Fire Thread! - Stoves, Wood, Axes, Chainsaws

i'm sorry ... but light has nothing to do with it .. heat and air flow .. you can dry in the dark as long as theres airflow and heat ... or do you shine a light in your tumble dryer ? .. so with felt on the top ..ie: black retains and absorbs heat it will be like an oven ..
What's hotter, a green house or a shed? :D

i'm sorry ... but light has nothing to do with it .. heat and air flow .. you can dry in the dark as long as theres airflow and heat ... or do you shine a light in your tumble dryer ? .. so with felt on the top ..ie: black retains and absorbs heat it will be like an oven ..

Instead of facetiously arguing, google it. Sunlight helps season wood but we can agree that it's not the primary method, far from it; nor is putting your wood in a tumble dryer (with or without a light).

At a lose end post work so threw the cheapo featheredge boards on as a roof.

tuLjT4C.jpg

Ignore the mess.......and the 3ft overhang lol. Ran out of light.

Do I need to cover the sides and the back? The offcuts of the roof could cover the sides?

At a lose end post work so threw the cheapo featheredge boards on as a roof.

tuLjT4C.jpg

Ignore the mess.......and the 3ft overhang lol. Ran out of light.

Do I need to cover the sides and the back? The offcuts of the roof could cover the sides?
Yay ! Looking good mate :)

Back and sides id do (if you have the offcuts and inclination) "hit and miss" failing that leave every other out to allow airflow in / through the store

i'm looking at that gate ... sand it seal it ..make it shine :)
Unfortunately its just a tick passed being recoverable - if only I'd bought the house 2 years earlier (and £110k cheaper :(). I'll be building a new one next year; as well as replacing the fence. The posts are good, and I have bought a new 100m fence post to be the "top" bit, but the gates themselves are full of holes.

Front porch is sage green so the gates will be painted sage with black iron mongery I think.

Hi guys,

Just wondering if many of yourselves have had experience with briquettes in the log burner? For the past 2 years I’ve just got hardwood logs etc delivered local, however just wondering if these briquettes (such as hotties etc) are better value?

Hi guys,

Just wondering if many of yourselves have had experience with briquettes in the log burner? For the past 2 years I’ve just got hardwood logs etc delivered local, however just wondering if these briquettes (such as hotties etc) are better value?
i've seen a few with pallets of the stuff .. not a bad price .. they do burn a little hotter ..and some expand .. just need to be careful

Hi guys,

I've been using them for years and can't fault them.
See posts #761 onwards as a few on here use them.

Been using the briquettes last couple of years. They are not bad, although I find them a bit messy, you tend to get small bits coming off when you lift them into the fire. I mean i suppose you get that with logs too but not to the same extent. I need to hoover round the fire more often. Also you can't really store them outside for too long as they will get wet and start to expand and break apart. I have some that are left over from last winter and they are looking in a bit of a poor state by now. I'm sure they will still burn though so meh.

Positives are they are easier to stack, you can light them without kindling and I think they burn hotter. They last longer aswell. If you rake though the ashes in the morning there are still embers and you can generally get it to re light.

Hah did previous occupants make 110k without even renovating the house? Nice earner if you can get it
Na not quite - neighbours just paid £740 for theirs versus £860 for mine (so 120 less). Only difference? 18 months and some minor bits and pieces (they don't have a 13m workshop). Theirs was also in a pretty decent state inside and out. I made £75k on the one I sold in the same timeframe though, so subtract that bubble effect means I paid net £45k "real money" more than they did.... but I think the 13m workshop definitely offsets that (legit Browns of Wem outbuilding).

Last edited:
Collecting 4 tonnes of ash Sunday morning from a friend (land manager) of my parents for practically free (£200) including the use of his trailer.
Unfortunately i'm running out of space to store it (i've got 1T+ of hot blocks/ 750kg coal, and the log store at the top of the garden is brimmed with pear wood.
Theres some space in one log store and i've cleared out the space next to it which had a bench overlooking the garden that was unused, so i cleared it out in readiness..

tooRCqX.jpg

There was loads of sawdust/rotting wood in there and when clearing it out I found a few Stag beetle grubs, which have now been relocated to other parts of the garden to continue their feast

O5wzzVH.jpg

Well the rains have started and the sheer volume is causing "splash back" on the main log store I built earlier in the year

1000036548-01.jpg

You can see the damp log ends and how it's at the bottom of the uprights

1000036549-01.jpg

I've ordered some guttering to do a "proper job" but managed to cobble together a Heath Robinson solution with garage treasure in the meantime

1000036550-01.jpg

Back
Top Bottom