Fire Thread! - Stoves, Wood, Axes, Chainsaws

Had 24 of those Hotblocks delivered yesterday - Also got a load of logs coming Friday if it isn't raining - The picture of the load further back in post I had last year that cost £120 is now £140.

Might convert to heating oil stoves :rolleyes:

Yeah. Most of the hackzall and sawzall saws with a general blade in will work wonders.
I highly recommend them instead of chainsaws for chopping small trees and shrubs close to ground level as well.

I destroyed a chain and dinged up the bar on my MS 231 a couple of years ago doing this and replacing them cost 15-20 times that of a 6” saw blade.

Anyone got any recommendations for a chainsaw. I’ve got some pallets and a lot of off bits of timber that need cutting up and I’m unsure whether to go electric, battery and what size? Budget is only around £100, I’ve tried a 4” battery handheld and while good it made quite hard work of some thicker bits of wood.

I’ll have a read of this thread that I did t know existed but it’s a good read!

Having been through about six or seven petrol engined chainsaws, mainly "bargain" priced until I saw the light, I can honestly say it's a toss up between Stihl and Husqvarna. Stihl has more cheap copy parts available, some good, some terrible. Husqvarna seems their equal quality wise, but far less copy parts. Don't buy a used chainsaw unless it is totally complete and you budget for a full engine rebuild, a new clutch assembly and a new bar and chain, they're almost invariably knackered. If the main plastic saddle that holds everything together and forms the fuel and bar oiling tank is damaged walk away, they are very dear to replace and makes a repair not cost effective.

I just did an end of summer full engine rebuild on my Stihl MS390. New cylinder, piston, carb and clutch, will need another new bar if it gets much work over the winter. But it gets worked hard and long. What you probably need is one of the reall small arborist chain saws, but someone told you need a bloody CS30 qualification to buy them. God knows how true that is, but you rarely see them advertised. I guess I'll find out soon as I fancy one! You'll be needing a licence to push a bloody wheelbarrow soon.

Back in blighty and decided to whack both burners on them settle down with a brew and try not to nod off before 8 :D

1000039368-01.jpg

1000039367-01.jpg

Anyone got any recommendations for a chainsaw. I’ve got some pallets and a lot of off bits of timber that need cutting up and I’m unsure whether to go electric, battery and what size? Budget is only around £100, I’ve tried a 4” battery handheld and while good it made quite hard work of some thicker bits of wood.

I’ll have a read of this thread that I did t know existed but it’s a good read!

I have a cheap "Parker Brand" petrol which is more than man enough fory home use but also purchased a DeWalt battery powered which I am very pleasantly surprised with - the only "downsides" are it drinks oil and chews through batteries !!

Since having chimney swept in summer I have recently lit 3 fires -First two were a bit slugish but last nights didn't go at all - As soon as I shut door it went out.
I had noticed when driving up drive the chimney cowl looked as though it had slid down the chimney slightly (it fits on outside of chimney pot) so reducing gap for smoke to escape -Rang the sweep this morning but no answer so thought here we go - on roof again.
Wife was not too happy with a 79 yr old walking along ridge tile but it had to be done -
Climbed ladder to garage roof and that was a scary time and walking up tiles to top of roof (Bungalow) was no better.
I crawled along ridge tiles -no way could I stand up and walk along like I used to.
Anyway got there and found when sweep cleaned it and his rods went out of flue it managed to push out the collar that sits in top of SS flue pipe -it was sitting at a angle on top of flue pipe and resting against top of cowl - Quick prod with screwdriver and it dropped back in place.
Something I must look for next year when he has finished.
Good job done. - Never again.:rolleyes:

Two days off work so pottering about doing whatever so took myself off into the garage and got comfy

1000039437-01.jpg

Had a selection of off it's, bits of splits and stuff from the garden id collected over the course of the year and processed it all into kindling

1000039444-01.jpg

Cleaned out the ash pans and stacked both burners for the next round of lighting ...

1000039446-01.jpg

1000039445-01.jpg

Most of my kindling cones from pallets from work. Broke about 5 down for this winter, still got another in the garage.
The blocks aren't bad either they only last about 30 minutes but it's free at the end of the day.

Cheers guys, I was thinking a jigsaw might work well. Besides the obvious what’s the issue with using pallets that are non heat treated? I do have a mixture.

New to the log burner world since moving, can I burn coal in it as a base layer? I’ve had mixed opinions about needing the chimney swept as well, is it worth doing yearly either way?

Cheers guys, I was thinking a jigsaw might work well. Besides the obvious what’s the issue with using pallets that are non heat treated? I do have a mixture.

New to the log burner world since moving, can I burn coal in it as a base layer? I’ve had mixed opinions about needing the chimney swept as well, is it worth doing yearly either way?

If they are preservative / paint treated then the risk is carcinogenic fumes and / or build up in your flue / flue fires

You can use coal IF it's a dual fuel burner and I would suggest a yearly flue sweep, more often if you are hammering it, using non-seasoned timber and /or treated timber

Whilst not legally enforced over here, you’re supposed to have your chimneys cleaned annually. You can do it yourself, but insurance companies will dispute any claim related to a chimney fire that wasn’t professionally cleaned within the last 12 months.

I use a local fireplace installers to clean my 3 chimneys and their sweeps are very professional, leaving the place spotlessly clean.

I did have it cleaned professionaly but his brush pushed the SS flexiflue sleeve out that you put in top of flue when it's installed - it was sitting at a angle on top of flue against the cowel -- Did say that in my thread above. :)

Picked up some Newflame smokeless coal on offer at £4 for 10kg.

Slower to get going than the wood but once it's up and running, half a bag lasted most of the day and into mid evening, with the odd poke to keep the air going under it.

Sure is better than some smokeless coal I tried last winter, which was atrocious as I just couldn't get it up to a decent temperature.
Thought I must be using it wrong ( lighting and vent controls etc.) but this new stuff is so much better with the same controls.
Got my stack of wood so may alternate and use that if I just want a quick blast for a few hours.

Not one for working out exact costs comparing to wood etc. but it doesn't appear to bad on the wallet.

Picked up some Newflame smokeless coal on offer at £4 for 10kg.

Slower to get going than the wood but once it's up and running, half a bag lasted most of the day and into mid evening, with the odd poke to keep the air going under it.

Sure is better than some smokeless coal I tried last winter, which was atrocious as I just couldn't get it up to a decent temperature.
Thought I must be using it wrong ( lighting and vent controls etc.) but this new stuff is so much better with the same controls.
Got my stack of wood so may alternate and use that if I just want a quick blast for a few hours.

Not one for working out exact costs comparing to wood etc. but it doesn't appear to bad on the wallet.
This seems quite cheap, where did you pick it up from?

Back
Top Bottom