Firefox 4.0 available to download. Official Release tomorrow

Yup it should do as it's using the GPU although the fanspeed shouldn't go up to full 3D levels like you were gaming. Mine only goes up a bit, not enough to make any intruding noises and my PC is ambient room quiet.

the flashes of yucky blue every few page loads is a bit naff though. just like ABP, stylish for chrome is still a fair way behind the firefox version.

Weird I get no flashes at all! I did do a mod to it to fix that in the script ages ago and I've since forgotten what it was :/

I used to get the flashing in Chrome too, I'm pretty sure I also fixed it some way too...

Back on topic, firefox 4 seems a lot more responsive on my netbook and desktop and starts up faster too, really impressed with the speed increases, less reason to use chrome :) I also like the new look and layout.

I still want a way to implement the pie chart style tab progress things that were in the earlier betas. Have been trying to do it in stylish but I don't think there is a way.

anyone else get it now if you click anywhere on a page you get a blinking cursor as though you can type there but you can't? makes it very annoying as you think you click a text field but instead just outside of it

edit: also anyone know of an extension that hides the url bar to say 1/5 the normal size, but when you click it it grows to full size but instead of pushing what's to the right it just overlays it whilst it's highlighted and then goes back to normal when you deselect it? seems like a waste of space given that i rarely use it but i need it for web work

Last edited:
Sorry if this has been asked already, but do you need to uninstall firefox 3 before installing firefox 4?

Not if you dont want to.

Run the auto update feature, it might download a newer version of 3.6 first, but run it again, and it will pick up version 4.

If you have loads of add ons, then well its up to you if you want to run the auto update method, as some of the updates might not be compatible.

But the browser will handle that for you.

It's DirectWrite. IE9 also has a similar kind of issue. MS did release an update which hasn't helped everyone. Mine is fine on webpages but bookmark menu fonts are slightly less dark - So not really a bother :p

I think ATI gpu users suffer the worst though.

Back
Top Bottom