Fire Thread! - Stoves, Wood, Axes, Chainsaws

Finally find somewhere local for logs

2.19m3 (3 X bags) for £315 delivered so a bit cheaper than other places like luxury logs.

Just ordered a pack of 12 just to try them - There are a lot of others for sale - some soft wood and others hard wood and bit's in between.
Do they contain any chemicals to make them burn (not bothered just asking) - do they use any glue to hold them together or can you rub them between your hands and they fall apart?

These sort of things could be handy when neither of us can hump logs and stack them or bring load in to burn.
These are the best heatlogs I've found.

There absolutely solid as well, not come across another that's as compressed you can't break them by hand.

Might give the HotBlocks ago as i also use an RUF block for helping getting the fire going.

This comparison of various fuels is handy.

Last edited:
We had a chilly night the other night so got two of these wood blocks and tried them out - Have to say I was a bit dissapointed - I expected super heat when in fact they just managed to get the fans turning.
Do they need a good base of hot embers to get going.
Got 10 left so will wait a bit longer till we really need a fire and try again.

To be honest it was like burning wood chip - The woodchip they made 8x4 panels with - used to get that stuff all the time and it was good for keeping a lot of heat in stove without using logs - but I did have loads of it so just threw it on. It was all free by the way.

Chaps - log store; I've noticed the 100x100 posts are wet as sin at the bottom. Is there any recommendation for "feet" you can get for these so it lasts forever?

We had a chilly night the other night so got two of these wood blocks and tried them out - Have to say I was a bit dissapointed - I expected super heat when in fact they just managed to get the fans turning.
Do they need a good base of hot embers to get going.
Got 10 left so will wait a bit longer till we really need a fire and try again.

To be honest it was like burning wood chip - The woodchip they made 8x4 panels with - used to get that stuff all the time and it was good for keeping a lot of heat in stove without using logs - but I did have loads of it so just threw it on. It was all free by the way.
I tend to start off with 4 hot blocks on a bed of kindling then top up when necessary, and they produce enough heat to keep the house and me toasty.
I’ve another tonne arriving next week.

Last edited:
Chaps - log store; I've noticed the 100x100 posts are wet as sin at the bottom. Is there any recommendation for "feet" you can get for these so it lasts forever?
Get some of those round plastic or rubber door stops and screw them on botton - or just lever it up and push two under each upright.

You need the gap underneath for air flow.

960KG of Hotblocks delivered today.

03HIUZt.jpg

Unfortunately the pallet they were on decided it didn't want to be a pallet anymore and we just about managed to get them off the truck, but they were stuck halfway into the lane.
Luckily enough the farm is a few seconds away, so I got the farmer to shunt them onto my driveway..

56EGA2s.jpg

All stacked and ready to give me a couple of years of heat..

b7VYyjS.jpg

So I just bit and bought 960kg of hot blocks to supplement the 2m3 of wood we have. Now I just need to store them somewhere
£460 .. hmm not a bad price .. prob get what 160 days of heating out of that ? the one thing i do worry about is the heat you could never put more than one in .. and if you have a cheap wood burner you could possibly warp the thing .. but will get a few and see what there like

Eh?
I put 4 or 5 in at a time and have used them for years.
If you buy 2nds they charge £389.
4 or 5 you must have a large stove or the heatlogs are very small.
The ruf ones I use can only fit 2 in maybe 3 at most in a 5kw stove.

I've just had 2m3 of Ash delivered so that's the store full.
Probably get some of the beech nestro heat logs as well.

True but the ones I have bought in the past have alway had a couple of not quite complete ones in so I more wanted to see how bad the seconds were

True but the ones I have bought in the past have alway had a couple of not quite complete ones in so I more wanted to see how bad the seconds were
I’ve had 4 x 960kgs of seconds and a few have been a bit crumbly around the edges, but as I’m burning them and not looking at them, then no biggie.

Back
Top Bottom