Folding@Home Weekly Team News - 30th November 2006

Soldato
Concorde Rules said:
Im a student, and I have no quams about buying a new mac :D

And I need 2k for the Mac Pro + CS3

CS3 = £200
Mac Pro = £1,400
Then the rest for 74Gb Raptor and a 320Gb Storage HD.

You make me look poor, and im one to spend large sums on hardware! :eek:

As for me, i would do this

torrent = free
extra 2gigs of ram = around £230 for a high end set

I reinstall windows every month/2 weeks

Doesnt it get boring? or are you just avoiding activation :p
I used to be like that, now just keep an install for as long as possible, comp = does work for me, not the other way around.

Soldato
What the hell do you do to your windows installs to need reinstalling that often?? I've had this install since the start of the year and it's fine. The trick is to only install the bare minimum. Installing random crap kills windows, so don't!

CS3 - since when? What's new in it? I need's it methinks :)

Soldato
joeyjojo said:
What the hell do you do to your windows installs to need reinstalling that often?? I've had this install since the start of the year and it's fine. The trick is to only install the bare minimum. Installing random crap kills windows, so don't!

CS3 - since when? What's new in it? I need's it methinks :)

CS3 will be out by the time I can afford it :p Its designed for Intel Systems, thats the only reason im getting it.

As for reinstalling windows, to keep issues down to a minimum a reinstall always accompanies a new driver set, but average install time for my PC is 1 month ;)

Associate
Hmmmmmmmm well not a bad week for me even If i did get slaughtered by the somewhat dodgy Concorde ;).
Overall another good week although production is a little down, lets hope new SMP clients and GPU clients can push it back up soon.
Thanks for the news and the effort rich!
Any hardcore folders considering buying GPUs for pure folding now?

Last edited:
Soldato
I wish i could reinstall windows that often, but this is a working machine and i have at least 50 programs that would have to be reinstalled. It took several days the last time i did it a year ago, and that was because i was moving to new hardware to i had to do it.
I have been told by bf2 tech support that i must reinstall windows to get rid of the memory leak i'm suffering, but i'm not going to do it because it would take so long and i haven't time.
Why windows needs to be reinstalled so often i don't know. Ohh wait yes i do. Because its the 64-bit wannabe with a 32-bit graphics interface for 16-bit extensions to an 8-bit patch on a 4-bit operating system designed to run on a 2-bit processor by a company that can't stand 1-bit of competition.

Btw does anyone know how one can edit the firefox dictionary? I've accidentally added some words that aren't right and i want to remove them. I can find the dictionary but its not just the custom dictionary like word, its the entire dictionary in one notepad document with no spaces or gaps, just a huge string of words. I don't fancy sifting through that for my two or three accidentally entered words. There must be a document with just the custom dictionary somewhere like word has?

Just noticed the firefox dictionary doesn't recognise the word firefox. You'd have thought they might have put that in. :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Concorde Rules said:
CS3 will be out by the time I can afford it :p Its designed for Intel Systems, thats the only reason im getting it.

As for reinstalling windows, to keep issues down to a minimum a reinstall always accompanies a new driver set, but average install time for my PC is 1 month ;)

Drivers for what? Seriously it possible to install new drivers without the need to reinstall Windows. To do it properly you have to exterminate all traces of the old drivers and I have found that only a few drivers actually leave a mess. The amount of time it takes to get rid is negligible, especially compared to how long a reinstall of Windows takes.

You crazy I tell thee!

Laz-y-boy - I would suggest removing the torrent reference :p

SiriusB

Associate
rich99million said:
woot - 12th highest producer this week and just broke the 9K barrier :cool:

you lot must be slacking!!! :eek: ;)
I lost my GPU client for a week or so while I was traveling in Asia. It's back up and running full steam ahead. Going after the second 1950 card for my e6600 box this weekend so I suspect I'll be back up in the top ten next week :).

Soldato
SiriusB said:
Drivers for what? Seriously it possible to install new drivers without the need to reinstall Windows. To do it properly you have to exterminate all traces of the old drivers and I have found that only a few drivers actually leave a mess. The amount of time it takes to get rid is negligible, especially compared to how long a reinstall of Windows takes.

You crazy I tell thee!

Laz-y-boy - I would suggest removing the torrent reference :p

SiriusB

Well, for ATi Drivers that is the case, and mostly for chipset ones too, but the sound ones are completely rubbish so it really does to be reinstalled.

It takes me about ~ 2 hours to get back to what it was before the reinstall. Keeps things on its toes.

Soldato
None of those drivers warrant a reinstall though! I have reinstalled countless drivers including ATi and X-Fi drivers and my system is as squeaky clean and super responsive as the day I installed Windows.

Methinks you're going OTT :p But hey, to each their own!

SiriusB

Man of Honour
In the new year I'll be doing a complete re-install of my windows x64 box - it's stable and has been going strong for years - but I abhor having to spend hours getting it back to how I like it - still it would remove a lot of crap from it. I might even play with a bit of overclocking to try and get a bit more oomph out of it ;)

Soldato
Joe42 said:
Why windows needs to be reinstalled so often i don't know. Ohh wait yes i do. Because its the 64-bit wannabe with a 32-bit graphics interface for 16-bit extensions to an 8-bit patch on a 4-bit operating system designed to run on a 2-bit processor by a company that can't stand 1-bit of competition.
Ooooh!! Go Joe! :D

Soldato
joeyjojo said:
Ooooh!! Go Joe! :D
Well i must confess i dug that out of my quotes collection. ;)
SiriusB said:
None of those drivers warrant a reinstall though! I have reinstalled countless drivers including ATi and X-Fi drivers and my system is as squeaky clean and super responsive as the day I installed Windows.
Your system was super responsive after installing windows? What am i doing wrong? :p

Ok so mine was responsive with nothing except windows installed. As soon as i installed all my rubbish which i need to use the machine its slow as hell, always has been. What i probably need is two systems, one for gaming and one on which to do my day to day work and install all my rubbish. Or just a proper OS, but that ain't going to happen.

Heres a couple more windows quotes i found. posted before no doubt but still funny.

Someone wrote:
"I understand that if you play a Windows CD backwards you hear strange Satanic messages"
To which someone replied:
"It's even worse than that; play it forwards and it installs Windows"

Bill Gates vs General Motors
For all of us who feel only the deepest love and affection for the way computers have enhanced our lives, read on. At a recent computer expo (COMDEX), Bill Gates reportedly compared the computer industry with the auto industry and stated, "If General Motors had kept up with technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving $25.00 cars that got 1,000 miles to the gallon."

In response to Bill's comments, General Motors issued a press release stating:

If GM had developed technology like Microsoft, we would all be driving cars with the following characteristics:

1. For no reason whatsoever, your car would crash twice a day.
2. Every time they repainted the lines in the road, you would have to buy a new car.
3. Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason. You would have to pull to the side of the road, close all of the windows, shut off the car, restart it, and reopen the windows before you could continue. For some reason you would simply accept this.
4. Occasionally, executing a maneuver such as a left turn would cause your car to shut down and refuse to restart, in which case you would have to reinstall the engine.
5. Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun, was reliable, five times as fast and twice as easy to drive -- but would run on only five percent of the roads.
6. The oil, water temperature, and alternator warning lights would all be replaced by a single "This Car Has Performed An Illegal Operation" warning light.
7. The airbag system would ask "Are you sure?" before deploying.
8. Occasionally, for no reason whatsoever, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key and grabbed hold of the radio antenna.
9. Every time a new car was introduced car buyers would have to learn how to drive all over again because none of the controls would operate in the same manner as the old car.
10. You'd have to press the "Start" button to turn the engine off.

Soldato
joeyjojo said:
Lol excellent. Thanks for taking the time to write that out :D
Ctrl c, Ctrl v. :p

It occurs to me i do have a laptop i rarely use which i could use for my day to day stuff, but i would need a kvm... and it won't drive my displays.

Back
Top Bottom