Firmware update for the Samsung 840 EVO drives out tomorrow

Associate
Updated my 250GB evo just now. Never noticed a problem before if im honest mind.

This is what I and a few others have been saying, yet some have sold or returned their EVOs in order to get a "better" SSD. Their choice, I suppose. If this update turns out to not fix the problem properly, then it may have been a wise decision, otherwise it would appear to have been a bit hasty, and possibly more trouble than it was worth.

And for those worried about the "massive" ;) amount of data writes that's require to implement this fix....

http://ssdendurancetest.com/ssd-endurance-test-report/Samsung-840-EVO-120

It's not entirely clear if the 78.47 TiB written was as far as the SSD under test got before failing, but if it did fail at that point, it means that writing 100-200 (ish) GB to "refresh" an EVO after the firmware update isn't going to make any significant difference to it's lifespan. Yes, there's a principal involved, but it's not really worth mentioning IMHO.

V F

V F

Soldato
This is what I and a few others have been saying, yet some have sold or returned their EVOs in order to get a "better" SSD. Their choice, I suppose. If this update turns out to not fix the problem properly, then it may have been a wise decision, otherwise it would appear to have been a bit hasty, and possibly more trouble than it was worth.

You mean like football games? You're only good as your last game…

Soldato
Is this confirmed or is this peoples assumptions? Everyone keeps coming up with their own summaries…. All I keep reading is peoples own views on what they think is happening.

Here's what happened with my 250GB EVO, and others seem to have the same results.

My drive had approx 120GB (or 0.12TB) of data on it.

• Running Samsung Magician showed me that the drive had done a total of 2TB of writes before running the tool
  • After running the tool the drive had done a total of 2.12TB of writes
  • Ergo (vis a vis, concordantly), one of the operations that the tool performs is rewriting ALL of the data on the drive once (Presumably the purpose of this is to make all of the files "new" to eliminate the pre-existing issue of the slow read performance on "old" files)
  • Benchmarking prior to running the tool showed that average read performance was around 170MB/s
  • Benchmarking after running the tool showed performance back to "new drive" levels, ~440MB/s average
  • Drive firmware was updated to the latest version (incidentally, not downloadable separately) as pert of running the tool. I assume the purpose of this firmware update is to avoid the problem recurring once fixed.

Associate
And for those worried about the "massive" ;) amount of data writes that's require to implement this fix....

http://ssdendurancetest.com/ssd-endurance-test-report/Samsung-840-EVO-120

It's not entirely clear if the 78.47 TiB written was as far as the SSD under test got before failing, but if it did fail at that point, it means that writing 100-200 (ish) GB to "refresh" an EVO after the firmware update isn't going to make any significant difference to it's lifespan. Yes, there's a principal involved, but it's not really worth mentioning IMHO.

If its a one off then I would agree, however I haven't seen an explanation yet of how the firmware update prevents the problem reoccurring.

If the update repeats the process in the background monthly for example then it is significant.

Associate
So here's my before and after on a 120GB (with OS installed), still have a 250 and 500GB to go. Slight variations though the fact I've appeared to lose 3GB of free space is quite annoying when space is always at a premium.

Last edited:
Associate
No one seems to have an answer to 'will it work on a raid' I have 2 250gb Evos in raid0. Who with a raid setup is going to test first.

If no answer by tomorrow I'll go for it.

Back
Top Bottom