First PC Build - Warning, thread will have blunders.

Associate
just a small blob, seriously like a small garden pea size thats all ya need.. gotta think it compresses when ya screw it down, its surprising how little u need when u remove the cooler and see that a little really does go a long way

Associate
OP
Okay, I've put the PSU in now as well, with the help of my glamourous assistant who is very good with a screwdriver.

Will end for the night there, speak tomorrow! Thanks for the assistance tonight! Will have to hope why CPU is at the correct temps tomorrow otherwise I'll have to order new paste when reapplying!!

Soldato
Will have to hope why CPU is at the correct temps tomorrow otherwise I'll have to order new paste when reapplying!!
You should be OK - looking back at the thread. There should have still been enough paste to make full contact with the CPU - even after cleaning one surface. You ideally want the smallest amount possible - you're only looking to fill in the imperfections between the CPU and heatsink. In an ideal world there would be a perfect seal without the need of paste.

Soldato
Ah okay so it doesn't need to cover it all the way, should be fine then, it seemed quite blotchy but it was definitely more paste than not paste
If you were to de-lid the CPU you would see that the processor die is sat centrally (it's rectangular so not equidistant from all sides) and doesn't run the full length of the lid.

Another vid:

Soldato
Part 2..
I feel like the worst is over. Time to just plug stuff in.

Had many nightmares last night about this whole polava.

Take your time :) just get cables in and boot to bios . Worry about cable management afterwards !

Also if doing clean install of Windows, leave all settings to default . Then you can go back, enable XMP for ram and play with ryzen boost settings etc etc

Associate
OP
Those front panel cables are a ******* to get in. It also doesn't tell me which side is positive on some of them so I've just gone with writing on the top is correct way up

Associate
OP
9HRWH13.jpg

Also a red light on motherboard bottom right, is that correct?
Edit: read manual, no operating system, all good!

Only other thing is the blue power light on the front flashing, that doesn't seem correct

Associate
OP
Ah cheers, it all looks like it's actually working then. To be honest I'm astounded and have never been more proud of myself hahaha

Soldato
Some reason , when installing windows , it restarts it's it's and if you make the USB boot stick the main boot drive, you can sometimes get caught in an install loop. I tend to leave Drives as main boot, but when splash screen appears " screen where it tells you to press delete for bios and other options. I believe F12 allows you to boot from a selected drive.
Select your Windows USB stick and will boot and launch windows :)

Well done ! And will look good once lighting is all set to green :)

Back
Top Bottom