Folding@Home Weekly Team News - 15th June 2006

Associate
I dunno. I think for the people that just hang about in GH, you could go for the 'Is your computer as good as ours' angle. That would get the attention of the people with only one or two high performance machines.

Or for the people that just drop in for tech help, you could go for the medical benefit angle, which might encourage them to stay and encourage their friends to join up. I mean how many people go sign up, get the help they need from GH and then don't come back. I should imagine quite a few.

Hmmm this is an akward one. Go for both. You could have something like 'Help fight disease and see how your computer fares against ours' or somthing to that effect.

Soldato
OP
lucifersam said:
I just read on the extreme overclocking site that the russians are a total of about 7 hours from overtaking us which will demote us into 51st place! that 2 places lost in a week! :eek:
what are you going on about? :p :D

we are currently in 48th and have been for quite some time (since we stomped the last lot of slackers), when the russians catch up with us sometime in the next 2-3hrs we will then be 49th

the confusion comes if you include the two "aggregate teams" of google and team 0 (no team allocation) which puts us in 50th now and 51st in a few hours - since these two "teams" aren't made up of people choosing to compete in groups as such they are not counted in most of the stats

shame the ruskies have almost got us :(
though we definately did put up a decent last-minute fight :)

edit: stats as of last update at Stanford

Code:
48th  	 10   	  OcUK   	  16,059,255   	  147,454
49th 	47191 	TSC! Russia 	16,054,198 	109,602
we might just survive the next hourly update but it'll be very close if so

Last edited:
Soldato
We will be stomping Linux in a couple of days thanks to all the new users so we will regaining our 48th place.

Unfortunately we will need to boost our production if we want to start stomping again, as it will be months before we get to 47th and beyond.

Soldato
rich99million said:
that's the only problem with Large WUs - currently one of my X2 cores is munching a rather large Beta WU and is exactly 50% done with another 2days 10hours to go :eek:

how's the Blacktop getting on? :)

Blacktop is struggling with an AMBER at the moment :D

I think its going to take another day to process, he's frying his little P4M 1.8 24/7 though and hopes to pop out some points soon.

Considered Borging all the works 2.8Ghz P4s (we have about 20 in the office) but if I got found out I'd be hung drawn and quartered and its not worth my life :D

MB

Soldato
Matblack said:
Blacktop is struggling with an AMBER at the moment :D

I think its going to take another day to process, he's frying his little P4M 1.8 24/7 though and hopes to pop out some points soon.

Considered Borging all the works 2.8Ghz P4s (we have about 20 in the office) but if I got found out I'd be hung drawn and quartered and its not worth my life :D

MB

weeeeeell, you cant be blamed for a pesky folding virus... :D

SiriusB

Soldato
OP
Whitestar said:
Well were still hanging on.
Code:
48  10  OcUK  16060280  147460  
49  TSC! Russia  16056637  109617

Lets see if we can hold on for another hour.
We held it for another hour

Code:
48  	  10   	  OcUK   	  16062331   	  147473
49 	47191 	TSC! Russia 	16061306 	109639

but looks like 2 was just too many :o

Code:
48   	47191 	  TSC! Russia  	  16065371   	  109653
49      10          OcUK 	   16063355 	147478

looking at last week's EOC team overtake page we managed to hold them off for an extra day - maybe that doesn't seem much but I think it's very good for just one week - it translates to weeks on the medium range and months/years on the long range targets :cool:

sucks to lose a position but that should be rectified soon enough :)

Last edited:
Soldato
A few little targets for this team...
I want to see if we can achieve and maintain 150 active users and 50,000 average points per day enbling us to go red (or burgundy to distuinguish between the brighter red).

I'm also genuinely considering getting a folding rig. Still trying to think of a good excuse, spare gaming machine or htpc or something but its primary job will be to fold. I think i might wait for these price drops first tho.

Soldato
Joe42 said:
A few little targets for this team...
I want to see if we can achieve and maintain 150 active users and 50,000 average points per day enbling us to go red (or burgundy to distuinguish between the brighter red).

I'm also genuinely considering getting a folding rig. Still trying to think of a good excuse, spare gaming machine or htpc or something but its primary job will be to fold. I think i might wait for these price drops first tho.
fileservers best as (if its good enough) it uses VERY little REAL CPU time and doesn't need to be "used" my someone etc like a gaming PC would.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Finally got the new 805D machine built and folding (serious hangover after last night's Ouzo session slowed me down severely :o ).

Due to crappy cheap mobo, I've only managed to clock it to 3.0GHz but hey, for £350 I've got dual core 3GHz goodness.
Watching the onboard graphics struggling to get a decent display on my 2405 was quite amusing - will only work at 1024x768, anything higher and it dies :p Only on there for setting up purposes, I will be shifting stuff around tomorrow.

Currently munching it's way through a couple of GBGromacs at the moment - will be interesting to see how it compares to the A64 machines :)

That leaves me all of tomorrow (today actually) to play around with the X2 3800 and get it optimised for the start of the crunchathon :D

Zip

Zip

Soldato
Bigstan said:
Finally got the new 805D machine built and folding (serious hangover after last night's Ouzo session slowed me down severely ).

Due to crappy cheap mobo, I've only managed to clock it to 3.0GHz but hey, for £350 I've got dual core 3GHz goodness.
Watching the onboard graphics struggling to get a decent display on my 2405 was quite amusing - will only work at 1024x768, anything higher and it dies Only on there for setting up purposes, I will be shifting stuff around tomorrow.

Currently munching it's way through a couple of GBGromacs at the moment - will be interesting to see how it compares to the A64 machines

That leaves me all of tomorrow (today actually) to play around with the X2 3800 and get it optimised for the start of the crunchathon :D

How many more Folders have you got left to buy :D

I can see the Zip machine getting closer and closer :D :p :cool:

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Zip said:
How many more Folders have you got left to buy :D

I can see the Zip machine getting closer and closer :D :p :cool:

I'm going home to Shetland for a week next week. I'll see what cash is left after that and I may build another one - even if it's just another cheapo.

When I get my caravan sold, I'll be building a couple of decent ones and then the 4000 will get signed over :)

Zip

Zip

Soldato
Bigstan said:
I'm going home to Shetland for a week next week. I'll see what cash is left after that and I may build another one - even if it's just another cheapo.

When I get my caravan sold, I'll be building a couple of decent ones and then the 4000 will get signed over :)
Ah i see :)
Have a good time in the Shetlands. And bring i sleeping mask :cool:

Back
Top Bottom