Fire Thread! - Stoves, Wood, Axes, Chainsaws

Cheers for that, I was thinking along similar lines I was also thinking they were a bit easier to get going than hard wood so it would encourage us to use the fire more

so whats your daily use ? 20-30 ?? thats 40 days .. @30 £12 a day ...
My good god, nothing like that :cry:
If it's really really cold, then maybe 10 during the day (or none if I'm working), then top up with coal overnight.
That said, I live in an old fairly small cottage, which doesn't take much to heat.

Chaps,

Any thoughts on this mess? I am thinking to take out the open fire and "first fix" my own log burner. Am I mad? I assume as long as "chimney goes up" I won't die?

f0Dha7k.jpg

I guess the half bricks were added to "pad out" the builders opening; they aren't supporting the brick lintel. If I open that out I get a 600mm gap which is enough for a 4kw burner.

I can't actually find a log burner for sale though, oddly enough!

Chaps,

Any thoughts on this mess? I am thinking to take out the open fire and "first fix" my own log burner. Am I mad? I assume as long as "chimney goes up" I won't die?

I guess the half bricks were added to "pad out" the builders opening; they aren't supporting the brick lintel. If I open that out I get a 600mm gap which is enough for a 4kw burner.

I can't actually find a log burner for sale though, oddly enough!
you can take out the half bricks and return it to the original opening. You can also reduce the 13" pillars to 9" if you want to gain more than 600mm, but this would obviously need a new lintel

you can take out the half bricks and return it to the original opening. You can also reduce the 13" pillars to 9" if you want to gain more than 600mm, but this would obviously need a new lintel
Thanks - ideally I want to retain the current "lintel". Is fitting a log burner as simple as throwing one in or do I really need to line the chimney etc etc etc? The lad wants 2.5k for first fix...

Thanks - ideally I want to retain the current "lintel". Is fitting a log burner as simple as throwing one in or do I really need to line the chimney etc etc etc? The lad wants 2.5k for first fix...
theres a few angles to this,
1st is safety. without the liner you rely on the chimneys integrity. Under HETAS we have to prove the chimney is suitable for no liner. I assume the house is pre-war due to its construction, so it will likely fail the tests.

2nd is guarantees, no HETAS usually no guarantee on the stove/flue

3rd is performance, the stove is typically better on a liner

I have done the same thing and wished I had opened the hole by at least a brick each side' My 4kw stove is 400mm so it doesn't leave much room and from previous experience I know how hot the walls can get.

My answer was to have a steel box made about 30mm smaller than the hole - I worked out where the flue would go and had that cut - I then had angle iron welded all round face edge so when box was pushed in it created a neat edge all round box after plastering - I then filled gap around box and walls with vermiculite. - Had a SS bracket made to go on top to take flue fitting then filled void with verm/cement mix and there you are - nice inset fire surround that absorbs the heat.

What could ever go wrong ???????

Stupid builders put round 8" flues in upside down and 18 month's later we had the dreaded black tar running down lounge wall - So out it all came - went higher with the opening because of the bend of flue - Lined it this time and so far 13 yrs later it's still going strong/

Just shout if you want pictures.

PS - mine is set in are you putting it in front ??

take what you need out then another brick .. did my brick work myself .. bought the stove and liner .. had a hetas guy install it .. £600 3 yrs ago .. whats the size of the room it's going in ? i put a 8kw stove in heats the whole house once it's hot just put a log on at a time ..

I've used lekto heat logs. Found them really good (tried a lot of different brands/types) I've only got a small burner so generally use half a log at a time. Go through 3 or 4 in an evening. Do sometimes chuck hardwood logs in aswell.

yeah problem round here with wood ..is you can't just cut it down :p .. got 10 tonne for £650 ish .. no bags .. will be dry for end of oct .. :) thats 5x 1m3 should last till march :) if not coal as back up and nights :)
I got loads from a garden clearance, and also a lot of building timber from some local houses when they had new floors put in.

Back
Top Bottom