Fire Thread! - Stoves, Wood, Axes, Chainsaws

how often do you need to get the chimney swept? Currently buying a house and its never been mentioned.

Reset the gutter as it was slightly down in the middle and now flowing freely then added the downpipe

1000037275-01.jpg

Will get another angle to "kick" towards the gulley

1000037274-01.jpg

The area is on a slope and graded towards the gulley anyway so should be ok so long as.pointing in the general direction

Pots and incinerator back in place you can hardly see it

1000037277-01.jpg

Anyone got any recommendations for a chainsaw. I’ve got some pallets and a lot of off bits of timber that need cutting up and I’m unsure whether to go electric, battery and what size? Budget is only around £100, I’ve tried a 4” battery handheld and while good it made quite hard work of some thicker bits of wood.

I’ll have a read of this thread that I did t know existed but it’s a good read!

My Makita one is very good, electric are nice as they are nice and quiet. If you have the batteries I would go this way.

Anyone got any recommendations for a chainsaw. I’ve got some pallets and a lot of off bits of timber that need cutting up and I’m unsure whether to go electric, battery and what size? Budget is only around £100, I’ve tried a 4” battery handheld and while good it made quite hard work of some thicker bits of wood.

I’ll have a read of this thread that I did t know existed but it’s a good read!
For pallets you are better off with a manual pallet breaker. They are typically full of nails and hitting them will rapidly blunt your chainsaw blades.

Has anyone got a lead on a stove fan that will work with an open fire? I'll do some Amazon'ing later.

MgkbZgF.jpg

The granite got quite warm when I used the fire Monday, and the front bars get molten. Not sure how they work in terms of heat transfer - does it need to be contact heat, or do they work just sat in front of something hot? Perhaps one that clamps to the front grill would work well? Or is it stupid and it'd just pull smoke into the house?

Last edited:
Has anyone got a lead on a stove fan that will work with an open fire? I'll do some Amazon'ing later.

MgkbZgF.jpg

The granite got quite warm when I used the fire Monday, and the front bars get molten. Not sure how they work in terms of heat transfer - does it need to be contact heat, or do they work just sat in front of something hot? Perhaps one that clamps to the front grill would work well? Or is it stupid and it'd just pull smoke into the house?
The log burner ones work off contact / peltier - not seen one for open fires ....

That's the word I was looking for! I can see some come with jubilee clips to attach to chimneys, so maybe I can try attaching it to the front grill. It far enough from smoke but gets super hot, so perhaps it'll work...

Yeah. Most of the hackzall and sawzall saws with a general blade in will work wonders.

Back
Top Bottom