Fire Thread! - Stoves, Wood, Axes, Chainsaws

bought the slate .. expensive ouch .. placed it myself and it's a 8kw .. lol door to the room was removed after 2 days .. but heats the whole house .. use coal over night to keep the chill out ..
Me again chap,

what width is your opening?

I have 66cm available unless I start cutting brick - which isn't an issue but I'd like to know what I am aiming for!

Me again chap,

what width is your opening?

I have 66cm available unless I start cutting brick - which isn't an issue but I'd like to know what I am aiming for!
just short of 3.5ft .. it's better to have some room next to the fire for air movement..
edit .. 100cm just measured it .. i'd loose another one each side but up to you ..
but get that second lintel in before you do to take the weight ;)

Last edited:
As #WinterIsComing :P

Decided to do a bit of sorting / checking

The oldest batch of home seasoned (December last year) timber is in good sun (when it's out)

1000032568-01.jpg

So gave it a random moisture test

1000032570-01.jpg

1000032571-01.jpg

Should be more than ok to burn this winter

The other store / logs are a few months behind

And a little more sheltered from direct sun

1000032573-01.jpg

1000032577-01.jpg

Not too bad but can be left until next winter if not the winter after

Was pleasantly surprised with what was left of the last bought (seasoned) load

1000032654-01.jpg

Dragged it round / up onto the front porch into the little store where it's quick and easy to get to

1000032668-01.jpg

And took the opportunity for a sit down and appreciate the view :)

1000032656-01.jpg

As #WinterIsComing :p

Decided to do a bit of sorting / checking

The oldest batch of home seasoned (December last year) timber is in good sun (when it's out)

1000032568-01.jpg

So gave it a random moisture test

1000032570-01.jpg

1000032571-01.jpg

Should be more than ok to burn this winter

The other store / logs are a few months behind

And a little more sheltered from direct sun

1000032573-01.jpg

1000032577-01.jpg

Not too bad but can be left until next winter if not the winter after

Was pleasantly surprised with what was left of the last bought (seasoned) load

1000032654-01.jpg

Dragged it round / up onto the front porch into the little store where it's quick and easy to get to

1000032668-01.jpg

And took the opportunity for a sit down and appreciate the view :)

1000032656-01.jpg
sorry but thats not how you do it .. split some wood take a reading off the split middle .. just saying :)

Having watched a handful of videos, I'm not sure I've got it in me to install this absolute steal of a Facebook gallery fire (£100!).

Seems the pros use fireproof rope, cut the fireback in two, and vermiculite and all sorts of other wonders I just don't have the time to learn!

iq7JQs2.jpg

y1EwZXh.jpg

Edit: On second thoughts, going to do this myself I think.

Last edited:
Chaps,

Had a few mins today so ripped down another gravel board and completed the top layer.

The original plan was to do a living roof but I don't really have anywhere for dirty water to drain to (assuming it picks up soil on the way through). I'll probably just do featheredge.

Any thoughts before I go too far?

PIkhy6a.jpg

Looks good mate - chunky and sturdy

I did toy with a living roof at one point, but similar concerns with where does the water go and water proofing it so it doesn't leak into / on to the logs

Feather edge is fine :)

Looks good mate - chunky and sturdy

I did toy with a living roof at one point, but similar concerns with where does the water go and water proofing it so it doesn't leak into / on to the logs

Feather edge is fine :)
Yeah you definitely wouldn't spec one like this! But the 100mm posts were leftovers, and the cross members were 75mm posts I got 6 of for 20 quid. The gravel boards were the excess from ripping down 3m boards when they ran out of 1.8's and sold me 3s.

I think I might go back to my original fence project and replace that small fence before I go too far and its immoveable :cry:

Coal delivery ready for winter. I mean obviously since ordering it and a new bar and chain for the old Stihl 025 we've progressed into a heat wave ........ :rolleyes:

Having watched a handful of videos, I'm not sure I've got it in me to install this absolute steal of a Facebook gallery fire (£100!).

Seems the pros use fireproof rope, cut the fireback in two, and vermiculite and all sorts of other wonders I just don't have the time to learn!

iq7JQs2.jpg

y1EwZXh.jpg

Edit: On second thoughts, going to do this myself I think.
why would you put that in ?? so inefficent .. thought you were going multifuel burner ?

why would you put that in ?? so inefficent .. thought you were going multifuel burner ?
Cost mainly - this was £370 fitted (I just paid a stone mason 270 quid to fit it :D). The log burner was £2.5k for a first fix...£3.5k for a second fix. And to be honest, with my other changes (100mm under floor insulation etc) I didn't need function.

W4iz8o3.jpg

rAs92W5.jpg

Is it worth putting some felt on a log store, top logs always get dripped on at the minute.

Is it worth putting some felt on a log store, top logs always get dripped on at the minute.

If you can bare how it looks, clear corrugated PVC sheets is better for wood stores as it lets sunlight in which not only lets you see inside it but also helps season the wood better as the light can get in. You only need the cheap thin stuff rather than the more expensive thicker material.

If you can bare how it looks, clear corrugated PVC sheets is better for wood stores as it lets sunlight in which not only lets you see inside it but also helps season the wood better as the light can get in. You only need the cheap thin stuff rather than the more expensive thicker material.
It would only be on the roof, so you can't see through it anyway.

whats light got to do with it ? it's all about airflow ,

It would only be on the roof, so you can't see through it anyway.

It lets light in so you can see the contents of the store better...

whats light got to do with it ? it's all about airflow ,

Airflow is the important factor I agree but sunlight also helps in the process of seasoning wood. If you have the option to help it along, why not? PVC is cheap and not heavy so no particular construction is required for it. For example, one of my wood stores -

embed

Bright and airy.

It lets light in so you can see the contents of the store better...

Airflow is the important factor I agree but sunlight also helps in the process of seasoning wood. If you have the option to help it along, why not? PVC is cheap and not heavy so no particular construction is required for it. For example, one of my wood stores -

embed

Bright and airy.
i'm sorry ... but light has nothing to do with it .. heat and air flow .. you can dry in the dark as long as theres airflow and heat ... or do you shine a light in your tumble dryer ? .. so with felt on the top ..ie: black retains and absorbs heat it will be like an oven ..

Back
Top Bottom