IMG20230211090814-01.jpg

Introduced them to the maul

Then stacked them back in their bay

IMG20230211102544-01.jpg

IMG20230211102552-01.jpg

One bay and a big old stack under the builders bags to go

IMG20230211102609-01.jpg

Another 2 or 3 sessions should see it done

Came in and the Mrs had taken the liberty of lighting the kitchen burner .....

IMG20230211103328-01.jpg

Whatever it is on them that look tells you to not sleep too deeply if you want to keep your face.

Where would you chaps start w.r.t replacing an old open fire with a log burner?

Pics:
ffyKBQX.jpg

i8xe5oz.jpg

The chimney was swept and the fire is in use; it works pretty well. I am thinking I...
* Take down the white bricks/mantle
* Lift up the hearth slabs
* Pull the fire out
* Pay a man?

How much more could I do? Can you get the hearth slabs cheap enough? Or am I having my hands mostly tied due to regs etc?

Pics:
ffyKBQX.jpg

i8xe5oz.jpg

The chimney was swept and the fire is in use; it works pretty well. I am thinking I...
* Pull the fire out
* Pay a man?

How much more could I do? Can you get the hearth slabs cheap enough? Or am I having my hands mostly tied due to regs etc?

Although the chimney is working it may need lining with a stainless flue liner.

Removing the bricks / opening the chamber and the hearth should be pretty straightforward. Although depending on what they're made of (non combustible) will depend how far away the burner needs to be.

You can have up to a 5kw burner without an air brick (which you may already have)

Id get a man in to take a look and give you some advice. Any burner / flue install will have to be HETAS approved / certified

* Pull the fire out
* Pay a man?

Under hetas we can fit into a finished fireplace, we only really commission the stove and flue. So you or someone else can do the knockout, lintel, hearth, interior chamber, beam etc. Providing it meets building regs, and the stoves requirements.

Log burners were designed with cats in mind so they can lay there and keep warm.
Disputed!

OBYxpGP.jpg NVALhG3.jpg

Over Xmas ventured to the 'rents and took some toys

fm7Raaq.jpg Pkksz9V.jpg YNZKJGd.jpg

Mostly stuff that's been outside under cover, so wasn't intending on burning it... But then as the cold weather just seems to have hung around we did. And nearly ran out! So paid far too much money for another bag of 'hardwood block offcuts' from local sawmill to tide us through, hopefully with the vast majority stored until next winter...! Very good stuff but wow prices have gone up.

suvfRxE.jpg souJnXk.jpg

Also bought myself another toy and kinda fallen in love with it. Amazing axe and exactly what I wanted! Great at chopping, light enough to do kindling easily, but also to carry with the saw rather than the useless hatchet or heavy maul :D

w2j4TWy.jpg

Also surprising how much work to split up a wooden pallet or two... I've built up a bit of a 'stock' of them as some became available from work. Then 2 more from deliveries and I realised I had 9 pallets stacked up! I'd only grabbed a couple to knock together a wood store (sides/base) so probably only need 3-4. So grabbed the x17 and knocked 2 of the worst apart and cut them to stove size rather than using the saw (working out some aggression!) and taking out most the nails. Took me about 3 hours! Probably 2 longer than expected! But even the rubbish softwood they make pallets from, 2 of them gave us over 2 weeks of firewood (but we didn't burn every day). Around the same amount of time it took my arms to recover...! :D

Last edited:
Sorted out yesterday's delivery

IMG20230303152343-01.jpg

The middle store (and remaining seasoned wood) was bagged up and cleared out

IMG20230304110341-01.jpg

IMG20230304114517-01.jpg

New delivery transfers into the store

IMG20230304114508-01.jpg

IMG20230304114513-01.jpg

Was still a few wheelbarrow loads left so stacked them in the little store on the front veranda

IMG20230304121557-01.jpg

Was a small pile of scraggly bits land thin splits eft over

IMG20230304121659-01.jpg

Which produced a barrow full.of kindling

IMG20230304123002-01.jpg

All ready for winter, er, spring :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom