Firmware update for the Samsung 840 EVO drives out tomorrow

Soldato
I backed up some data before hand (not much though, I don't keep a lot of "data" on the SSD (just OS and some games that benefit from load times).

30ish minutes in at 88%. This is a 250GB EVO with approx. 50% free space.

I happened to check the total data written just yesterday (was 2TB) so will check again after the process is completed and report back.

Associate
OP
I will ask the question to Samsung about the wear on the drive. I am not sure if they will have the data on that.

I have also added the link to the software in the OP now.

Last edited:
Soldato
I backed up some data before hand (not much though, I don't keep a lot of "data" on the SSD (just OS and some games that benefit from load times).

30ish minutes in at 88%. This is a 250GB EVO with approx. 50% free space.

I happened to check the total data written just yesterday (was 2TB) so will check again after the process is completed and report back.

Just checked, and the drive has now written 2.12TB (or ~120GB more than before the utility was run). This is the same amount of data on the drive, and I would therefore conclude that it's simply moved all of the data from one cell to another so that it's all "new" files, and the firmware update prevents the problem recurring.

Soldato
Just checked, and the drive has now written 2.12TB (or ~120GB more than before the utility was run). This is the same amount of data on the drive, and I would therefore conclude that it's simply moved all of the data from one cell to another so that it's all "new" files, and the firmware update prevents the problem recurring.

Thanks for reporting back, I was going to do the same check (probably still will anyway!) :)

Don
Has the firmware version changed?

Or is this a tool they expect us to run on a monthly basis to restore the performance each time?

edit, looks like it's gone from

EXT0BB6Q
to
EXT0CB6Q

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah I was suspicious of it adding a drive amount of wear to your drive.

Technically to fix this issue then samsung are causing unecessary wear to the drive.

While I'm happy that they fix it I think it's a bit naughty that they are reducing the life of my drive to fix their problem.

Probably being too picky... but TLC nand doesn't last as long as MLC in the first place.

In my case I got an RMA drive so I don't have much to moan about but everyone should be aware there drive will get significant wear.

Hopefully this total re-write will not effect write performance casued by massive re-writes to the drive. I'm guessing samsung thought of that... but you do wonder.

Last edited:
Associate
SRXi9n.png

CJKnLc.png

this is after the upgrade .... before it looked like someone having a heart attack

V F

V F

Soldato
Yeah I was suspicious of it adding a drive amount of wear to your drive.

Technically to fix this issue then samsung are causing unecessary wear to the drive.

While I'm happy that they fix it I think it's a bit naughty that they are reducing the life of my drive to fix their problem.

Probably being too picky... but TLC nand doesn't last as long as MLC in the first place.

In my case I got an RMA drive so I don't have much to moan about but everyone should be aware there drive will get significant wear.

Hopefully this total re-write will not effect write performance casued by massive re-writes to the drive. I'm guessing samsung thought of that... but you do wonder.

Is this confirmed or is this peoples assumptions? Everyone keeps coming up with their own summaries…. All I keep reading is peoples own views on what they think is happening.

Back
Top Bottom