Fishing - Anybody doing any ?

Soldato
L9PbcPZWhTIaiww3UHhzrZ_OVc714rEM0bcHqClwwICjTQZwwq58DgqcKUxDuPuQBeu2UNUTweU1AxdI_sgDrQlH4J-KArCOAA=w1680-h1050-no

Y50AZL_AjN_smLBZPxrEtxv2yC7upZ9jyfYFrCcSlEn9of8-961znM1na1gvG1XWGZ0qQpns-j7HvtVlEeotgorjPxN6tucRJQ=w1680-h1050-no

Ok, ok, not quite as much plastic! foot & case, spool and handle where it matters is metal alloy, the plastic rotor is the same as the spheros. Less wobble than the hyper loop in use..

Last edited:
Soldato
"invested" ;) in some Sufix 832 26Lb (12Kg) 0.18mm braid .. 250m fills the spools nicely - hoping that S doesn't find out the cost ....

Man of Honour
i could do with re-spooling my reels, ive had my Shimano f/s for about 4-5 years.. its still got the same line on that i put on when i bought it :D

Soldato
i could do with re-spooling my reels, ive had my Shimano f/s for about 4-5 years.. its still got the same line on that i put on when i bought it :D

:D

Father inlaw has switched over to braid (Kast King) for his predator lure rods, but I think he's still on mono for the beach casters.

I use the same 6000 FS on the boat and on the beach caster - 30lb braid no real problems other than the occasional wind knot... (Power Pro). Just shove a 80lb shock leader on and no casting/abrasion issues :D

Man of Honour
probably wrong time of year but how would i go about learning, and licenses etc?
picked up a handline, super small and light for hiking with.

any good lakes/rivers in any of the national parks in england to head to and any suggestions on the hooks and other parts to put on the line. Preferably catch and eat.

mainly as i'm trying to get permits to do a multi week hike next year, where they have trout in lakes and seems like a good way to kill sometime and hopefully get some extra calories.

28tc21l.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Sea fishing doesn't have licences, but estuary (inside) and rivers/freshwater have government licences and also some local landowner authorisation/licence.

Soldato
Spent today after big Blonde Rays and Bass.

Anchored up, and it wasn't long before I had a tell tale bite on my 5-10oz (20-30lb class) untide rod. With 30lb braid main line and 40lb snood.. the rod was bent double, the large dustbin lid was stripping line off the Spheros 6000 like a tuna or tope. I tried to put some back into it by turning up the drag.. it was either snap the rod or the line... 10 minutes and pop the mainline came back snapped off!

So out went my trusty 50lb downtide rod, armed with 50lb braid and 40lb snood... it wasn't long before started to attempt to reel in on the multiplier and the rod was bent double, line being stripped off the reel again.. the fish kiting, 10 minutes passed,.. still down deep, 10 minutes passed everything aching, a battle of stamina ensued. minutes went past.. I had to up the drag to as much as the reel could do.. 20 minutes and it was cruising in the middle water with me pulling really really hard... it broke the surface a distance away.. a big blonde ray and it was massive - even at distance.
Pulling hard to get the thing to come closer to the boat and *pop*... the 40lb snood snapped.

A mate of mine had the same - big blonds stripping line and snapping lines. 80 lb minimum snoods. The skipper (the sign of experience) pulled in a 20lb and a 23lb blonde.

So put a new 80lb snood on and re-baited.. and up popped a little blonde ray. Returned.

... then the dog fish arrived.. I lost count of the number of dog fish I've caught today.. some big ones (almost small smooth hound sized!).

Bass?...

Soldato
Well we did some drifting for bass in 18 ft of water.

KERPOW - little 35g metal lures, jellies and jigs on my little rod and new reel..

I lost my first when the swivel jammed in the ring. I got my second but returned it as it was about 38-40cm. the lure shot over me and stuck in my floatation suit butt..

I switched to a jig and pow! a decent bass.. so into the box it went.

We remained and then out of the blue on my little 8-12lb spinning rod and the new reel again .. it bent over double and up came a very angry 5lb bass. I didn't managed to keep the fish under water/lift quick and it shook the lure free. Annoyed but you're only allowed one bass to take home so I would have had to nurse the other bass and return it (still alive)..

My mate caught his first bass (decent 5lber). I caught my first proper sided bass (rather than a 8 inch one on a beach caster). The skipper caught his supper too.

So today I have:
a) almost caught my biggest ray (i.e. equipment breaking)
b) caught & returned a new species (blonde ray)
c) caught my largest bass
d) caught & returned lots of dogfish :D

Soldato
Got some money for xmas.. enough to cover another Vecelli Rod (for flatties etc), a lure rod or a TLD Charter special. Decisions, decisions..

I shore fish with Cainer (when the planets align!) and with the Mrs' dad in france and on vacation. I'll put bait out with leads and even for small stuff too using a 8ft spinning rod.

I boat fish on my own and with others out of hayling and Brighton - covering a range including deep water, wrecking, inland reefs and drifting in 18ft.. with bait, jellies and jigs. I have 20-50g spinning rod, 20lb boat rod, 20-30lb uptide and a 50lb rod with fixed spool reels.

So a second beach caster would work with the exage 4000, the heavier Vecelli unabomber 450 works well with the spheros 6000SW that I use for boats.. It would get used..
However so would a longer casting lure rod from shore with light weights and small droppers for smaller fish (flatties/bass/wrasse).. and that could be used with jigs for bass jigging on the boat or shore too (although my existing 8ft 20-50g works for the boat -bass/pollack/flatties/whiting etc).
Last option is the TLD .. 14kg of drag.. to replace my 50lb rod multi that's chinese and is making cranky noises..

Hmm.. leaning towards the beach caster to replace the glassfibre thing I use as a second rod at the moment..

Soldato
Ok, ordered a Vecelli Superfast 420 :D

Banana rod and Orange rod.. :D

So the Unabomber 450 will put a heavier lead (100-250g with bait) with an overhead cast a decent distance. The Superfast 420 is lighter and more sensitive (100-200g with bait) so a lighter setup for flatties etc.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Ok, ordered a Vecelli Superfast 420 :D

Banana rod and Orange rod.. :D

So the Unabomber 450 will put a heavier lead (100-250g with bait) with an overhead cast a decent distance. The Superfast 420 is lighter and more sensitive (100-200g with bait) so a lighter setup for flatties etc.

you must have enough rods now to start your own tackle shop :p

Soldato
Today.. 9.5lb personal best .. hand is 8" long for scale.

IMG_2712.JPG

Caught on my little 20-50g 8ft spinning rod & exage 4000 on a white isome lure.

Had a mass of bass today! Along with dogfish and finally a fish I could take and put in the frying pan - a massive Gurnard!

Back
Top Bottom