Fishing - Anybody doing any ?

Soldato
Just compared the super fast's tip with the little sea spin 20-50g rod that Cainer's seen me use! Can't wait for some flattie bashing - it's more sensitive too.

AYMlkwCb8jQQhzyIOKZ_hLWOgffV44ebNxjoKfU0Pbbnq5egx6Fvcn4sOsN1HrSddyA9GksFUrmyoYM9bJcIidSYYvXz4tup=w1680-h1050-no

Man of Honour
Just compared the super fast's tip with the little sea spin 20-50g rod that Cainer's seen me use! Can't wait for some flattie bashing - it's more sensitive too.

AYMlkwCb8jQQhzyIOKZ_hLWOgffV44ebNxjoKfU0Pbbnq5egx6Fvcn4sOsN1HrSddyA9GksFUrmyoYM9bJcIidSYYvXz4tup=w1680-h1050-no

ive got a couple of caravan breaks down at Selsey booked up for some Smooth hound fishing in June and July, il mail you the dates at some point so if your free you could pop down and give it a go,
il also be doing a few day trips to the Marina when the weather picks up a bit

Soldato
ive got a couple of caravan breaks down at Selsey booked up for some Smooth hound fishing in June and July, il mail you the dates at some point so if your free you could pop down and give it a go,
il also be doing a few day trips to the Marina when the weather picks up a bit

Certainly will need to look - work OTT busy but as I've been driving the resourcing.. it means I have some time at last :D I have more days than the mrs in vacation so at some point I will need to use a couple fishing :D

Both Marina and Selsey - July seem great options :D

Man of Honour
Certainly will need to look - work OTT busy but as I've been driving the resourcing.. it means I have some time at last :D I have more days than the mrs in vacation so at some point I will need to use a couple fishing :D

Both Marina and Selsey - July seem great options :D

some huge Plaice have just come out from the Marina, one of 50cm and a cracker at 60cm that weighed 3.7lbs :o

Soldato
With the season finished i find myself going back to a bit of carp fishing. As much as i like gearing up and grabbing bait, I am not a big fan of pre-made rigs and baits and such as that is a big part of the fishing experience for me. With boilies being so expensive ive decided to start making them, anyone else here make boilies and have a half decent recipe?

Man of Honour
when i was carping a lot in the early/mid 90's i made my own for a while, used to roll/boil them on the side of the lake
managed to catch a few so they worked but i cant remember how i made them it was so long ago,
but then i started buying them on the cheap as a few guys at the local lakes were sponsored by kevin nash,
iirc i was paying £10 for a 5kg bag ;)
id pretty much given it up and moved over to sea fishing by the end of the 90's

Soldato
So finally managed to get out on a boat since new year and over in france got a quick session with the Vercelli Superfast 420 with the father-in-law. Cainer - work is starting to become a little more structured and predicable.. so in the next couple of months I should be in a position to put a day or two in.

The Superfast is a light rod - slim and thin walled which means 100-200g casting weight is more like sweet spot of 120-145g lead + baits. It's tip is hybrid solid glass rather than tubular and so it will pick up bites easily but not rattle too much in a stiff blow. I was casting 130g a fair distance and it showed everything including my only fish of the session - a smallish whiting.
In contrast the Vercelli Unabomber 450 is about shoving 170+ lead and 1/2 a mackerel as far into the distance as possible. It's tubular tip will show the same bite but not as vividly. Don't get me wrong - I love it, and it will show small fish bites.. but it's a little overkill!

I've also gone and got a lightweight rod. So I have a Daiwa Megaforce 282cm (9') 5-18g casting freshwater predator rod (10-20lb line), Daiwa Crossfire 2500 (4kg drag) and some 0.15mm braid. Cheap and even cheaper with 34% off the reel. This will be my light rod for inshore boat and shore work :)

Man of Honour
Can anyone point me in what hooks and anything else I need and any guides.
got a hand fishing line and am planning to go to the lakes in a few weeks and do some wild caming and try trout fishing.

Soldato
Can anyone point me in what hooks and anything else I need and any guides.
got a hand fishing line and am planning to go to the lakes in a few weeks and do some wild caming and try trout fishing.

Are you looking to try fly fishing or course fishing?

What lake are you going to?

If you are on the fly, the May fly's will be out in force at the end of the month and will likely let you catch on most anything that doesn't sink too quick, so long as your casting is good enough to get it into the water!

If you are just looking to do some camping and catch fish any which way, i would probably take a rod or two, a few small lures for when you want to do more active fishing and size 6/8 hooks for baited set-ups. If the lake/river is natural and rarely fished, then stick to natural baits like worm to start with, pellet if you get no takes. If it is a fishery, they will likely take anything you give them pellet/sweetcorn/bread/dog biscuits are my favourite for longer trips as as the bait keeps well. I would probably bring some smaller hooks and bait if the trout are having none of it and you just fancy catching something 14/16's are my go to for small silver fish.

As for guides, plenty are just a google away after you decide what type of fishing you want to do. That said, dont get too caught up in the complexities of it. All too much do people over analyse things when creating a set up and you are better off with a simple setup that works and does not tangle, rather than some intricate thing thats the flash new way to target xxxx with yyyy.

If you want video guides on course fishing, my favourite TV fisherman from the 90's (Matt Hayes) has some cracking youtube guides on float fishing and feeder fishing. For lure fishing, Mick Brown is another great TV fisherman that has plenty of videos online.

Soldato
I am a group member here : https://www.facebook.com/groups/468134279956675/ used to be fairly active but it seems to be picking up again with a few new members joining.

We did Colwyn bay a few weeks ago and caught a few small whiting. I need to sort all my gear out again and re-purchase any missing things.

@NickK - I think I have that same Shimano Reel as you. I can't remember the model though!

Last edited:
Soldato
its a hand fishing line, so what ever type of fishing that is.
not sure where but one of the tarns in the lakes which has trout in them.

Hand line fishing, as in holding a spool of line and using just a hook with bait?

I would be hesitant to tell you that will work as i would imagine it depends heavily on the water. I imagine you need to have half decent depth at the waters edge, plenty of fish in the lake and also fearless, hungry fish that are desperate for food. Outside of private, overstocked day-waters, i cant see much trout being caught by hand line.

If gear is putting you off rod fishing, i will say that a small, lightweight telescopic rod and reel can be had for fairly cheap and will be good enough to catch most things.

If you are sure you can catch on hand-line, then i imagine similar sized hooks as before. 6-8 for large trout but i would probably bring some 14's in case the trout are too shy to go in range and you fancy small silverfish. Live moving bait like worms, maggots work best, sweet corn is a great shout too as it is bright and easy to see bites that are not strong enough to feel. I would also recommend bread, as most fish love it and its easy to see fish take it. Bread also floats, which is a big plus around Mayfly time where fish love taking anything that hits the surface near them, though you will have to find a way to work round how hard it will be to cast lightweight and non aerodynamic baits like bread without a rod/weight.

Man of Honour
yep handline, its for weight saving.
and no not confident in catching anything, never fished before. But want to give it a try, when I do long hiking trails it would be nice.

This is how it comes. So just put a hook on the end, no weights or flies or anything?
28tc21l.jpg

Back
Top Bottom