Fire Thread! - Stoves, Wood, Axes, Chainsaws

Does anyone have any knowledge/thoughts on flue dampers?

We have this stove, and I wonder if we lose too much heat up the chimney. It's a decently tall chimney so always got a good draw.

Once up to temperature I feel like logs still burn fairly fast even with air controls dimmed down (primary fully closed, airwash medium-low and the secondary (holes at the back) set low). I don't like to set the airwash too low, to avoid any incomplete combustion. Just wondering if a flue damper is a useful tool for an eco stove, or if it's old hat.

Tried the heat blocks tonight.

this is my stove with Lidl block (round) and hot block next to it on right - the others are size of logs I can take.

cVHmHi4l.jpg

This is a nice bed of fire to put them on

FpOzNwIl.jpg

Loaded up

qYhCOj9l.jpg

Just started to catch

Sv10CJrl.jpg

Going well

kU7K1Dvl.jpg

One hour later and its quite hot

9frTeMyl.jpg

Two hours later and Ronnie has had to back off,

YkfqTaLl.jpg

Half hour later and just have soft burnt ash but still looks like blocks.

UCZ1NKpl.jpg

Not sure what to think -Blocks burn well and give off the heat - I think a long term of trying and recording results of both blocks and logs is needed.

Only thing that I can comment on is the blocks are a dam sight heavier than logs. I can pile a load of logs on my arm but three of these are quite heavy for me -old with weak arms and hands.
Also noticed from other few I have used is there is very little ash compared to the crap sweet chestnut logs I am using.

Does anyone have any knowledge/thoughts on flue dampers?

We have this stove, and I wonder if we lose too much heat up the chimney. It's a decently tall chimney so always got a good draw.

Once up to temperature I feel like logs still burn fairly fast even with air controls dimmed down (primary fully closed, airwash medium-low and the secondary (holes at the back) set low). I don't like to set the airwash too low, to avoid any incomplete combustion. Just wondering if a flue damper is a useful tool for an eco stove, or if it's old hat.
As far as I know they're against the new regulations aren't they in that they reduce the stove below it's minimum.
It would be the same as reviving the restrictor wouldn't it.
My Heta only has a single control, which is restricted to a minimum of about 20%. So it's not possible to burn really slow with it at all.

Last edited:
The KPI of any fire is how far away the cat settles once the fire is at full output. Don’t use a dog for this data as I’ve owned one that would actually allow himself to start smouldering, the daft lump.
Ha.
Years ago before I left home (1972) we had a English bull terrier -White with black dot on her face - We had open fires and unlimited free coke (as in the burning stuff) - She would lay on floor with her nose touching grate - she could be burning her nose and stinking hot and you couldn't shift her -but you go in kitchen and quietly open a bar of cadbury's choc and she was there.
Best dog we had and after all those years I am now a cat man.

Ha.
Years ago before I left home (1972) we had a English bull terrier -White with black dot on her face - We had open fires and unlimited free coke (as in the burning stuff) - She would lay on floor with her nose touching grate - she could be burning her nose and stinking hot and you couldn't shift her -but you go in kitchen and quietly open a bar of cadbury's choc and she was there.
Best dog we had and after all those years I am now a cat man.
I have a cat that can be fast asleep anywhere in the house, but magically appear the instant you attempt to covertly open a packet of sliced meat.

Serious wood burner question now…

Has anyone tried to repaint the inside of a wood burner? What paint did you use and how did it work out?

It should be noted that this is an ongoing argument between the Handyman and the Stylist à Chez Moi.

I took ours apart and sprayed the innards with some bbq paint just to tart it up. Still looks reasonable after a few fires.
I also used some grate polish on the outside to smarten it up.

Hey fire pals! My new(ish) flat has a fireplace, which I love. It's pretty tiny - only about the depth and width of one log at best, but it's better than no fireplace. I've had it chimney swept and have been using it over the last few weeks. Photo below.

I'm wondering two things:

- I think it's probably too small a space to knock it out and put a wood burner in, and even if not it may be a pretty expensive job? What do you think?
- Is there any way, in fireplaces like this, to have an adjustable airflow? At present, with the chimney open, it draws really well, which means that I lose a lot of heat, and it ploughs through logs. Can you get something which sits below the flue whose opening is adjustable?

Microsoft-Teams-image-1.jpg

Hey fire pals! My new(ish) flat has a fireplace, which I love. It's pretty tiny - only about the depth and width of one log at best, but it's better than no fireplace. I've had it chimney swept and have been using it over the last few weeks. Photo below.

I'm wondering two things:

- I think it's probably too small a space to knock it out and put a wood burner in, and even if not it may be a pretty expensive job? What do you think?
- Is there any way, in fireplaces like this, to have an adjustable airflow? At present, with the chimney open, it draws really well, which means that I lose a lot of heat, and it ploughs through logs. Can you get something which sits below the flue whose opening is adjustable?

Microsoft-Teams-image-1.jpg
Open fires are pretty awful as a heat source unless they are massive, and even then you'll be burning through a huge amount of logs. They are for pubs and large houses for occasional use and cosy feel ideally. They are by far and away the worst offenders for smoke and particulate pollution too, many orders of magnitude worse than a wood burning stove. And similarly worse for air quality in the room, though as long as you have a decent draw that shouldn't be a primary concern.

If you are serious about burning wood as a heat source then I would look into if it's possible to put a stove in. Might be 2k or 3k to get it done, something like that.

I think there are some systems where open fires like that have an air control where it goes into the chimney but they are quite rare and you'll need some horrible sort of retrofit/replacement anyway.

Last edited:
Open fires are pretty awful as a heat source unless they are massive, and even then you'll be burning through a huge amount of logs. They are for pubs and large houses for occasional use and cosy feel ideally. They are by far and away the worst offenders for smoke and particulate pollution too, many orders of magnitude worse than a wood burning stove. And similarly worse for air quality in the room, though as long as you have a decent draw that shouldn't be a primary concern.

If you are serious about burning wood as a heat source then I would look into if it's possible to put a stove in. Might be 2k or 3k to get it done, something like that.

I think there are some systems where open fires like that have an air control where it goes into the chimney but they are quite rare and you'll need some horrible sort of retrofit/replacement anyway.
Thanks! Yeah, it's not my primary source of heating, more a bit of a treat to have on from time to time, but even so a wood stove would be preferable.

I'll look into costs. Thanks!

Never really used fire lighters since we got our first burner years ago.

The one on the kitchen can take some getting going of it's particularly cold outside due to the exposed twin wall flue

I bought some of these, cheap, from the local B&M

1000041279-01.jpg

They work well and are individually wrapped (you burn in the wrapper) but still are quite smelly

Just had some of these arrive

1000041340-01.jpg

1000041341-01.jpg

Certainly look and feel great and come highly recommend - anyone else used them?

Will report back :)

Back
Top Bottom