Folding@Home Weekly Team News - 15th June 2006

Soldato
Sorry i was assuming you had the pc's set to shut down immediately when the power goes off. I expect a capacitor could be used to delay switch off but it wouldn't be intelligent like the ups software.

You could plug the ups into a old pc and when that turns off (stops drawing power) the rest will recieve a shutdown signal via the motherboard PWR_ON connector. The only problems with that are you need a master pc to tell the others what to do and if that pc fails for some reason everything will get switched off. You could connect your thermostat to that pc aswell so everything gets turned off when it gets too hot.

Associate
Mmmm It seems complicated... I don't do complicated... :o

I think the proper way is to setup a server that issues a shutdown command to all the other PC's on the network then shuts itself down. The only problem is I would have absolutley no idea how to go about setting that up :(

Soldato
Indeed, which is why i reckon its easier to do it manually and instead of issuing a command, short the power on wires instead.

Just got to make some electrickery to do that when the master pc goes off.

I wonder if you can get a ups that connects to a network, or connects to a network via a pc and allows the software to work on all networked pcs.

Soldato
OP
can't you just set a maximum temperature in the bios???? :confused:

i'm pretty sure most motherboards will let you set temperatures beyond which the system will shut down - otherwise I'm sure you can find a software solution based on temperature monitoring

Associate
I tend to find that the BIOS shutdown is just a pull the power cord as quick as possible method.

I know Motherboard Monitor 5 can initiate a temperature controlled shutdown.

Thats not the problem really, I want to save some money and space. UPS's are only like £20 for a low power one but there not exactly small, I need 4 more for the older PC's and my next rig is gonna need a bigger one.

Think I'll just buy 4 low power UPS's, I can't be bothered with the fuss :o

Soldato
sr4470 said:
Ribosomes are pretty important, they synthesize RNA which then gets joined together into DNA. (Biology students can correct me if I'm wrong here :p )
:eek: I hope my body doesn't do that!

A gene in the DNA is transcribed to RNA in the nucleus of a cell. This is sent to the ribsomes in the cell, where the code in the RNA is used to determine the order in which amino-acids are joined together to form proteins. The different order of bases (the components of RNA) determines which protein is formed.

Soldato
A.N.Other said:
:eek: I hope my body doesn't do that!

A gene in the DNA is transcribed to RNA in the nucleus of a cell. This is sent to the ribsomes in the cell, where the code in the RNA is used to determine the order in which amino-acids are joined together to form proteins. The different order of bases (the components of RNA) determines which protein is formed.

Yeah, knew I had something wrong there. Thanks for the input :) Been a long time since I did biology A-level...

Soldato
sr4470 said:
Yeah, knew I had something wrong there. Thanks for the input :) Been a long time since I did biology A-level...
Ahh ... that's where I have an advantage. I have 2 Biology A2 modules tomorrow (although that stuff is AS), so everythings fresh in my mind...

well sort of :o

Soldato
OP
Joe42 said:
Are they?
Cheapest i can find is £40
OcUK were doing them very cheap a while ago - not sure if they still are though :(

edit: nope they are back to full price now - it was quite some time ago
if my memory is correct then it was the 500VA one and was only around £20 - definately a bargain

Last edited:
Associate
Oh damn now I let the cat out of the bag.

Here kitty kitty kitty...

I relised before any of you said lol

My net is just so slow :( takes my ages to do anything cause I'm downloading. Only 512kb/s down.

Soldato
Corran said:
Another 56 pointer... that must be about the 7th one in a row now. Why on earth are we getting so many of these?

My worst fears have been confirmed. Upon completion of my nice 266 pointer I have no got my 3rd possibly 4th 56 pointer.

I wonder if those pesky russians have paid standford to send Team OcUK all the crap WUs lol

SiriusB

Soldato
OP
Corran said:
Another 56 pointer... that must be about the 7th one in a row now. Why on earth are we getting so many of these?
it will be due to the number of servers currently gone down, at least these small WUs will be in almost limitless quantities until the nicer work comes back since as soon as each one is returned a whole load more can be produced if required

PPD-wise they don't seem too bad on my GF's machine (XP1700@2100MHz) getting between 100-110 PPD

If you're really sick of them reconfigure to allow deadlineless work and see if you can get some 240ish point Tinkers as they usually go down pretty well :)

Soldato
rich99million said:
it will be due to the number of servers currently gone down, at least these small WUs will be in almost limitless quantities until the nicer work comes back since as soon as each one is returned a whole load more can be produced if required

PPD-wise they don't seem too bad on my GF's machine (XP1700@2100MHz) getting between 100-110 PPD

If you're really sick of them reconfigure to allow deadlineless work and see if you can get some 240ish point Tinkers as they usually go down pretty well :)

I might do that on one of my cores if this keeps up lol. A 56point WU finishes in an hour so lets see if I get something nice :D

SiriusB

Back
Top Bottom