a solid concrete slab / base underneath

The flue is nothing to do with the hearth and unrelated and sounds like a diversion tactic

How thick is your slate hearth?
Think it's about 20mm don't have one at the minute they're coming back after a week to fit it all again.

The flue was more an observation that it shouldn't be that dirty?
I have no idea it's been hammered since we had it fitted 2m3 of oak and a quarter pallet of beech heat logs gone through it, on most days during winter all day.

Hi chaps, I asked a little while ago but seeing if I get any new guidance. I have 4 spare 2.7m 100x100 posts which I plan to use as the basis for a log store. I'm thinking 1.6m length, chopping 2 of the posts in half means I can get my corners. That leaves me with 2x 1.1m off cuts which maybe I can cut in half and use as side top and bottom (500mm ea).

That means I just need 2 more 1.6 lengths and I have the basic frame. Maybe I'll need to get another post for centre support.

I was thinking a "living lid" with moss. I have some spare gravel boards I could use as a base for the lid, frame it square and fill with goodness.

Then rip some other gravel boards for the sides/back/bottom.

Thoughts? I know 100x100 fence posts are OTT but given I have 4 spare and only need maybe 3 more

New toy

IMG20230416125847-01.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom